Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 13 June 2019 22:27:13(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I infrequently purchase a new loc and so do not repeatedly use instructions to load icons. In between such uploads, the technology seems to change and I forget steps. I just received 37301 Re 4/4 IV and first thought the icon loads from the decoder in the loc - no. So, I referred back to instructions I copied from posts on this site (use a jump drive. I also performed an update of my CS2, thinking the icons for recent locs would installed - again, no. The instructions I had saved are:

1. Copy loco icons to a folder named "cs2/import/icons " (actually these are three nested folders).

2. Go to Setup and select Update from Internet. Do not select Update from USB Stick! (connect the cs2 to the internet)

3. Update should find something new for "Import (V evergreen)". Click on "Weiter" to actually import images.

4. When CS2 tells it's done, don't believe that. Restart the CS2 and your really done

Unsure why, but did not work for me this time. Though I did see evergreen appear. So I googled how to upload icons and found the following
http://railway.zone/post...to-the-central-station-2
This site describes the same steps with a usb stick (except uses capital letters for CS) Also included are instructions using he CS2 website (with version 4.1.0(3) and higher.

Instructions:

A recent software update made it possible to upload customized icons using the CS2 web interface. This is a much easier and less troublesome way than the previous method.

First of all, you need to connect your CS2 to your local area network (LAN). You do this by connecting the CS2 to your router, you might need a long cable or you might move your CS2 closer to your router. The CS2 does not need to be connected to the LAN all the time, so you can move it out of your train room for the purpose of uploading the icons. Aftwards disconnect it from the LAN and carry it back to the train room. My CS2 is normally not connected to the LAN because the router is too far away from it.

To find the ip-adress of the CS2 go to the setup page and click the wrench button to enter configuration mode. Then find the page named "IP". You will find the IP-adress here. If the CS2 for some reason does not have a valid IP-adress, click the DHCP button to pull one from the network.

When you have the IP address in place, open up your favourite internet browser and type in the address in the location bar and browse to the Märklin Central Station 2 web interface. Here you select the "icons" tab.

On the icons page you scroll, past all the pre-installed icons, to the very bottom of the screen. Here you will find the upload section. Click on the "Browse..." button to pick a file and upload it to the CS2. Note, I did not see "Browse" but see "Choose File" (means the same). To upload, hit 'In die CS2 ubertragen". Go to CS2, select the wrench on the loc, click on the picture and you should find what was uploaded. May need to reboot to have the icon appear.

This worked for the 37301 but did not work for another icon I tried to load. The suggestion is that the icon be 6KB or less. I was able to load a 41KB file with this method but not a 149KB file. I am unsure how to further reduce these files but I now have the correct pictures of my locs.

Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2019 07:26:34(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello Harvey,
the following restrictions must be cosidered:

Maximum picture size 128 x 48
Format: png
Bit Depth: 8

A picture with these values has a file size of approximately 5kByte.

Greetings,
Moritz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2019 13:11:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
On the occasion:

Do we happen to have a repository of CS2 loco icons in the forum?
Offline thomasm  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2019 13:15:24(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

Do we happen to have a repository of CS2 loco icons in the forum?

you can get icons from https://cs2.stummiforum.de/

.thomas

Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thomasm
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2019 13:30:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
I infrequently purchase a new loc and so do not repeatedly use instructions to load icons. In between such uploads, the technology seems to change and I forget steps. I just received 37301 Re 4/4 IV and first thought the icon loads from the decoder in the loc - no. So, I referred back to instructions I copied from posts on this site (use a jump drive. I also performed an update of my CS2, thinking the icons for recent locs would installed - again, no. The instructions I had saved are:

1. Copy loco icons to a folder named "cs2/import/icons " (actually these are three nested folders).

2. Go to Setup and select Update from Internet. Do not select Update from USB Stick! (connect the cs2 to the internet)

3. Update should find something new for "Import (V evergreen)". Click on "Weiter" to actually import images.

4. When CS2 tells it's done, don't believe that. Restart the CS2 and your really done

Unsure why, but did not work for me this time. Though I did see evergreen appear. So I googled how to upload icons and found the following
http://railway.zone/post...to-the-central-station-2
This site describes the same steps with a usb stick (except uses capital letters for CS) Also included are instructions using he CS2 website (with version 4.1.0(3) and higher.

Instructions:

A recent software update made it possible to upload customized icons using the CS2 web interface. This is a much easier and less troublesome way than the previous method.

First of all, you need to connect your CS2 to your local area network (LAN). You do this by connecting the CS2 to your router, you might need a long cable or you might move your CS2 closer to your router. The CS2 does not need to be connected to the LAN all the time, so you can move it out of your train room for the purpose of uploading the icons. Aftwards disconnect it from the LAN and carry it back to the train room. My CS2 is normally not connected to the LAN because the router is too far away from it.

To find the ip-adress of the CS2 go to the setup page and click the wrench button to enter configuration mode. Then find the page named "IP". You will find the IP-adress here. If the CS2 for some reason does not have a valid IP-adress, click the DHCP button to pull one from the network.

When you have the IP address in place, open up your favourite internet browser and type in the address in the location bar and browse to the Märklin Central Station 2 web interface. Here you select the "icons" tab.

On the icons page you scroll, past all the pre-installed icons, to the very bottom of the screen. Here you will find the upload section. Click on the "Browse..." button to pick a file and upload it to the CS2. Note, I did not see "Browse" but see "Choose File" (means the same). To upload, hit 'In die CS2 ubertragen". Go to CS2, select the wrench on the loc, click on the picture and you should find what was uploaded. May need to reboot to have the icon appear.

This worked for the 37301 but did not work for another icon I tried to load. The suggestion is that the icon be 6KB or less. I was able to load a 41KB file with this method but not a 149KB file. I am unsure how to further reduce these files but I now have the correct pictures of my locs.

Harvey

We have a thread here at the forum before about CS 2 icons.

https://www.marklin-user...-Help-with-icons-for-CS2