Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2019 13:52:02(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Read in the papers last week that DPD has taken a 71,000sq ft. warehouse as contingency of holding parcels in the UK awaiting customer payments of VAT etc after Oct 31.

Decided to tentatively discuss with the FD spending up the Christmas M budget in advance. Slight problem Many possible items are Q4 release, further more because of the forbidden subject the exchange rate is now a lousy 90p to the Euro.

Think I'll order a Hornby catalogue - OK perhaps not!
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2019 14:01:41(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Read in the papers last week that DPD has taken a 71,000sq ft. warehouse as contingency of holding parcels in the UK awaiting customer payments of VAT etc after Oct 31.

Decided to tentatively discuss with the FD spending up the Christmas M budget in advance. Slight problem Many possible items are Q4 release, further more because of the forbidden subject the exchange rate is now a lousy 90p to the Euro.

Think I'll order a Hornby catalogue - OK perhaps not!

I retired as a currency trader for a French bank in 1985. The last trade I did was to buy Sterling at 1.02. I would advise doing what you can now. Hopes and expectations for the future are nothing compared to what you know today.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:14:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have been buying considerable Marklin and Faller over the past year and will get a few locos before end October which will keep me going for a while.
Maybe we will get a deal and have two more years but I doubt it.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:26:59(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For those of us not in the UK, what is a DPD?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:37:12(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Hi Minok. It stands for many things but I believe in this case it's "Duty Paid Delivered". It's where they will hold parcels until the duty has been paid

and then it can be delivered? If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me. Peter.
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:57:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Sorry, I have just learnt from my own ignorance. DPD and DHL are the two international carriers that most of the model rail shops in Europe use for their transport of parcels home and abroad. I have always assumed DPD was something to do with the German Postal service - however in fact it is a subsidiary of the French postal service - La Poste
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 29 July 2019 20:58:50(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

Hi Minok. It stands for many things but I believe in this case it's "Duty Paid Delivered". It's where they will hold parcels until the duty has been paid

and then it can be delivered? If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me. Peter.

DPD is a major international delivery service operating internationally - owned by a French company. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPDgroup.

When I order items from Modelbahn Lippe in Detmold, Germany, the parcels are always delivered by DPD.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 29 July 2019 21:33:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Lippe did send my stuff by DPD but they now send to Scotland using DHL. Faster and cheaper to get parcels from Germany than it is from England.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 29 July 2019 21:39:46(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Well my presentation to the FD did not go at all well. She advised me to go and look at the boxes of my various "old boys medications" that I take on a daily basis and note down what Country they come from. She reckons we may not be needing any more Marklin trains after all...… I hope for once she not right.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2019 21:54:16(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

DPD is a major international delivery service operating internationally - owned by a French company. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPDgroup.

When I order items from Modelbahn Lippe in Detmold, Germany, the parcels are always delivered by DPD.

Aha... DPD seems to be an express delivery service mainly operating inside of Europe, which explains why we in North America may have never heard about it before. They say international in general, and the wikipedia page does suggest Brazil, but their corporate website list of service subsidiaries are all in Europe only, though their corporate video seems to suggest South Africa and southeast Asia as well.

We yanks are knowledgeable on FedEx, UPS, and DHL (only because they Deutsche Post purchased our smaller express services of DHL and Airborne Express and created that 3rd major express carrier in the US, though they gave up on having their own fleet in the US the most part); DPD as a the french La Poste subsidiary was something unknown to me.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 30 July 2019 01:51:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Aha... DPD seems to be an express delivery service mainly operating inside of Europe, which explains why we in North America may have never heard about it before. They say international in general, and the wikipedia page does suggest Brazil, but their corporate website list of service subsidiaries are all in Europe only, though their corporate video seems to suggest South Africa and southeast Asia as well.

We yanks are knowledgeable on FedEx, UPS, and DHL (only because they Deutsche Post purchased our smaller express services of DHL and Airborne Express and created that 3rd major express carrier in the US, though they gave up on having their own fleet in the US the most part); DPD as a the french La Poste subsidiary was something unknown to me.

Don't worry - for myself still it runs under "Deutscher Packetdienst". But here are the first paragraph from thr German Wickipedia translated into English. It is different to the English version, but explains in short lines quit well the situation of DPD today.

"The DPDgroup (formerly: Dynamic Parcel Distribution, formerly Deutscher Paket Dienst) is a group of international courier-express parcel service providers under the umbrella of GeoPost, which belongs to the French Le Groupe La Poste and is based in Issy-les-Moulineaux. The group companies and their franchisees transport standard and express parcels nationally and internationally under the DPD, Chronopost, SEUR and BRT brands. DPDgroup ships to over 230 countries worldwide and is the second largest parcel supplier in Europe according to its own figures."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

In Germany it is the major competitor for DHL.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline ocram63_uk  
#12 Posted : 30 July 2019 09:39:27(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I do not want to sound too critical on this company but here in my UK area the few times I had to rely on them the service has been awful.
They said they had tried delivering / collecting but never showed up and my wife works from home.
I try to avoid using them :-)
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#13 Posted : 30 July 2019 11:28:25(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Lippe did send my stuff by DPD but they now send to Scotland using DHL. Faster and cheaper to get parcels from Germany than it is from England.

Yes, you are right. My DHL man dashes up the stairs of our apartment block around 8.30am. Brilliant. Four days from Germany.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid