Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline john1944  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2019 18:24:57(UTC)
john1944

What exactly does the function button Switching Maneuver do in the Marklin decoder? Does it work like in an ESU decoder and operate the uncoupler and move back for a few seconds and then forward again then releasing the coupler.I have tried programming in a msd 3 decoder .I can get the coupler to work and added sound but noway can i find anyway to get the loco to move forward nor back. Any ideas Thanks Guys .John.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2019 03:51:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi John,

I have a few Maerklin locos (released in the last 5 years) with the digital uncoupler installed on the engine.
On my MS1 (60212) controller, I use the uncoupler feature.
It only activates the uncoupler (with sound in some cases), but it does not move the locomotive.

Maybe there is a new feature in the later controllers.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2019 09:28:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: john1944 Go to Quoted Post
What exactly does the function button Switching Maneuver do in the Marklin decoder?

What Loco are you asking about , that has a button with this naming (translation)?

If you are meaning the "Switching Range On" , available as a logic function and typically depicted with an icon of a tortoise, then this reduces the speed range of the throttle from its nominal 0-100%.
Originally (pre m*D/3 decoders) perceived as a 0-50%. However in the later (m*D/3) decoders you may set the top of this range = e.g. 0-25%.
In the various configuration/CV tools this is seen with the default value of 128 (being 50% of 256). If you wanted the 0-25% range you would set this value to 64

Note: some earlier references and controllers may show the tortoise icon for the (usually) F4 function to "disable acceleration/deceleration. This is in fact a different logical function all together.

Quote:
Does it work like in an ESU decoder and operate the uncoupler and move back for a few seconds and then forward again then releasing the coupler. I have tried programming in a msd 3 decoder .I can get the coupler to work and added sound but noway can i find anyway to get the loco to move forward nor back.

What you describe here is actually a sequence of inherent functions that are available to be configured in the decoder and which may be linked/chained together with timers to define the delays.

In some fora this is referred to as an "uncoupling waltz" or "uncoupling dance"

This sequencing capability was introduced with Marklins m*D/3 decoders. However just because the capability is there does not mean a sequence has actually been loaded , nor a button assigned to trigger it. You can do that yourself with the decoder programming tools (within a CS directly or via the mDT)

I recall mention of a Loco (maybe the shunting crocodile) having this from the factory but do not have first hand knowledge of this.

Once you understand the logic and how the decoder chaining is implemented it is not to hard to set this up.
A Marklin Magazin series from a year or two back attempted to show how to do this. The concepts were explained but I found the technical description flawed (or maybe mistranslated) so I just tried the options until I understood what they were trying to get at.

This chaining is functional for small sequences like the uncoupling waltz, however you have to be careful to leave the underlying functions in the same state they started with because the controller icon images are not changed if the decoder alters them as part of the internal sequence.

Edited by user 03 June 2019 23:01:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2019 17:05:47(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: john1944 Go to Quoted Post
What exactly does the function button Switching Maneuver do in the Marklin decoder?

I think in most if not all cases Switching Maneuver just means it activates the slow switching speed range mentioned above. In German this button is referred to as 'Rangiergang' i.e. switching speed. I agree that calling it in English 'switching maneuver' seems to imply something more than it is. But it does not mean the to and fro switching dance of the ESU decoder which you describe.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2019 09:45:44(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
No secuences.
-And apart from reducing the max speed, I seem to remember that it also cancels out any acceleration and braking delays.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2019 23:09:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
-And apart from reducing the max speed, I seem to remember that it also cancels out any acceleration and braking delays.

These are two separate functions with the more recent decoders.

And quite separate again from the actions like "Stop Motor", "Direction Reversal" and "Speed Change" (and related timers) that would be used when you choreograph your Uncoupling waltz

UserPostedImage
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline wobbly  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2019 14:42:51(UTC)
wobbly

Hi, I am interested in trying to program the 'uncoupling waltz' in an mLD/3 decoder and have the both the CS3 and an mDT. I have looked in my mDT to see if I can find in the "Add Logical function/Output" screen (as per the screenshot) but I can only find down to "Brake sqealing off" in Deutsch followed by "UND_1 ..... UND8" and certainly not "Stop motor, Speed change etc".I wonder if have old software for my mDT and while I have been looking for updates I have been unable to locate any software for the mDT. Do you know anything about these 2 issues? Thanks.
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2019 06:55:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: wobbly Go to Quoted Post
... I can only find down to "Brake sqealing off" ...

you would get this if you started a new project by selecting one of the m*D instead of one of the m*D/3 options

Suggest doing a file->new and ensuring the correct m*D/3 template is loaded
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott