Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 26 May 2019 19:22:56(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi,

This is supposed to be a multi protocol decoder (Mfx/mm2/mm), but after resetting it on a MS2 (in mfx mode)and changing MS2 protocol to MM2, after sending a new address the loco does not drive. Also CV's are not availible to modify.
Setting the MS2 back to Mfx it drives fine again.
I want to set it to MM to drive it with an Intellibox. Loco is a 3556 with digital conversion.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2019 20:48:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

This is supposed to be a multi protocol decoder (Mfx/mm2/mm), but after resetting it on a MS2 (in mfx mode)and changing MS2 protocol to MM2, after sending a new address the loco does not drive. Also CV's are not availible to modify.
Setting the MS2 back to Mfx it drives fine again.
I want to set it to MM to drive it with an Intellibox. Loco is a 3556 with digital conversion.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

If the decoder is capable of mfx then unless you turn off mfx in the ms2 then you cannot turn off the mfx protocol in the decoder.

The basic tenent is that the ms2 will not turn off the protocol it is using to talk to the decoder. Decoders also seem to have this knowledge built in so that on a single protocol system you cannot appear to 'brick' the decoder and make it non-operational.

Offline Donb  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2019 01:16:30(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I reset the decoder via the mfx protocol, then changed the protocol to MM2 and unplugged the MS2.
I returned after about half hour, powered up the MS2 (still in MM2 protocol) and still no luck.
It appears the decoder is 'stuck' in mfx mode. It is supposed to 'automatically ' switch protocols, but I gather this no longer functions.
Oh well, perhapss time for a modern multiprotocol decoder (msD3/Loksound V4/V5).
Cheers!

Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2019 09:18:47(UTC)
H0

It appears the decoder is 'stuck' in mfx mode. It is supposed to 'automatically ' switch protocols, but I gather this no longer functions.
You do not understand how it functions.
You cannot disable mfx in the decoder and mfx has priority, the decoder ignores MM commands when there is mfx in the track signal.
With an IB it will respond to MM commands.
With an MS2 it will respond to MM commands if mfx is disabled in the MS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Donb  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2019 16:05:26(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I guess I've done a poor job of explaining. The loco will not program on the programming track of the IB. It does not respond to MM on the IB. Thats why I pulled out my MS2 and MS2 programming track and tried to reset it and program it in MM2 mode on the MS2. I used the last option in 'Protocols' in the MS2 which is MM2 only (no MFX).
Best Regards,
Don
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2019 16:27:50(UTC)
H0

The loco will not program on the programming track of the IB.
It will not respond to DCC programming, but MM programming on the IB works.

MM programming with an IB is a bit tricky and I'm afraid the English text got lost on the Uhlenbrock site, but the German text can be found here:
https://uhlenbrock.de/de...en/ib-1/I79ACDE3-001.htm!ArcEntryInfo=0004.27.I79ACDE3&NewServerName=zeta

MM programming using an MS2 may not work completely.
But AFAIK you can change the MM address using mfx programming on the MS2.

Did you let the IB search for the decoder address? Worth a try if the address is not 3 after a reset.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Donb  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2019 17:49:10(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Hi Tom,

First, thanks for your replies.

I have tried the procedure you posted, but after setps 5,6,7 nothing happens. I think this is beacuse I have an IB 2, not a IB.
I have tried this procedure for the IB 2 but it also has not worked:
https://uhlenbrock.de/de...en/ib-2/I7AC61C3-001.htm!ArcEntryInfo=0004.14.I7AC61C3&NewServerName=zeta

And yes I tried changing the address via Mfx, and then put the loco on the layout and called this addreess up on the IB2, but it didnt work.

I did not know you can perform an address search on the IB2, how is this done? I can't seem to find any instruction,

Regards,
Best Regards,
Don
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2019 18:07:32(UTC)
H0

I did not know you can perform an address search on the IB2, how is this done?
It can be done with an Intellibox 65000 - it's somewhere in the programming menu. I don't know if IB2 also has it.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2019 21:03:02(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   

Here is how to program an mFx decoder using an Intellibox:

https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2005/08/mfx-Decoder-Intellibox.html

The text that Uhlenbrock used to publish was incomplete and made assumptions that were not always valid.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Donb  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2019 21:45:57(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Here is how to program an mFx decoder using an Intellibox:

https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2005/08/mfx-Decoder-Intellibox.html

The text that Uhlenbrock used to publish was incomplete and made assumptions that were not always valid.

Fascinating! I'll study this and give it a try this weekend.
Thanks Dale!
Best Regards,
Don
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Donb