Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2019 23:47:55(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Woodland Scenics has a pen for weathering rail--steel rail, rusty rail, etc.
At Eu11 a pop for a possibly short lived felt pen this seems excessive.
Are there more economical solutions for weathering rail?
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 11 June 2019 23:57:23(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jabez,

If you already have the tools I think an airbrush will be the most economical. Else people are hand painting the rails.

You can use weathering powders but really only for sleepers.

Remember darker colours will hide stuff and lighter colour will highlight them. Seems obvious but many rails have oversized tie plates or rail anchors so a darker grim colour on this lower part will help disguise them better.

Good luck and have fun!

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2019 00:07:55(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Hi Lasse,
That was fast Blink
thanks
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2019 06:51:54(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I use Humbrol Enamel 113 ”Rust” on my K track rails. I really like the color in combination with the Merkur trackbed, and the rails are pretty well covered with one round only, without any primer. I paint sections of approx. 50 cm rail using a tiny brush, then immediately remove most of the paint from the rail top using fabric. When the paint is dry, I add some ”Strip Magic” liquid on the rail top and after a few minutes, the residual paint is removed using isopropanol and fabric.

It takes some time, but I find it rewarding. The oversized rails and their joiners seems to ”disappear” a bit...

Cool

Before
8BE12604-EF8C-484E-B83E-82D2C77B9956.jpeg

After
UserPostedImage
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline CYHU  
#5 Posted : 25 February 2022 19:45:08(UTC)
CYHU

Canada   
Hello,

I used Humbrol #113 enamel in the past, but now I have switched to Tamiya Red-Brown XF-64 acrylic, brush painted.

UserPostedImage

Result is excellent to my opinion.

Weathering of ballast is made with a mix of acrylic burnt sienna, black and white paints with about 4 parts of water, 4 parts of isopropylic alcohol and a few drops of dish soap.

UserPostedImage

Tracks on the right of the picture were not completely dry when photo was taken.

Then I complete the process with a dry brush technique of Polly Scale Grimy Black and a contact clean-up.

UserPostedImage

I am happy with the final result.

Pierre.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CYHU
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 25 February 2022 22:07:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Humbrol 113 for the tracks. Airbrushed, as mentioned before. Rails on points are painted with a fine brush.
As I use K-track, I then apply a black/brown wash over tracks and ballast. Very diluted, and sometimes it needs several washes.
I apply a fine black wash in the center of the rails, in an intent to camouflage the punkos a little.
I also add more black wash in front of signals and other places where a locomotive might be spending more time.

I documented most the process with several photos in the "Me and my layout" section of the forum.

BTW: I also bought one of those Woodland Scenic rust-pens. There are 2 kinds. I bought the most brown and less red of them, but the colour was much too bright (red) for me. Also, I found the application method tedious and troublesome; The pen actually contains liquid paint, and the felt-tip does not allow for as fine an application as a brush.
For the poster who raised concern about the life-span of the felt-tip, I can say that it comes with extra tips.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2022 21:54:57(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I think one off the best things you can do is go down to your local railway line and look at the rails. We tend to think the rails go rusty. Well no not really. The one down our way seem to go a dark brown colour, but I guess that can vary. New rails will look different to old rails, and new rails don't stay looking new for long, even if they are painted white.
Some years ago, I thought I would try using the Jarrah deck stain we used on our decks. It was a bit too red on my M track.[ That was mainly because I put some in a small jar and let it stand for some time to evaporate some of the solvent out of it, mixing it regularly to stop a skin forming. I thought the thinner stuff didn't change the colour enough, but thinking back, it was a better colour. Cost was bugger all as well. ]
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2022 09:35:07(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I think one off the best things you can do is go down to your local railway line and look at the rails. We tend to think the rails go rusty. Well no not really. The one down our way seem to go a dark brown colour, but I guess that can vary.

I agree. That is why so many of us use the Humbrol 113. Although it is called "rust", it is exactly the dull brown colour that I remember from my own commuting to/from Copenhagen during my student/university years.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Bogenschütze  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2022 12:27:26(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I think one off the best things you can do is go down to your local railway line and look at the rails. We tend to think the rails go rusty. Well no not really. The one down our way seem to go a dark brown colour, but I guess that can vary.

I agree. That is why so many of us use the Humbrol 113. Although it is called "rust", it is exactly the dull brown colour that I remember from my own commuting to/from Copenhagen during my student/university years.

Having only just come back to railway modelling, my C-track is still pristine and shiny as the layout is still in the planning stage. However, thirty and more years ago when I used to model 2-rail with Peco flexi track, I always painted and weathered the rails and sleepers before ballasting. Although I used a variety of paints, all by Humbrol, the main colour was a brown named "Track Colour". I don't remember the number but I'm pretty sure that it is exactly the same colour as Humbrol 113 that today is called "Rust". I also seem to remember that there was a Humbrol paint in its range called "Rust" that was redder than the current 113 and I used to dry brush that over the brown painted rails to break up the uniform appearance.

I agree with Henrik that Humbrol 113 accurately captures the brown build up that accumulates on everything within 3 metres of running tracks. I used to replicate that by running a thin wash of the brown along platform faces and any structures close to the tracks.

Edited by user 28 February 2022 18:59:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bogenschütze