Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sidblack  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2018 10:01:51(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
I was looking for lighting for the beautiful passenger coaches 4200, 4201 and 4202.
IMG_1442.jpg
They are being pulled by a BR 24. This makes a nice consist but the BR 24 really doesn’t have much pulling power so this lighting system which uses batteries instead of a slider seemed ideal.
I see that RayF has used them on some of his coaches and they look great.

They are a strip of LEDs powered by a battery. They can be bought individually or in packs of three.
I bought the pack of three which also includes a tail light which I haven’t fitted as yet.
IMG_1425.jpg
They are very easy to fit. First cut them to the required length. Because my carriages are quite short I needed to nearly cut them in half which seems a waste.
Simply remove the roof and put them in.
IMG_1445.jpg
I needed to cut the back of one of the seats to fit them properly as the battery is a little bulky in comparison to the whole unit.
The great thing about these is that they are movement sensitive i.e. they only come on when the train starts to move. After a few minutes of the train coming to a halt they will turn off again so the batteries are claimed to last for years. It’s only been a few weeks so far.
They work exactly as advertised. They come on immediately when the train starts to move and turn off again after a few minutes of being stationary.
I have the lights facing down which means they only effectively light every second compartment. If I put them in so the lights face upward into the light diffuser they produce a wonderful even light throughout the carriage. The problem is that it’s much more difficult to fit that way as I would have to cut away more of the seating and hack away at the light diffuser to make it fit, so I’ve settled on this compromise.
IMG_1452.jpgIMG_1449.jpg
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
//www.train-tech.com/index.php/lighting/interior-coach-lighting
thanks 21 users liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2018 23:41:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am converting all my coaches with Train Tech. Saves the noise and drag with slider and the current conducting couplers. Also the big plus is there is no flickering. As said above the lights go off after around four minutes if the coaches are not moving. You can also add individual lights to the unit to ensure even lighting. A great product.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2018 19:39:43(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Seems to cost around £20 a coach (if you have found it cheaper let me know!). At that sort of price I reckon it is a cheaper option and well worth it. Has anyone compared 'warm white' with 'white' or have I got this option from elsewhere? I like the yellow glow of incandescent bulbs...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2018 22:59:18(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
The warm white is quite yellow and suitable for early eras, so would be a good substitute for the older type of bulbs.

The white is very modern looking.

Iam also using these strips in some of my coaches. I prefer ESU strips with build in function decoders, but those are quite expensive.

The battery for the train tech last surprisingly long.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline jerdenberg  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2018 17:20:19(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
I'm wondering how (start and stop of) motion is detected, and how sensitive the detection is; does it work at any (extremely slow) acceleration, and does it work as expected when velocity is reduced, then kept constant for longer than 4 minutes?

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2018 17:45:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
I'm wondering how (start and stop of) motion is detected, and how sensitive the detection is; does it work at any (extremely slow) acceleration, and does it work as expected when velocity is reduced, then kept constant for longer than 4 minutes?

Jeroen

I think you will find it has a little accelerometer sensor similar to what cellphones use to work out the screen orientation. Any jolt or bump as the coach goes over a rail joint will be enough to be detected and turn the lights on.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2018 20:05:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The lights turn on as soon as there is any movement of the train. I have tried it with the train moving off at speed step one and the lights come on. It does not need a jolt or bump.

The lights stay on whatever speed the train goes until it is stopped completely for four minutes (approximately). There is no variation of the brightness of the lights apart from on and off.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2018 23:49:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The lighting strips can be shortened or extra lights added. Single lighting units are also available for loco cabs and goods wagons etc. Come complete with battery which lasts for ages. Having tried most units
this for me is the best at the price. Service from the firm is also good.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline jerdenberg  
#9 Posted : 10 October 2018 14:43:10(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I think you will find it has a little accelerometer sensor similar to what cellphones use to work out the screen orientation. Any jolt or bump as the coach goes over a rail joint will be enough to be detected and turn the lights on.

Indeed, that was my guess too. I guess it should be one with analog outputs, as I gather from search results that digital ones (that can signal motion vs no motion) need to be initialized/interfaced (from an Arduino or the like), as opposed to analog ones (e.g. 0–2V for -3g to +3g with ADXL335, which detects acceleration only, not motion vs no motion).

In the analog case, I would assume that every acceleration/deceleration (above some threshold) along track direction could be used to (re)set a simple 4-minute timer (with a low-voltage NE555 equivalent?) that switches/keeps the lights on, so there would be no need to actually detect "no motion", as the timer would not be reset anymore after the stop. That would achieve the behaviour Ray describes with no more than 2 ICs [the TrainTech set-up must be different, as I see a 6-lead IC there (555s have 8)].

An ADXL335 GY-61 module is on its way now, and if nothing else, I can satisfy my curiosity about the value of my above guesses when it's in my hands …

Jeroen

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 10 October 2018 15:21:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Indeed, that was my guess too. I guess it should be one with analog outputs, as I gather from search results that digital ones (that can signal motion vs no motion) need to be initialized/interfaced (from an Arduino or the like), as opposed to analog ones (e.g. 0–2V for -3g to +3g with ADXL335, which detects acceleration only, not motion vs no motion).

In the analog case, I would assume that every acceleration/deceleration (above some threshold) along track direction could be used to (re)set a simple 4-minute timer (with a low-voltage NE555 equivalent?) that switches/keeps the lights on, so there would be no need to actually detect "no motion", as the timer would not be reset anymore after the stop. That would achieve the behaviour Ray describes with no more than 2 ICs [the TrainTech set-up must be different, as I see a 6-lead IC there (555s have 8)].

An ADXL335 GY-61 module is on its way now, and if nothing else, I can satisfy my curiosity about the value of my above guesses when it's in my hands …

Jeroen

An ADXL335 WILL detect motion, by detecting the start and stop of the motion. There is no such thing as a motion detector, they are all acceleration detectors.

The six lead IC could well be a microprocessor. The PIC10F series have a number of 6 lead devices that would be ideal for this use.

Your assumption in the second paragraph is exactly how I would design it, and such a detector would be an easy project for a PIC10F device.
Offline jerdenberg  
#11 Posted : 10 October 2018 22:58:13(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   

An ADXL335 WILL detect motion, by detecting the start and stop of the motion. There is no such thing as a motion detector, they are all acceleration detectors.

The six lead IC could well be a microprocessor. The PIC10F series have a number of 6 lead devices that would be ideal for this use.

Your assumption in the second paragraph is exactly how I would design it, and such a detector would be an easy project for a PIC10F device.

Thanks Alan(?)

While there is no such thing as a motion detector, some digital-output accelerometers do produce a start/stop signal (an interrupt), but I did not look further into that.

Your mention of PIC10F has now sent me on a new avenue (the microprocessor world is new to me; I only recently acquired an Arduino Uno to play with).

Totally off-topic: we're exactly two weeks apart age-wise BigGrin

Jeroen

Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2018 23:28:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks Alan(?)

While there is no such thing as a motion detector, some digital-output accelerometers do produce a start/stop signal (an interrupt), but I did not look further into that.

Your mention of PIC10F has now sent me on a new avenue (the microprocessor world is new to me; I only recently acquired an Arduino Uno to play with).

Totally off-topic: we're exactly two weeks apart age-wise BigGrin

Jeroen

Ah great minds think alike. BigGrin

I haven't looked at a Train Tech lighting assembly, but you intimate there is only one chip on there. If it is an accelerometer with a stop/start output that may well be enough to drive the lights.

It shouldn't be too hard to identify the chip once its markings are known, even for the little six pin ones.

The PIC10F family need a bit of thinking about how to program them. The smallest ones have a very basic instruction set that needs to be programmed in assembly language (although there is a C compiler available I don't know how well it works for the basic range chips). They have some quirks in how to program them as the instruction set is limited.

Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2018 14:42:16(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   

I haven't looked at a Train Tech lighting assembly, but you intimate there is only one chip on there. If it is an accelerometer with a stop/start output that may well be enough to drive the lights.

It shouldn't be too hard to identify the chip once its markings are known, even for the little six pin ones.

The PIC10F family need a bit of thinking about how to program them. The smallest ones have a very basic instruction set that needs to be programmed in assembly language (although there is a C compiler available I don't know how well it works for the basic range chips). They have some quirks in how to program them as the instruction set is limited.

I don't know whether there is only one chip on the TrainTech assembly (don't have one myself, and the photos on the TT site are not very sharp; in addition to the 6-pin IC, there is also a greenish/brownish-looking square object – could that be the accelerometer?) The accelerometers with a start/stop signal I have seen need, as far as I understand, an application processor to act on their start/stop interrupts, so I suppose they are not usable stand-alone?

The PICs are a new challenge for me; last time I had anything to do with assembler was in university (mostly as an introduction as to why higher-level languages had been created). Time to have a look into it BigGrin

Jeroen
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2018 10:58:09(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I have some TrainTech units on my desk ready for installation into tinplate carriages. Happy to scan the units for you to better understand but is this the correct thing to do bearing in mind copyright, intellectual property etc etc?

The company is helpful, polite and efficient, I wouldn't want to spoil things for them by helping to get their products pirated!
Offline jerdenberg  
#15 Posted : 14 October 2018 16:39:59(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I have some TrainTech units on my desk ready for installation into tinplate carriages. Happy to scan the units for you to better understand but is this the correct thing to do bearing in mind copyright, intellectual property etc etc?

The company is helpful, polite and efficient, I wouldn't want to spoil things for them by helping to get their products pirated!

To be on the safe side, indeed, it might be better not to show the units in detail. If nothing else, it's more rewarding to find a way to implement the automatic on/off principle from scratch. That said, it was certainly not my intention to "pirate their products".

Jeroen
Offline jerdenberg  
#16 Posted : 31 October 2018 14:40:03(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
As a test of principle, I have now connected a GY-61 accelerometer module [analog outputs] to an Arduino Uno-compatible board (for this test; in the end, I am going to use a GY-291 [digital] and a PIC10, which should be at least as effective as well as sufficiently small/low energy), and attained the desired behaviour (switch on at a light acceleration in x or y direction, switch off after a specified amount of time in which the switch-on condition is not fulfilled).
Having sufficient sensitivity to enable reliable switch-on implies that a bump to my desk also causes the switch-on effect.

In the video below, I first switch on the LED by giving the car a little push, then wait until the LED is switched off, then switch the LED on by giving my desk a little bump, and finally move the car back and forth a little (the timer is then reset with every speed change), after which the LED switches off in due time again.

I am interested to know if the professional units from TrainTech also switch on if one gives a bump to the layout table?

One more thing I am planning to do is make the switch-on dependent on ambient light (i.e., no switch-on when "the sun shines").

Jeroen
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 31 October 2018 18:40:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Excellent experimentation. I suspect you would find that the Train Tech units will switch on with any movement, after all bumping the desk moves the accelerometer from where it was previously in 3D space, so it will sense the bump.

Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 31 October 2018 19:19:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I am interested to know if the professional units from TrainTech also switch on if one gives a bump to the layout table?

Jeroen

Yes, absolutely. It happens to me all the time! Funnily enough sometimes when the base is bumped only some of the coaches will light up, whereas if the train goes into motion they all light up.

Maybe it's better at sensing acceleration in the direction of travel?

I have to say I find it a bit odd that we seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel here. The units from Train-tech work and they are cheap. Why try to reverse engineer them?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jerdenberg  
#19 Posted : 31 October 2018 21:46:52(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Ray,

Thanks for confirming. My interest is two-pronged: on the one hand, I do not want to light my cheap Athearn cars with sets costing at least 4 times what the cars cost; on the other hand, I find it nice, in retirement, to explore new areas more or less related to the most interesting aspect of my professional career (programming).

As to the different responses of your coaches to a bump, i can indeed imagine that movement along track is weighted more than lateral movement (and vertical movement if that is monitored at all); so are your coaches oriented differently when stationary?

Jeroen
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 31 October 2018 23:31:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Anything that moves the coach even if only slightly will turn on the lights. It is an excellent product and I am converting most of my coaches with Train Tech.
You can add lights to the lighting bar easily and of course with no sliders and ground springs coaches run better. Also works out cheaper.

The light bar can be cut to a smaller length for coaches that cant take sliders and the part you cut off can be added if you wish to another light bar.
I have no idea how they work other than they have a motion sensor.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline twmarklinfan  
#21 Posted : 01 November 2018 08:54:36(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Anything that moves the coach even if only slightly will turn on the lights. It is an excellent product and I am converting most of my coaches with Train Tech.
You can add lights to the lighting bar easily and of course with no sliders and ground springs coaches run better. Also works out cheaper.

The light bar can be cut to a smaller length for coaches that cant take sliders and the part you cut off can be added if you wish to another light bar.

Thank you very much for this informative review. I am tempted to try out this system. You mention extending the light bar. Is that a simple plug in or does it involve glue abs solder?

Thanks
Adrian
Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 01 November 2018 12:12:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post

Thank you very much for this informative review. I am tempted to try out this system. You mention extending the light bar. Is that a simple plug in or does it involve glue abs solder?

Thanks
Adrian

Adrian. They supply individual lights which plug into the light bar (a blob of solder helps to keep them in place) Smaller parts of the bar can be attached with just wire with everything being placed on the coach roof. You can get a look online of what they sell or request a catalogue. You can also get individual lights complete with motion detector for wagons etc.
Offline Michael4  
#23 Posted : 02 November 2018 18:22:33(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
So easy to fit. Here is a trimmed unit in the roof of an old 4038, held by some of that foam tape manufacturers use to hold cars together these days. Still with the five lights it just fits between the clips on the roof.

UserPostedImageIMG_3680 by dralowid, on Flickr

I didn't know what to do with the additional bulbs, will ponder this for a while.

Two points:
1) Remember to clean the windows beforehand

2) The switch is sensitive. It remains to be seen whether all the lights will come on when a train double headed by two weighty 3014s come the other way!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline sidblack  
#24 Posted : 04 November 2018 10:47:26(UTC)
sidblack

Australia   
Yes as others have said, the lights are very sensitive. Sometimes if I just sit down at my desk heavily the lights may come on. It's like having hypervigilant neighbours - the slightest noise and they turn on the lights! So even if the train they are attached to isn't moving, other trains moving on the layout will cause the lights to come on. I don't mind that at all though, I think they look great.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sidblack
Offline DaleSchultz  
#25 Posted : 04 November 2018 16:33:24(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I was thinking that if the button battery could be attached to a black clip on the underside it would be easier to change. Some coaches defy safe and easy opening.

It is very nice not having to have a pickup shoe for sure.

I think I would prefer a good sized capacitor, (and one pickup shoe per train) so that they stay on whenever the layout is powered. Then there is no need for the motion detector. If I park my S-Bahn in the station for 10 minutes I don't want the lights to go off and perhaps come on when another train vibrated the adjacent track....

4 diodes (or a bridge rectifier), an inrush resistor, a load-side resistor and as much capacitor as one has space for in the wagon would do it I think.

If the LED strip could contain a long sequence of capacitors along with the LEDs it would be wonderful. One would automatically get more capacitance when one used a longer strip.

Physics forces us to choose between pickup shoes or batteries. Or does it? I wonder when small solar panels would be enough to charge up the capacitors? They could be mounted on the underside and when the trains pass over a bright light charging section (in a hidden area), they could get filled up.

Or an induction circuit! A small coil on the underside could be passed over magnets in the track. This would probably increase the draw-bar force on the loco though, but they could be widespread on the layout. They could be so easily hidden in C-Track!

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline David Dewar  
#26 Posted : 11 November 2018 12:54:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
All good points Dale. One big advantage is the smaller two axle coaches that don't take Marklin lighting can bit lit without any problem and I found this useful. I then started to convert all my coaches adding different colours to the light bar in a restaurant area etc. I don't mind lights going out after four minutes but I agree there are times they come on with a passing train but then again maybe my driver decided to turn them on at the moment !!
I like the product and the company.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#27 Posted : 08 January 2019 09:44:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, by avoiding using an extra pick up shoe (every body's dream) as you already use electrical contact couplers why not adding them to the loco as well but I don't know whether they are available in N-Gauge.
all my coaches have either 4 pin or 2 pin couplers and with 4 pin couplers I use 2 Aux functions to turn interior lights on and off., Aux 1 usually includes toilets and entrance gateways and some apartments; Aux 2 will expand the interior apartment lights, open seating couches can also be divided into sections and smaller carriages only need 1 Aux function.
four pin couplers are usually(except Fleischmann = but not easy to uncouple) permanent but 2 pin couplers could be uncoupled.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 08 January 2019 09:48:13(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
All good points Dale. One big advantage is the smaller two axle coaches that don't take Marklin lighting can bit lit without any problem and I found this useful. I then started to convert all my coaches adding different colours to the light bar in a restaurant area etc. I don't mind lights going out after four minutes but I agree there are times they come on with a passing train but then again maybe my driver decided to turn them on at the moment !!
I like the product and the company.

In the model train world it is essential you have constant contact with the driver but it gets confusing when a third person enters the room wondering who are you talking to. LOL

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Elsleuth1  
#29 Posted : 05 February 2019 00:24:09(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
Does anyone besides me think the LEDs aren't very bright?Mellow
Offline David Dewar  
#30 Posted : 05 February 2019 12:13:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post

LEDs are equal to Marklin. They sell two types. Pure white or a yellow type for older coaches. The light strip allows other LEDs to be added should you wish.
Offline Michael4  
#31 Posted : 06 March 2019 09:23:13(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post

Yes I do but I am comparing them to old fashioned incandescent bulbs.
Offline pradeep  
#32 Posted : 29 July 2019 16:29:43(UTC)
pradeep

India   
Since there is no pickup no slider should be used in all type of cars but still can they be used in Marklin AC 3 rail system cars. The signals which are connected to track may be different and may be needing some modification .
Would request a suitable reply from members

My another question . i have marklin HO 3074 Loco and need spare part as listed by marklin # 469490 It is no more available with marklin and could not find on ebay.Can some one suggest any parts supplier anywhere to place online order?
Offline David Dewar  
#33 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:09:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Train Tech is battery operated. I have converted almost all my coaches to their lighting units. Cant help with 3074 loco but I am sure somebody will.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar