Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2019 16:31:52(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello,
I bought this tiny little shunting loco a few days ago, used but very cheap for 98€! Great price for a digital loco with Sound, Telex and complex LED head lights!Ue 499 SJ

When the loco arrived and my wife was gone away for a while 😉, I had time to inspect this beauti a bit closer and realized, there is a cabin light assembled under the roof! Why that? There is nothing written about a cabin light of the Ue 499 SJ nor about any other variant of this model!

So, I started to disassemble the loco and right! There is a small circuit board under the roof, equipped with two SMD LEDs and a resistor, forther solder points for U+, two AUX ports for the two LEDs to switch then separately and a soldier point for the contact to the head pick up.

UserPostedImage

But next surprise: The little circuit board isn't connected to the four brass contacts, you can see on the next image:

UserPostedImage

Therefore, to enable the cabin light there is more to do than to modify the mapping. Furthermore, I had to check which AUX ports are already used by the other light functions and the telex coupler.

Next, I checked the mapping of the different functions to know, which decoder AUX ports are used:

UserPostedImage

I realized that there is no free AUX port available, except probably AUX5/6, but I don't know if they are connected, available and probably not amplified. LF/LR, AUX1-AUX4 are used for the complex head light mapping. And a test showed me, that the Telex in serial connected to one AUX port will have enough power to work, but it will reduce the total current through the Telex Coil. It seems to be a good idea.

Therefore, I decided to connect two of the Telex couplers to one of the two SUSI AUX ports and the cabin light to the other SUSI AUX port.

Here You see the wires to the two Telex couplers connected in serial:

UserPostedImage

And here I painted the new wire from the SUSI AUX port to the soldier point for the cabin light:

UserPostedImage

Next I soldiered wires to the LED circuit board, and because there is only one free AUX, I connected both LEDs together:

UserPostedImage

Back into the cabin:

UserPostedImage

Then, before the last assembling step, I soldiered the two wires to the two brass contact bar. Keep care to use the correct ones! One is U+, the other one is SUSI AUX:

UserPostedImage

After changing the mapping, and a first test, the next surprise, the interior lights are red:

UserPostedImage

OK, here a short demo video showing the different head light effects and the now working cabin light:

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2019 23:53:19(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Those are actually taillights. Being mainly a switching engine, the lights when doing switching operations should be lights on on both ends and red taillight on the ”B” side. This will inform a remote operator which way to run the engine. Notice the antenna for remote operations.

Br/Peder

I should add that on the Ub (brown version of the same engine) these are the tail lights. I suppose that Märklin left them sitting there when the taillights where moved to the front and end on the Ue model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2019 04:18:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Very strange, adding something to the loco but not connecting it., shouldn't there be 2 resistors, if you disconnect the wires again and try to light up 1 Led manually and see what colour it is.
I have found Roco Vectron locos have led's (not mounted) for different versions of the Vectron loco.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2019 07:46:50(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Those are actually taillights. Being mainly a switching engine, the lights when doing switching operations should be lights on on both ends and red taillight on the ”B” side. This will inform a remote operator which way to run the engine. Notice the antenna for remote operations.

Br/Peder

I should add that on the Ub (brown version of the same engine) these are the tail lights. I suppose that Märklin left them sitting there when the taillights where moved to the front and end on the Ue model.

This sounds interesting, but the brown version Ub 709 (36352) doesn't have these taillights, too. I have it, I will check, if there is this circuit board, too.

So, as the Ue 499 has real taillights, it would be better to change the colour to white-warm LEDs and use it as cabin light.

Greetings,
Moritz
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2019 10:42:17(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

Br/Peder

This sounds interesting, but the brown version Ub 709 (36352) doesn't have these taillights, too. I have it, I will check, if there is this circuit board, too.

So, as the Ue 499 has real taillights, it would be better to change the colour to white-warm LEDs and use it as cabin light.

Greetings,
Moritz

The brown version Ub didn´t had radio control under era 3.
That´s way there is no red tail light for older version.
If you want cab lighting try ESU LED lighting for wagons.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline pederbc  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2019 10:43:51(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I have 2 of the first version (36335) and they have the cabin taillights, as the real Ub had/has. I don’t have the newer model.

Peder

https://images.app.goo.gl/LjbtMbMQnyUyPpt9A

In this link you can see the taillight of the 36335
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline pederbc  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2019 11:07:56(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Here’s a good picture from the real world:

https://images.app.goo.gl/uMRczrZD5Y33uLB98

Peder
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2019 12:08:17(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Thanks Peder,
Very interesting, so, the best solution would be to put the circuit board into my #36352 which has no taillights but which should have it in the cabin.

I will.check if the small case is available as spare part or I have to create it by myself.

Moritz
Offline pederbc  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2019 14:05:44(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I have no access to my Ub’s right now, but I think the four brass pins is for the taillights and probably also for the pantograph.

Peder
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2019 14:15:45(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
I have no access to my Ub’s right now, but I think the four brass pins is for the taillights and probably also for the pantograph.

Peder

Yes, thats what I found out, two brass pins are for the two LEDs, one is for U+ for both LEDs and one is for the pantograph.

Here is my first design sample for the head light:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I will now print this case and check, if it fits.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#11 Posted : 09 June 2019 17:58:36(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
And this is how it looks like:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline pederbc  
#12 Posted : 09 June 2019 19:04:43(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Well printed! Looks fine!

On the 36335 version, as well as on the newer one (as we can see) there are red taillights on both ends. Normally when shunting there will only be a red taillight on the B-side. I’m trying now to find out if they where ever used on the line, and if so, would have used red lights on the A-side as well when going ”backwards”. If There was actually a red taillight on the A-side as well.

Peder
Offline g-gekko  
#13 Posted : 09 June 2019 20:11:56(UTC)
g-gekko

Norway   
A couple of years ago I wanted to add telex to my NSB EL10 36334. It is the NSB version of the same type of locomotive, but it does not have the same circuit board as the 36350. From the factory, this locomotive only have a function for lights on or off without direction switchover. When I was trying to install the telex couplers I searched for solderpads connected to the aux pins of the MTC21 contact. I discovered that the the four brass pins was related to aux3, aux 4, the pantograph and common. The front and rear led panel had connection to front, rear, aux1 and aux2. I reassembled the locomotive and mapped the functions. Front/rear is high beam ligths, aux1/aux2 is low beam lights and aux3/aux4 is taillights.

I saved the telex couplers for another project since I was quite happy with the increased light functionality. It is strange that these functions had not been mapped at the factory.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by g-gekko
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#14 Posted : 10 June 2019 12:56:57(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Some more details and pictures can be found here, but German language: https://modellbauhuette..../ue-499-sj-vs-ub-709-sj/