Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wbrock  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2019 22:05:09(UTC)
wbrock

United States   
I realize that Marklin has been taken over by new owners a few years back; however, it does not appear to be as positive a move as I had hoped. Are there other who are concerned as well? In Z scale, there does not seem to be much in the way of new tooling for models year over year. I understand it is expensive to do, but it has become old hat now with the re-releases of the models. I am a Z scaler and I have noticed that there is not much in the way of keeping up with modern trains.

For instance the Vectron engine that could be produced for DB, SBB, OBB, MRCE etc. Or the Vossloh G1700 BB that could be painted for SBB, SBB Cargo, BLS, and Sersa.

Also, there are no modern Swiss passenger train sets for SBB such as the Flirt or the ICN, IC-2000, FV-Dostos, Regio-Dosto, ETR-610/RABe 503 in multiple color schemes.

Does anyone have a clue on the plans for Marklin in the future?
Offline husafreak  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2019 23:17:18(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I am new to Z scale and trains but primarily interested in Marklin European trains. What I see in my very short time here is what you are saying. I decided not to buy any more older Märklin engines because I think they will all be released again soon with upgraded motors, lighting, and paint/markings. Not because they are inferior but because I don’t want to see an engine I just bought rereleased with a host of improvements. If I thought Märklin was going to be introducing primarily new loco designs then buying older ones, new condition or used, would make more sense to me as a “collector”.
Anyway that is what I am trying to do! It is hard because I really want a nice variety of trains and many older ones are still available.
Offline wbrock  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2019 01:15:13(UTC)
wbrock

United States   
My suggestion would be since Marklin only releases a handful of new Z scale units each year, grab what you like on pre-order status. If you really want a nice variety of trains and you find the older ones are still available, get them as well. Marklin sells the new motors separately and there are a few folks who offer their services to replace the new motors into the older units.

But it is interesting, as it now seems the new and old collectors/operators alike are hesitant to buy! Cutting their own necks with that policy of limited products, but they are the manufacture without a competitor. From what I have gathered from a number of distributors, Marklin wants at least half of the releases sold out now before they ship to the stores. Sure sounds like Marklin's marketing though is back firing on them!

I have been a Z scaler in European trains since 1998 when it was solely Marklin that had the market. This has been the case for some time and pretty much they still have the market, at least for the European items. I remember when Marklin released the first EMU of the DB ICE I believe in 1999, or at least that is when I purchased an "upgraded" version. The only thing similar since has been the ICE-4. I am glad they did re-released the recent ICE-4 because it has a host of improvements. However, all modern developments of passenger trains in practically all countries are in EMU development; and yet, none can be found in Z scale. This is for all types of trains, including the commuter to the high speed passenger trains for the past two decades.

Incidentally, when small producers have released some really good European trains, it seems that Marklin either buys them out or they produce the same thing shortly after. An example is when Swiss Z Lines released the SBB Re 6/6 and the 4/4. Then Marklin shortly after released theirs. If memory serves me right, the same happened with some of Freundreich FEINWERKTECHNIK really nice units releases. The point is that small producers are not going to put forth a lot of effort with that track record for model passenger trains. And yet Marklin does not seem to want to grab that market, even if it is just for PR.

Anyway, hopefully this helps.

Edited by user 10 August 2019 01:31:07(UTC)  | Reason: Original message was confusing and garbled

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wbrock
Offline gwolski  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2019 19:59:00(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
As a long time Z owner, I'd love to see new offerings. I totally get that it's expensive to develop new items, but I get a bit jealous watching the new USA Z scale stuff come out. I'm wondering if that Z scale Norfolk Southern SD70 would be happy running with my Swiss Re 460's? :)

I bought a starter set in college, and I'm more of a runner than collector. I don't currently have a permanent layout but will setup some Rokuhan track and run trains periodically. About half my fleet seems to be in maintenance for one reason or another. My solid runners are just - the rest are more fiddly (and do better when run consistently).

I would love to see some of modern locos mentioned above - Vectrons, etc in addition to modern railcars for Z. Until then, I guess I'll keep running what i have.

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline zscalehobo  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2019 21:02:42(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Not a Euro prototype, but American Z Line just announced Alco RS3 and RDS5 locomotives - new injection tooling. Release date is TBD. Prototypes will be shown at USA NTS in Salt Lake City this year.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline DB Fan  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2019 00:09:14(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
What is the USA NTS? Live only 6 hours away from Salt Lake and if it’s a train show then I would like to go there. Thanks.

Rober
Offline Crazy Harry  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2019 01:20:05(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
What is the USA NTS? Live only 6 hours away from Salt Lake and if it’s a train show then I would like to go there. Thanks.

Rober

I believe it refers to a National Train Show, an NMRA National Convention. More info here:

NMRA National Convention 2019

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline danmarklinman  
#8 Posted : 07 June 2019 10:40:31(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I know what you mean about the Marklin z range. The lack of modern image stuff is off putting! They did a SBB cargo loco Traxx and then nothing !! Why!! There has been to my mind, new tooling of old models and brand new models. But all but one or two seem to be German era 3 and 4. Were are the Vectrons and Traxx locos. I always wanted a z TGV? Why Not Marklin. You killed the British interested in Z with the lack of new modern image SBB models and even not doing Z British?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline gwolski  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2019 14:23:11(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I know what you mean about the Marklin z range. The lack of modern image stuff is off putting! They did a SBB cargo loco Traxx and then nothing !! Why!! There has been to my mind, new tooling of old models and brand new models. But all but one or two seem to be German era 3 and 4. Were are the Vectrons and Traxx locos. I always wanted a z TGV? Why Not Marklin. You killed the British interested in Z with the lack of new modern image SBB models and even not doing Z British?

I did pick up a set of TGV body shells from Shapeways, but installing the chassis and floors is a daunting challenge. Not sure why (other than popularity which I know means assured sales) we have a new ICE3 and not another modern train set. There are so many great ones out there. Or how about giving us some new passenger coaches that aren't repainting of old models. My wish list is long!

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#10 Posted : 07 June 2019 23:10:57(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I share your frustration, but I fear we have to accept that Z is a very niche scale. I'd imagine sales are less than 10% of N gauge sales, which are in turn less than HO sales so investment in new models will inevitably be less.

For myself, the attraction of Z is the flexibility to model with a sense of space and realism, and the amount of stock available (or its appropriateness) is not so much of a problem. I guess that's evidenced by my layout being set in Spain, but running DB stock!

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline gwolski  
#11 Posted : 07 June 2019 23:26:55(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
I share your frustration, but I fear we have to accept that Z is a very niche scale. I'd imagine sales are less than 10% of N gauge sales, which are in turn less than HO sales so investment in new models will inevitably be less.

For myself, the attraction of Z is the flexibility to model with a sense of space and realism, and the amount of stock available (or its appropriateness) is not so much of a problem. I guess that's evidenced by my layout being set in Spain, but running DB stock!

Cheers

Chris

I've already resigned myself that it is what it is. Would love to see more, but I can still make a nice long shelf layout with what is available. Just wishful thinking, that's all.
Gene Wolski
Offline Carim  
#12 Posted : 08 June 2019 13:20:01(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hello Gene,

Can you show us some photos of your progress with the TGV (a step-to-step show of what needs to be done to make the model would be really fantastic!)?

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline gwolski  
#13 Posted : 08 June 2019 16:12:59(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hello Gene,

Can you show us some photos of your progress with the TGV (a step-to-step show of what needs to be done to make the model would be really fantastic!)?

Carim

I will - as soon as I get a chance to do some more work on it. I started to fit some Rokuhan chassis parts to it then decided to step back and re-evaluate. What the intermediate coach body shells really need are decent metal chassis (i.e. brass maybe?) for better running. I am drawing up plans for a simple brass chassis with wheel sets stolen from somewhere else. If anyone else has marched down the TGV path, I'd love to hear from them as well. More info later coming later this summer when I resume this project!

Gene
Gene Wolski
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by gwolski