Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2019 13:28:20(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Hi,

I have all along been planning my layout with clearance based on the Marklin 74.5mm drawings, which when working with 2% inclines has been pretty tight.

I have just been out measuring, and from the baseboard up, on C-track, I only have to things higher than 60mm and they are still only 62mm above baseboard.

Why the 74.5mm recommendation from Marklin? If I could stick to 65mm, it would make everything so much easier.

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline Michael4  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2019 14:25:28(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Think you may have the wrong figure (unless C is the same height as M).

From memory 74.5mm is the clearance for M track.

The K track figure is less 68.5mm(?)

C track is way too modern for me so I don't know and can't help. Some younger person know...

Remember that these clearances are for steam engines etc. Electric with catenary is a a fair bit more.
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2019 14:37:54(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Well, I only have diesel and am not particularly interested in steam or electric. My era won't support steam anyway.

It makes my layout building a lot easier if I can get away with 65mm clearance, this means I won't have to have points on a slope.

Thank
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2019 21:40:31(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Think you may have the wrong figure (unless C is the same height as M).

From memory 74.5mm is the clearance for M track.

The K track figure is less 68.5mm(?)

C track is way too modern for me so I don't know and can't help. Some younger person know...

Remember that these clearances are for steam engines etc. Electric with catenary is a a fair bit more.

M track is 11mm tall from base to top of rail. C track is 10.3mm tall - so essentially the same height.

Marklin's catalog, on the Bridges and Ramps page, shows a minimum clearance from layout base to under bridge of 74.5mm for steam and diesel using M or C track (so about 64mm from top of rail to underside of bridge). For electrics these clearances increase by 30mm.

The minimum clearance from layout base to under bridge is 68.5mm for steam and diesel using K track (since K track is 5.2mm tall this becomes about 63mm from top of rail to underside of bridge). Again, for electrics these clearances increase by 30mm. If you use a roadbed under K track, then its height will have to be taken into account to maintain the top of rail to underside of bridge clearance.

Marklin's overhead wires end up about 71mm above top of rail. Sommerfeldt quotes NEM201/1 for overhead wire clearance where the norm is 69mm, with a minimum of 62mm and a maximum of 73mm for the top of the rail.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Crazy Harry  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2019 22:52:39(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Morsing,

I was just finishing reading the English version of Marklin Magazin 02/2019. The magazine presents layout construction ideas in every issue. In this particular issue, they start describing a small layout based on a folded figure eight. Since the tracks cross over at one point, inclines are to be minimized and the layout perimeter is to be minimized, there is a clearance issue. Here is a link to the files showing that particular layout (these are available to anyone from the Marklin's German website):

A Handy Eye-Catcher Layout

(Note, that it actually appeared in edition 01/2019 in the German version of Marklin Magazin.)

Look at page 41 of the pdf and you'll notice in the top left hand corner of the layout the base levels are at 30 and 100mm. Therefore, if I interpret these drawings correctly, the clearance is 70mm less the height of the track and thickness of the bridge material used.

My previous post quoted Marklin's suggestions on the catalog pages for ramps and bridges, but this particular Marklin Magazin layout does not follow these suggestions.

I guess my point is: Whatever you build is okay so long as the inclines and clearances work for models you intend to run (now and in the future).

Just to ease your mind, measure you models' height or test roll them through the clearance and see if they fit. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure you can go to a 3% grade. In fact, I believe the Ramps and Bridges page of the Marklin catalog actually shows up to 5% grade, but I wouldn't go there.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline morsing  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2019 09:58:19(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

Ok, thanks. I have decided to go 65mm total, as that will cover me.

Still curious about the 74.5mm. Does it translate to some prototypical German clearance? It's very specific.
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2019 13:10:37(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
Dont know really.

Maximum allowed height for railcars in Europe are 4320 mm above top of rail that is 49 mm in H0, The norm for free space around track is 6500 mm above top of rail is 6500 mm, that corresponds to 74,71 mm above top of rail, pretty close to 74.5 mm, but that is from top of rail. Marklin measures in a different way.

You will be OK with 65 mm.

Henrik
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 12 June 2019 21:35:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The NEM 102 standard indicates clearance above the rail head should be 59mm, add to that the rail head height from baseboard, and I'm expecting Märklin will use the info about their tallest rolling stock as well to come to a very specific number.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134