Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline midwestbls  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2019 18:52:30(UTC)
midwestbls

United States   
Anyone have experience assembling any of the Marklin (HO) laser cut building kits? What kind of glue do you use? What works best? Different types for different parts?

Thanks in advance.

- Bill
ETE - Swiss Era III - BLS - Brig Station
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2019 20:17:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Faller 170494 works well.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2019 20:41:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
There are specific laser cut glues from various manufacturers or just plain white PVA glues. The differences tend to be in the open working time and viscosity, I believe.
You'd want something that you can apply, and then stays where you put it and not run everywhere, which would change the patina of the non-glue surfaces thus affecting the appearance even when painted.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Andy McDowell  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2019 01:01:05(UTC)
Andy McDowell

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
+1 to that

Ordinary PVA/white glue from a craft of DIY store will work but I find the needle dispenser on the Faller bottle allows for more control and less mess - particularly important to me as a Z Scaler.

Also, as Minok mentioned, different glues have different curing times; I have generally found that the curing times for generic white glues are a bit too long for laser kits and there is a risk of parts moving before fixing - of course others may not be as butter fingered as me and have no problem!
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2019 18:25:52(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Andy McDowell Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
+1 to that

Ordinary PVA/white glue from a craft of DIY store will work but I find the needle dispenser on the Faller bottle allows for more control and less mess - particularly important to me as a Z Scaler.

Also, as Minok mentioned, different glues have different curing times; I have generally found that the curing times for generic white glues are a bit too long for laser kits and there is a risk of parts moving before fixing - of course others may not be as butter fingered as me and have no problem!

I use an American glue called Titebond. - an Aliphatic Resin glue (I get it from Creative Models here in the UK but it is available on Amazon and commonly available in the US). It is a yellow woodworking glue that I used to use when I had a furniture making shop. I bought some little bottles with needle points on EBay - 10 for a fiver I seem to remember. This glue has a quick grab and a quick cure.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie