Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nygma  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2019 19:01:28(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I have an outdoor Gauge 1 layout, and I am using track power. I have Peco Gauge 1 track. I run my trains rather infrequently and I always battle with continuity problem and cleaning always takes too much time.
I tried building a track cleaning machine, but it does not work very well - at all.

Can you recommend some proven option? Like a battery operated train that cleans the top of the rails? I know LGB has a yellow engine with grinding wheels. Is there anything else? I am the only one with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Csongor
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2019 19:29:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: nygma Go to Quoted Post
I have an outdoor Gauge 1 layout, and I am using track power. I have Peco Gauge 1 track. I run my trains rather infrequently and I always battle with continuity problem and cleaning always takes too much time.
I tried building a track cleaning machine, but it does not work very well - at all.

Can you recommend some proven option? Like a battery operated train that cleans the top of the rails? I know LGB has a yellow engine with grinding wheels. Is there anything else? I am the only one with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Csongor

You are not the only one. In this actual thread at MUN marklin-users.net, your problems are dicussed. Perhaps you find some answers.

https://www.marklin-user...rack-cleaning#post593215

Edited by moderator 22 May 2019 02:12:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2019 22:58:51(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Thanks in advance,
Csongor

I'm working on it BigGrin

So far I've made a standard Märklin loco with a standard Märklin decoder battery operated and remote controlled. Cool

All the electronics, the battery and a servo for a telex is in the closed wagon; it also have a relay-controlled
power-outlet for the coming cleaning devise, which still have to be build.

I've made it for a friend who have probably the largest outdoor layout in Denmark,
with no power to the tracks, since it's build for live steam operation.

The original layout was 10 years old, and in a very bad shape, so a new and bigger layout was build during the winter,
and the official opening of the new layout was on the 20th of April 2019.

More info when I have more time. BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline nygma  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2019 08:38:05(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

More info when I have more time. BigGrin
Per.
Cool

Thanks for the comment. The remote control looks very interesting, especially that you kept the original Marklin sound board. I have the same V-100 engine as well. What are you ideas about the track cleaner? I make a battery operated loco, which drags a plate with fine sanding paper and also has a second motor to oscillate the sand paper from side-to-side. It does not really work for a few reasons:
1) The flat sand paper is not optimal on uneven track: cannot clean the low spots and also stalls the engine as it tends to get stuck on the high spot
2) There is no enough traction. If I add a spring to push the sandpaper down on the track the motors have not enough power to move the cleaner. I am using two USA trains motor blocks for power, which just slips if under too much load. It does not come with traction tires.
3) The sandpaper sometimes gets caught on point rails, rail joints and tears the paper up.
It would be much better if I can get a spinning wheel, like a cleaning disc, or grinding wheel. But I was not able to find anything which is fine enough and also a way to drive it above the rails.

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

You are not the only one. In this actual thread at MUN marklin-users.net, your problems are dicussed. Perhaps you find some answers.
https://www.marklin-user...rack-cleaning#post593215

Yes, I have seen this one, but it focuses purely on cleaning fluids. Maybe I am wrong, but I am after an abrasive method.
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2019 21:02:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

What are you ideas about the track cleaner? I make a battery operated loco, which drags a plate with fine sanding paper and also has a second motor to oscillate the sand paper from side-to-side. It does not really work for a few reasons:
1) The flat sand paper is not optimal on uneven track: cannot clean the low spots and also stalls the engine as it tends to get stuck on the high spot

First of all, I don't like sand paper, since it makes tiny scratches in the rail surface, which will help the next dirt to stick to the tracks.

Our plan is to use Scotch Brite ( https://www.google.com/s...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 ) It comes in many different grades.

We don't know yet if it should rotate around a vertical or horizontal axis; but David, the owner of the layout has bought
a small battery driven polishing machine, which we intend to try to mount in a wagon first.
( https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...bbcbc:g:QE8AAOSwQjxbu6JC )
This gives us rotation around a vertical axis; i'm more for the opposite solution; but that's not so easy BigGrin

If your sandpaper solution don't go into the low spots, try to make it shorter, or on a soft or slightly rounded plate.

2) There is no enough traction. If I add a spring to push the sandpaper down on the track the motors have not enough power to move the cleaner. I am using two USA trains motor blocks for power, which just slips if under too much load. It does not come with traction tires.

Add weight to your motor blocks, I think it'll help.

3) The sandpaper sometimes gets caught on point rails, rail joints and tears the paper up. It would be much better if I can get a spinning wheel, like a cleaning disc, or grinding wheel. But I was not able to find anything which is fine enough and also a way to drive it above the rails.

We plan to clean only the tracks by machine, since we're afraid the turnouts might get damaged. The plan is to stop the machine
every time it comes to a turnout, eventually lift it a bit ( By servo or similar ). The turnouts will the be cleaned manually.

I know your PECO tracks quite well, and since it's nickel silver, it tends to oxidize.

A good cleaning / polishing with something like BRASSO will make wonders, both regarding electrical conduction and looks of the rails.

I really like the brown color of the oxidized tracks, with the rail top being blank, just like on a regularly used railway line BigGrin

I'm afraid our project will be a winter project, so don't expect us to have a working solution any time soon............. Laugh

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2019 22:39:13(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   

First of all, I don't like sand paper, since it makes tiny scratches in the rail surface, which will help the next dirt to stick to the tracks...

Thanks a lot for your insight. If I make any progress, I will post to this topic to keep it alive.

I spend a "lot" of time in Denmark, I work for a client here. May I can even visit an open day some time :)

Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 22 May 2019 22:49:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I spend a "lot" of time in Denmark, I work for a client here. May I can even visit an open day some time :)

That would be nice BigGrin

In which part of Denmark do you work ?

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#8 Posted : 22 May 2019 23:01:21(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Cool

That would be nice BigGrin

In which part of Denmark do you work ?

Per.

Cool

I work for Lego, so I am in Billund. Even right now (until my flight back to Hungary tomorrow). So pretty far from your town :) Before that I was in Copenhagen for a year :)

Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2019 23:06:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I work for Lego, so I am in Billund. Even right now (until my flight back to Hungary tomorrow). So pretty far from your town :) Before that I was in Copenhagen for a year :)

Right now I'm at work on the west coast of Denmark ( Building offshore wind turbines ), in a small town called Hvide Sande BigGrin

Yesterday evening I passed very close to Billund when I went from my home to here Cool

Unfortunately this is my last work rotation on this project, the next one is quite far away Blushing

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2019 23:43:56(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Cool

Right now I'm at work on the west coast of Denmark ( Building offshore wind turbines ), in a small town called Hvide Sande BigGrin

Yesterday evening I passed very close to Billund when I went from my home to here Cool

Unfortunately this is my last work rotation on this project, the next one is quite far away Blushing

Per.

Cool

Small world. My previous project in Copenhagen was for Vestas :)

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nygma
Offline nygma  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2019 22:32:36(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
I realized, I did a video on my 1 year ago. Long winded video, but you can see the cleaner in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK_RgTNoK8o
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 26 May 2019 22:49:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I just watched your video, a bit past my bedtime, so only a short comment BigGrin

First thing I would do is to reduce the size of the sanding-paper area, and also as mentioned before, make it a little round.

Personally I would use Scotch-brite; but take care, if you push it too hard down,
it will touch the sleepers between the tracks, and grind them too.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage