Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2019 13:30:18(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
With the latest update for CS3 (USB-Stick) and CS2 (online update) there is a new MS2 software update to Version V3.55 which provides 32 function support and all 40 memeory slots are displayed and directly accessible on the main display!

See: https://modellbauhuette....it-neuer-software-v3-55/

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2019 23:29:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
With the latest update for CS3 (USB-Stick) and CS2 (online update) there is a new MS2 software update to Version V3.55 which provides 32 function support and all 40 memeory slots are displayed and directly accessible on the main display!

Correct.

See our thread at marklin-users.net about the CS 3 software update 1.4.1

https://www.marklin-user...unread-CS3-v1-4-1-Update

And do not forget to update your track box as well - to the new software version 1.41.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2019 00:56:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Peter Clapcott tells me there has been some changes to functionality, not necessarily all favourable. I'll let him tell the story.

Plus there was an instance where Peter had got some screen corruption on the MS2's display when I saw him last night. Not sure how that happened.
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 18 May 2019 08:58:55(UTC)
Goofy

I notice severals sounds function do have same icon symbol "speaker" which provide some harder work to remember what sound function stand for.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2019 02:29:35(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Plus there was an instance where Peter had got some screen corruption on the MS2's display when I saw him last night. Not sure how that happened.

Yes,
It is certainly worth keeping in mind the "recovery" process of holding down the throttle key as you plug the MS2 in.

I have had two corruptions, one I put down to impatience as the language file appears to be missing.

However for one I had had to actually connect to a "non updated" CS2 in order to revert to 2.7, and then try the 3.55 update again.

A 3rd instance , which I thought was an update issue, now appears to be a memory issue with one particular MS2 where, I speculate, the new code is using a different (new/previously unused) part of video memory that I have not been able to recover from . Looks fine at 2.7

FWIW, I have played with MS2 code via multiple CS internet direct downloads (CS2 and CS3) as well as the USB variants.

Operationally, hangs have been encountered. these appear to relate to the extra work that is done when a new Loco is loaded WHICH AUTOMATICALLY is replicated on the MS2 slaves.

The biggest niggle , other than loosing the "short roster" is that walking through the roster causes a "mfx loco not on track" message as you pass over references.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2019 08:10:32(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

And do not forget to update your track box as well - to the new software version 1.41.

Track Box software 1.41? There was no new track box software, it is still 1.39.
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2019 08:25:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Yes,
It is certainly worth keeping in mind the "recovery" process of holding down the throttle key as you plug the MS2 in.

I have had two corruptions, one I put down to impatience as the language file appears to be missing.

However for one I had had to actually connect to a "non updated" CS2 in order to revert to 2.7, and then try the 3.55 update again.

A 3rd instance , which I thought was an update issue, now appears to be a memory issue with one particular MS2 where, I speculate, the new code is using a different (new/previously unused) part of video memory that I have not been able to recover from . Looks fine at 2.7

According to Søren on the Danish Baneforum, there seems to be some problems when updating a MS2 from a CS2.

( Last post ): https://baneforum.dk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3194

I haven't tried it myself Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2019 11:21:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

The gb2 level of 1.41 as identified in the CS3 became available in the v1.4.0 package.
However it showed a build date of 30.09.2018 compared to the same component version (1.41) available with 1.4.1 package which is 05.02.2019

But of course this meant nothing unless you had a reason to update the ms2 from the CS in order for it to be available to subsequently download to your TrackBox when you next connect the updated MS2 to it.

I acknowledge that the files provide via the CS2 files do not appear to be in sync and only 1.39 is available

Again referencing the build dates, the v3.55 MS2 component file
- for the CS3 1.4.1(0) comes dated as 27.02.2019
- for the CS2 4.2.8(4) comes dated as 06.03.2019

But the CS2 has never succinctly shown a separate gb2 component on the update screen like the cs3 does.
However the underlying file 016-gb2.bin is dated 2019-Mar-06 09:32:13

Bad set of files

000-gfp.bin 2019-Jan-21 08:26:50 51.5K text/plain
016-gb2.bin 2019-Mar-06 09:32:13 31.3K text/plain
048-ms2.bin 2009-Oct-16 06:10:28 0.1K text/plain
049-ms2.bin 2019-Mar-06 10:09:10 90.4K text/plain
050-ms2.bin 2019-Mar-06 10:09:10 90.4K text/plain
051-ms2.bin 2019-Mar-06 10:09:11 145.0K text/plain
flashdb.ms2 2014-Jun-10 09:04:43 71.5K text/plain
lang.ms2 2019-Mar-06 09:29:07 49.2K text/plain
md5.sum 2011-Jan-11 07:41:40 0.2K text/plain

note how out of date the md5 file is

I do not know how to see the same library list on a CS3 however comparing two MS2 updates from a CS2 and CS3 respectively offers

..file.. ..CS3. ..CS2.
000-gfp. .52724 .52724
016-gb2. .32097 .31433
050-ms2. .92608 .84192
051-ms2. 148579 141111
lang.ms2 .50437 .46270
Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2019 12:20:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
https://baneforum.dk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3194

There's a new manual mentioned there for the MS2 - download link is given in that thread, but here is the direct download.

https://static.maerklin....f3c36e4fb91557845024.pdf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2019 21:48:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

Well, this happened to myself too. Then I started with the first step to update my CS 3+. I did the GFP (= Gleis-Format-Prozessor) update and afterwards a red dot showed me an update for the MS 2. After doing this twice at the CS 3, the CS 3 told me update completed. Then I stick in my MS 2 into the CS 3 and after a while the update for the MS 2 started automatically. When this has been finished after another longer period of time a message popped up at the MS 2, if I want to update the track box. First I reviewed the track box. It showed the software version 1.39. In the menu of the track box is a point "update track box" was not crossed out any longer, as it normally was. It is just beside the menu point "update Mobile Station". I used this menu point and an update of the track box started. Afterwards it showed a software version 1.41 for the track box.

Märklin named it rail box. See page 22 at the new issued manual for the MS 2 pursuant the setted link by @BigdaddyNZ post #9.
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2019 21:35:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Märklin has published a YouTube video on the new software and how to access the functions up to 32 via the way the shift button is used. Also covers some of the other changes in the interface.
Releasing shift always gets you back to F0-F7. But depending on how fast you release and then press shift again, it registers as a multi-shift sequence, and thus brings up (while holding the shift after the last press) F8-15, F16-23, F24-31.

Video in German:
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2019 01:28:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Märklin has published a YouTube video on the new software and how to access the functions up to 32 via the way the shift button...

I have been tasked with presenting a rich user interface on extremely limited hardware several times in my career. It actually is a fun challenge and quite difficult to do properly, which I hope people remember when they find that it does not work exactly as they dream. BigGrin

I say props to Märklin for adding this functionality to an old device, which I find quite unusual and laudable. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 24 May 2019 14:07:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Now all I need is a way to update my two MS2 units without any access to a CS2 or CS3!

Last time I needed an update (for the mfx+ functionality) I ended up buying a second MS2 and using it to update my original MS2 and track box. I'm reluctant to keep buying new units every time an update is required! BigGrin

Before anyone suggests it, no I don't have anyone near me with any Marklin devices and no there is no Marklin dealer within a hundred or so kilometres of here!

Isn't it possible to create some kind of WiFi adapter that you can plug a MS2 into to access updates on the Marklin website?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Unholz  
#14 Posted : 24 May 2019 15:25:49(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Ray, that's exactly what I keep thinking when Marklin announces any MS 2 update. It's as if Apple or Microsoft would require their customers to travel to a nation's capital city or even to the factory abroad (armed with a "proof of purchase") just to perform such a simple update.

This is NOT the stone age, although Marklin still seems to think it is. Angry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline morsing  
#15 Posted : 24 May 2019 15:57:26(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Ray, that's exactly what I keep thinking when Marklin announces any MS 2 update. It's as if Apple or Microsoft would require their customers to travel to a nation's capital city or even to the factory abroad (armed with a "proof of purchase") just to perform such a simple update.

But how would you suggest doing it? Adding wifi or similar to the MS3 would increase the price of it.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 24 May 2019 16:21:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

But how would you suggest doing it? Adding wifi or similar to the MS3 would increase the price of it.

Maybe they could do an interface box that connects to a router and allows a MS2 to be connected to it? I'm sure they could come up with something like that for less than €50.

It needn't be wireless if the cost needs to be kept down.
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 24 May 2019 16:22:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Now all I need is a way to update my two MS2 units without any access to a CS2 or CS3!

Last time I needed an update (for the mfx+ functionality) I ended up buying a second MS2 and using it to update my original MS2 and track box. I'm reluctant to keep buying new units every time an update is required! BigGrin

Before anyone suggests it, no I don't have anyone near me with any Marklin devices and no there is no Marklin dealer within a hundred or so kilometres of here!

Isn't it possible to create some kind of WiFi adapter that you can plug a MS2 into to access updates on the Marklin website?

Well I understand you very well, but you are destroying Märklin's marketing strategy: generating sales! Of course you shall buy a cheap starter set with a MS 2 and afterwards the CS 3. Also the reason why you do not have an USB device at a MS 2.BigGrin Below at one of these Märklin explain videos, an answer from Märklin has been, update it by a Märklin dealer. Another one were reasking, if this is free of charge and Märklin answered again: perhaps. There are Märklin dealers charging you, while you want a software update for a MS 2. Angry

If you do not mind, send me one of your MS 2 and I update it for free and send it back to you. One MS 2 can be packed easily into a small parcel. Costs from Germany to Gibraltar 8,89 € - to La Linea 4,89 € postage for a small parcel. Do you have a post box in La Linea? Cool
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 24 May 2019 16:31:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Well I understand you very well, but you are destroying Märklin's marketing strategy: generating sales! Of course you shall buy a cheap starter set with a MS 2 and afterwards the CS 3. Also the reason why you do not have an USB device at a MS 2.BigGrin Below at one of these Märklin explain videos, an answer from Märklin has been, update it by a Märklin dealer. Another one were reasking, if this is free of charge and Märklin answered again: perhaps. There are Märklin dealers charging you, while you want a software update for a MS 2. Angry

If you do not mind, send me one of your MS 2 and I update it for free and send it back to you. One MS 2 can be packed easily into a small parcel. Costs from Germany to Gibraltar 8,89 € - to La Linea 4,89 € postage for a small parcel. Do you have a post box in La Linea? Cool

Thanks for the offer, but postage to Gibraltar from Germany and vice versa takes weeks for some unknown reason (probably political as it goes via Spain!) I don't have a postal address in La Linea either. I don't see myself doing this every time Marklin decides to upgrade, especially if the unit will still work OK with all my locomotives. The reason for my last upgrade was that mfx+ locos would not register correctly on my V1.5 device.

I think that Marklin underestimate the popularity of the MS2 in it's own right, and not as a step up to the CS2/3. For small layouts it is all that you will ever need and it would be nice if Marklin recognised that fact and delivered some way of updating it easily.
Ray
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 24 May 2019 18:48:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The easiest way to provide update capability is to add the Ethernet port and capability to the trackbox. It would cost a $5 at most for the hardware. Configuring it to your network is easier with a hardwired network port (no need to type in access codes for WiFi). Plug it in and your dhcp router does it’s thing. Adding WiFi beyond that would be another $5 and you could use the Ethernet port and a computer to configure it.

But I bet most of Märklin customer base has at least a dealer within easy driving distance. And given how rarely one updates the MS2 the option to mail it to a dealer seems a workable compromise of address the rest of the customers.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:02:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

But I bet most of Märklin customer base has at least a dealer within easy driving distance. And given how rarely one updates the MS2 the option to mail it to a dealer seems a workable compromise of address the rest of the customers.

I disagree. Many countries now have few if any Marklin dealers. The whole of UK has now only one Marklin dealer that I am aware of. Is it fair to enthusiasts who already rely on on-line purchases because of geography to have to send their controller away, possibly for weeks? It would force them to have at least two so as to be able to continue to run trains while one was sent away.

In today's connected world surely it makes sense to be able to update a digital device over the internet?
Ray
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:37:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   

I disagree. Many countries now have few if any Marklin dealers. The whole of UK has now only one Marklin dealer that I am aware of. Is it fair to enthusiasts who already rely on on-line purchases because of geography to have to send their controller away, possibly for weeks? It would force them to have at least two so as to be able to continue to run trains while one was sent away.

In today's connected world surely it makes sense to be able to update a digital device over the internet?

Those of us in the US and other non EU locations are, I would expect a small percent of the total Märklin customer base, whether we like it or not. Märklin would not incur business costs to its product that would only really be needed by such a small population. For those of us out here, sending in a MS2 to a dealer and having to wait 2-3 weeks is absolutely ok. Its not ideal, but as this sort of activity is likely once over 3-5 years, its tolerable. Me, I'm going to wait probably another 8-12 months to make sure any issues in the update are resolved and stable, and then mail my MS2 in from my house to my closest dealer, which is a 4 days drive from me.

Sure more frequent updates are the thing today, in consumer electronics, which have a much larger volume of sales. Our niche products are not that. A future revision of the hardware of the trackbox may resolve that, but Märklin has to look at the business case of what gain would there be vs the costs to modify the hardware design ( I don't think the cost increase of $10 for the starter set or track box will cause any change in sales).

I don't disagree with the notion: would it be great to have, and should a 2018 designed hardware component that can upgrade firmware have a way to update that firmware over a computer, yes. But I suspect that the track box design dates back from a time when that was not at all the normal expectation.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline dominator  
#22 Posted : 25 May 2019 01:27:05(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I,m lucky, even though I live in a remote part of NZ, Lasse lives about 10 minutes away. [ he has a CS3 ]

Minok wrote

""""The easiest way to provide update capability is to add the Ethernet port and capability to the trackbox. It would cost a $5 at most for the hardware. Configuring it to your network is easier with a hardwired network port (no need to type in access codes for WiFi). Plug it in and your dhcp router does it’s thing. Adding WiFi beyond that would be another $5 and you could use the Ethernet port and a computer to configure it. """""

So my question.

How easy would it be to make up a kit to do the above and have it available for those that live in very remote areas?

Also, the issues Peter Clapcott has mentioned, would seem to caution those of us who are not so savvy with electronics, so would we be advised to wait a bit before leaping in over our depth?

I only have 17 locos that can be controlled by the Pair of MS2's I have. I do find sometimes, when loading a loco on position 11, it wont work, so I end up attempting add another loco, so i have independant controll of the 2 locos via separate controllers. It sounds like I will be able to do this better with the updated MS2's
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 25 May 2019 01:47:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I,m lucky, even though I live in a remote part of NZ, Lasse lives about 10 minutes away. [ he has a CS3 ]

Minok wrote

""""The easiest way to provide update capability is to add the Ethernet port and capability to the trackbox. It would cost a $5 at most for the hardware. Configuring it to your network is easier with a hardwired network port (no need to type in access codes for WiFi). Plug it in and your dhcp router does it’s thing. Adding WiFi beyond that would be another $5 and you could use the Ethernet port and a computer to configure it. """""

So my question.

How easy would it be to make up a kit to do the above and have it available for those that live in very remote areas?

Also, the issues Peter Clapcott has mentioned, would seem to caution those of us who are not so savvy with electronics, so would we be advised to wait a bit before leaping in over our depth?

I only have 17 locos that can be controlled by the Pair of MS2's I have. I do find sometimes, when loading a loco on position 11, it wont work, so I end up attempting add another loco, so i have independant controll of the 2 locos via separate controllers. It sounds like I will be able to do this better with the updated MS2's

Are you asking how easy it would be for someone that is not Märklin to build a kit to implement this?

I would expect that to be very difficult or impossible, short of reverse-engineering the MS2, Trackbox and hacking both.
The MS2 talks to the Trackbox via its signalling method, and I'd bet the MS firmware doesn't provide for updating the MS firmware from the trackbox.
The trackbox certainly hasn't got any capabilities in it to get a firmware image and push it UP to the MS.

One could build a circuit that has network access, that lives inside the trackbox and that looks to the Trackbox as if it were a MS. If there are not security certificates involved in the exchange, that circuit could fetch patches from Märklin over the internet, and offer them to the Trackbox pretending to be a MS.

For that same circuit to push firmware up to the MS, that circuit would have to be pretending to be a CS.

So if you just hack the trackbox and have that circuit something you can turn on/off via a small toggle switch, if the mod would pretend to be a CS that you install in the trackbox, with just enough of the CS features to be able to fetch (internet) and push (to MS) firmware, you could pull it off. Then that circuit is disabled, and the MS2 would then push the firmware down to the trackbox.

But to build that 'looks like a CS' (there is room inside the shell of the trackbox) system would almost certainly violate some Märklin intellectual property if its not impossible due to the use of signing certificates.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 25 May 2019 16:52:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post

Minok wrote

So my question.

Are you asking how easy it would be for someone that is not Märklin to build a kit to implement this?

I would expect that to be very difficult or impossible, short of reverse-engineering the MS2, Trackbox and hacking both.
The MS2 talks to the Trackbox via its signalling method, and I'd bet the MS firmware doesn't provide for updating the MS firmware from the trackbox.
The trackbox certainly hasn't got any capabilities in it to get a firmware image and push it UP to the MS.

One could build a circuit that has network access, that lives inside the trackbox and that looks to the Trackbox as if it were a MS. If there are not security certificates involved in the exchange, that circuit could fetch patches from Märklin over the internet, and offer them to the Trackbox pretending to be a MS.

For that same circuit to push firmware up to the MS, that circuit would have to be pretending to be a CS.

So if you just hack the trackbox and have that circuit something you can turn on/off via a small toggle switch, if the mod would pretend to be a CS that you install in the trackbox, with just enough of the CS features to be able to fetch (internet) and push (to MS) firmware, you could pull it off. Then that circuit is disabled, and the MS2 would then push the firmware down to the trackbox.

But to build that 'looks like a CS' (there is room inside the shell of the trackbox) system would almost certainly violate some Märklin intellectual property if its not impossible due to the use of signing certificates.

In the Internet you will find plenty of solutions as to use a MS 2 as a CS or connect it with the PC/Internet. Just three examples:

http://www.skrauss.de/modellbahn/gbox.html

http://www.can-digital-b...om/modul.php?system=sys3

1st point: mainly all text is in German.
2nd point: all solutions are costing money as well. So you always have to keep in mind, if it is not better and cheaper to buy a CS 3 instead of spending money and time for a small MS 2 PC/Internet solution.
3rd point: you must have quite a lot of computer, software and/or electronics experience doing this conncetion.
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 25 May 2019 17:24:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In the Internet you will find plenty of solutions as to use a MS 2 as a CS or connect it with the PC/Internet.

Yes; but all these are doing basically the opposite of what we are looking for here. Cool

And I don't think Märklin will give us as cheap MS2-update-device which can be used as a CS3 on a PC........ LOL

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#26 Posted : 26 May 2019 01:07:53(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

And I don't think Märklin will give us as cheap MS2-update-device which can be used as a CS3 on a PC........ LOL

No and neither do I unfortunately.

That would be ideal but I don't think that Märklin ever intended for the MS family to be the control system for a larger layout. Rather they see it as a good starting point which might lead you into a CS after a bit. And looking ahead they made it compatible with the CS2 and CS3 as an additional control point. But the MS2 is quite capable on its own and now with the updated software, even more so.

So I can see why many people see an MS2 as a quite good enough way to access the same Märklin model behavior at just a fraction of the cost, particularly if they are coming directly from analog.

So I agree that Märklin does need to provide stand alone update capability for the MS2 now, but that might take some time and maybe a new MS3?
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Minok  
#27 Posted : 26 May 2019 01:43:08(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

So I agree that Märklin does need to provide stand alone update capability for the MS2 now, but that might take some time and maybe a new MS3?

A possibility is a small $20 device that one plugs the MS2 CAN bus plug into and via a Märklin mobile app as the fetcher then via that device facilitate an update. But is there enough of business case to support it?

The benefit story is the 32 functions so those that have small layouts with an MS can use all the functions when Märklin clearly is using those large numbers of functions as a differentiating feature.

Once we have that update what compelling reason would there be to update again?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 26 May 2019 10:34:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have update MS2 with CS2 last night, No issue.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Online David Dewar  
#29 Posted : 26 May 2019 20:47:08(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
MS2 is the cheaper way into Marklin model rail and I would not expect even updates as a stand alone controller. Used along with a CS2 or 3 then the extra paid for these items should have the ability to up date the MS2 if required. A simple controller to get kids or anybody interested in Marklin is the way to go. A CS will cost only slightly more than many Marklin locos and can be purchased at a later date as and when the layout grows.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline tiono  
#30 Posted : 27 May 2019 03:05:48(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Probably Marklin need to get statistical data; the percentage of customers who use MS without CS. If the population is quite significant, e.g. 20 percent or more, then should consider to add USB port into MS to provide additional features, such as software updating.
Nowaday, software update is common on many digital consumer electronics. Digital home TV, robotic vacuum cleaner, even my cheap $50 wifi security camera can update thru internet or USB.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 27 May 2019 06:22:09(UTC)
Goofy

MS2 and the box should have a LAN or USB connect to have possible by upgrade byself. Märklin present MS2 as standard digital system which is enough for a large layout too.
H0
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline RayF  
#32 Posted : 27 May 2019 15:18:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
MS2 is the cheaper way into Marklin model rail and I would not expect even updates as a stand alone controller. Used along with a CS2 or 3 then the extra paid for these items should have the ability to up date the MS2 if required. A simple controller to get kids or anybody interested in Marklin is the way to go. A CS will cost only slightly more than many Marklin locos and can be purchased at a later date as and when the layout grows.

Dave, the problem is that the MS2 is not really a "simple controller". It is capable of controlling all locomotive functions for up to 40 locos as well as many of the accessory functions. I (and I assume many others in my situation) will never ever need a CS2/3 for my small layout. It would be a complete overkill and a waste of money. I therefore think there is a very valid case for being able to update my controller without having to beg a favour from someone else.

If we were talking about the IR controllers included in the cheaper starter sets then I would agree with you, as these are very basic and cheap and not worth updating.
Ray
Offline TEEWolf  
#33 Posted : 27 May 2019 17:19:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post
Probably Marklin need to get statistical data; the percentage of customers who use MS without CS. If the population is quite significant, e.g. 20 percent or more, then should consider to add USB port into MS to provide additional features, such as software updating.
Nowaday, software update is common on many digital consumer electronics. Digital home TV, robotic vacuum cleaner, even my cheap $50 wifi security camera can update thru internet or USB.

I do not think so that this will happen. Märklin started with the Mobile Station (60652) in the year 2004. Introduced the MS 2 (60653) in 2010 and the MS 2 (60657) in 2016. The Mobile Station is now 15 years old and Märklin never has changed his concept, which includes special devices in both at a MS and a CS as well: the loco card! Guess how often Windows has changed his name and how often were updated in the passed 15 years?

I think Märklin knows very well (and has all necessary data for the statistics available, because every MS has a serial number inside) about the usage and capabilities of a MS. But sooner or later M wants to sell its CS to everybody. Also to the people who bought a MS first. So I can imagine, M brings up a smaller (and cheaper) CS 3, but I do not think it will expand its MS controller. This controller has reached his peak price limit already. Every hardware change would make it more expensive and all starter-sets as well. (Software is another world.) This will not be good for their distribution and marketing goals: sales by a high profitability! A further downgraded CS 3(e.g. like a 60236 - BigGrin) seems to be more likely.
Online David Dewar  
#34 Posted : 27 May 2019 17:28:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Dave, the problem is that the MS2 is not really a "simple controller". It is capable of controlling all locomotive functions for up to 40 locos as well as many of the accessory functions. I (and I assume many others in my situation) will never ever need a CS2/3 for my small layout. It would be a complete overkill and a waste of money. I therefore think there is a very valid case for being able to update my controller without having to beg a favour from someone else.

If we were talking about the IR controllers included in the cheaper starter sets then I would agree with you, as these are very basic and cheap and not worth updating.

Hi Ray. Yes I understand your view. I don't have an MS2 so can only go with pictures of it and the screen for me would be too small. Also does it do events and shuttles etc. My view is it should be available at as low as cost as possible to bring folk into the hobby and thus features would be at a minimum. I have gone from a 6021 to a CS1 (which was dreadful) and then to a CS2 for around ten years which I still have and continue to use along with my new CS3 Plus.
The cost over the years is small compared to what I spend on locos, coaches and Faller kits.
I only updated my CS2 once and I have no need at present to update the CS3.
My layout is 18 ' x 4 ' so not huge but does have six locos running on shuttles or CS3 events with a another couple manually and I am not sure if a MS2 could do that but I could be wrong.
However what is best for everybody is the way to go.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TEEWolf  
#35 Posted : 27 May 2019 18:35:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

... My layout is 18 ' x 4 ' so not huge but does have six locos running on shuttles or CS3 events with a another couple manually and I am not sure if a MS2 could do that but I could be wrong.
However what is best for everybody is the way to go.

Hello David,

in the brand new "Instruction Mobile Station 2 (version 3.55 or higher) 60653 / 60657 / 66950 / 66955"

https://static.maerklin....59c2552dff1557844976.pdf

is written on page 4 the application of a MS 2:

"The MS 2 is used to control a model railroad and can be used for H0/N/1/G Gauge.
MS 2 Features:
• Digital protocols: Märklin Motorola, mfx, DCC according to NMRA/NEM standards
• Running locomotives (M addresses 1 - 255, DCC 1 – 10239)
• Running mfx locomotives (automatic registration)
• Programming locomotives
• Locomotive list for 40 active locomotives (direct selection)
• Locomotive data base over 1,000 locomotives
• Keyboard (addresses 1 - 320)".

Whereas keyboard means controlling accessories like solenoid accessory protocols. But no word about automation of technical processes, events, etc., etc., etc. A MS 2 cannot do it. I think this is a really relevant difference to a CS 3 too.

Edited by user 31 May 2019 19:46:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Purellum  
#36 Posted : 27 May 2019 18:47:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

six locos running on shuttles or CS3 events with a another couple manually and I am not sure if a MS2 could do that

The short answer: No, the MS2 can't do shuttles or events. BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline tiono  
#37 Posted : 27 May 2019 19:08:19(UTC)
tiono

United States   

I think Märklin knows very well (and has all necessary data for the statistics available, because every MS has a serial number inside) about the usage and capabilities of a MS. But sooner or later M wants to sell its CS to everybody. Also to the people who bought a MS first. So I can imagine, M brings up a smaller (and cheaper) CS 3, but I do not think it will expand its MS controller. This controller has reached his peak price limit already. Every hardware change would make it more expensive and all starter-sets as well. (Software is another world.) This will not be good for their distribution and marketing goals: sales by a high profitability! A further downgraded CS 3(e.g. like a 60236 - BigGrin) seems to be more likely.

Selling controller will not generate much profit. It is not Marklin's main product, but just an enabler of their main business; selling model train.
Electronics hardware (computing devices) become more and more capable, and lower cost. Remember the evolution of personal computing device; from desktop, to laptop, to smartphone.
Model train digital controller is essentially a computing device. Marklin introduced the first digital system on 1985 with 6020+6035. During this year, computing device was still in its infancy, Apple II and IBM PC-XT were at the technological forefront. Marklin controller was desktop unit, no mobile station will be possible. During the 90s, digital mobile phone started to flourish, and so the computer chip become smaller and more capable. Then 2000s, PDA device started to emerge. This kind of technology made MS controller became possible at low cost. So Marklin introduced MS in 2004. A cheaper digital train controller packed in handheld device.
Today, 15 years later, micro-electronics technology had advanced so much, that MS can be designed as capable as CS without increasing the cost too much. But this will surely render the bulky desktop controller to be obsolete, killing the CS.
(you can observe today's drone FPV handheld controller, which is more complex and require more powerful computing device than a train controller, but cost the same or even less than CS3 )

I personally prefer a train-controller which is portable, multiple devices (several person play together, each holding his/her own device), without the need of CS.
Children especially, will be excited when they are free to move around the layout with their controller, instead of static position with the CS.
So remember, the controller is just an enabler, not the main business. If it is possible to design a controller which will enhance user's excitement, then why not? the game industry is very good in this respect.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Goofy  
#38 Posted : 27 May 2019 22:51:59(UTC)
Goofy

How does the MS2 working now with the latest version?
Anybody tested and what is there like/dislike?
H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#39 Posted : 28 May 2019 00:04:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post

Selling controller will not generate much profit. It is not Marklin's main product, but just an enabler of their main business; selling model train.
Electronics hardware (computing devices) become more and more capable, and lower cost. Remember the evolution of personal computing device; from desktop, to laptop, to smartphone.
Model train digital controller is essentially a computing device. Marklin introduced the first digital system on 1985 with 6020+6035. During this year, computing device was still in its infancy, Apple II and IBM PC-XT were at the technological forefront. Marklin controller was desktop unit, no mobile station will be possible. During the 90s, digital mobile phone started to flourish, and so the computer chip become smaller and more capable. Then 2000s, PDA device started to emerge. This kind of technology made MS controller became possible at low cost. So Marklin introduced MS in 2004. A cheaper digital train controller packed in handheld device.
Today, 15 years later, micro-electronics technology had advanced so much, that MS can be designed as capable as CS without increasing the cost too much. But this will surely render the bulky desktop controller to be obsolete, killing the CS.
(you can observe today's drone FPV handheld controller, which is more complex and require more powerful computing device than a train controller, but cost the same or even less than CS3 )

I personally prefer a train-controller which is portable, multiple devices (several person play together, each holding his/her own device), without the need of CS.
Children especially, will be excited when they are free to move around the layout with their controller, instead of static position with the CS.
So remember, the controller is just an enabler, not the main business. If it is possible to design a controller which will enhance user's excitement, then why not? the game industry is very good in this respect.

No problem, if you
Quote:
... personally prefer a train-controller which is portable, multiple devices (several person play together, each holding his/her own device), ...
than you shall read this thread:

https://www.marklin-user...eld-Controller-for-CS2-3

Also you should accept, not a MS 2 is the major controller from Märklin. It is the CS 3 and of course it is the main business, the center of your MRR! As well as considerung what you can add and connect to the CAN bus of a CS 3. And this position will still grow by more and more added features per soft- and hardware, as the new handheld controller RC/3 demonstrate already.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline tiono  
#40 Posted : 28 May 2019 03:08:35(UTC)
tiono

United States   
than you shall read this thread:

https://www.marklin-user...eld-Controller-for-CS2-3

Also you should accept, not a MS 2 is the major controller from Märklin. It is the CS 3 and of course it is the main business, the center of your MRR! As well as considerung what you can add and connect to the CAN bus of a CS 3. And this position will still grow by more and more added features per soft- and hardware, as the new handheld controller RC/3 demonstrate already.

Of course CS3 is the major controller, no doubt about it.
But for those many Marklin customers who are using MS without CS, then the MS is the center of their MRR. My point is; using today's technology, the MS can be designed to perform as good as CS without the bulkiness and high price.
To me; the RC/3 demonstrated that Marklin already know all of this, but they hesitate to redesign the current controller. So they simply integrating third party product to probe the water. Unfortunately its price is high and still centered at CS. Thus will not appeal to "MS-only users".
To make a handheld controller successful; it has to be able to operate free from CS, and at lower cost than CS.
(Marklin can add micro-controller into the track-box, so that it will have USB, wireless capability, and flash memory. I'm sure very cheap microcontroller, such as the one used by Arduino, can handle this. The handheld controller will be the client device connecting wirelessly to the track box)
Offline MaerklinLife  
#41 Posted : 28 May 2019 10:44:03(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Am I the only one who noticed the booster menus in the current MS2 update? I think Märklin is planning to integrate a booster option with the MS2.

Updating the MS2 from a friend's CS or the dealer is fine for most people. A separate update option (and potential new hardware for it) simply cannot be justified with the low number of updates taking place.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline gene harvey  
#42 Posted : 28 May 2019 20:40:02(UTC)
gene harvey

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Am I the only one who noticed the booster menus in the current MS2 update? I think Märklin is planning to integrate a booster option with the MS2.

Updating the MS2 from a friend's CS or the dealer is fine for most people. A separate update option (and potential new hardware for it) simply cannot be justified with the low number of updates taking place.

What update of the MS2 are you referencing, the 2.7 or the 3.55

thanks, gene
Offline TEEWolf  
#43 Posted : 30 May 2019 00:01:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

It looks like. You are really the only one who was alert enough to recognize the new menu points “update booster”, “Booster config”, and I found another new menu point beneath. It is “update files”. @Maerklinlife very well done and attentive. Thank you.

Everybody who has booster and a MS 2 but not a CS, an update of the MS 2 software (SW) seems to be a must for him. Because I do not have a booster, these new menu points at my MS 2 are crossed out. But not the point “update files”. There I did not update my second MS 2 yet, I could not test this point. After the repair of my broken connector, at the moment I got a MS 2 with a version SW 3.55 and one MS 2 with version 2.7.

Here again a short comparison of both SW versions:

SW version old 2.7 updated to version new 3.55
HW old 2.0 new 2.0
LDB old 014 (2014/5) new 014 (2014/5)
Language old 1.49 new 2.3
file system old 1.2 new 1.2
track box old 1.39 new 1.41

new menu points from vers 3.55 on
- update Booster
- Booster config
- update files

Sorry for this strange table. But does anybody know as the TAB function is usable for this system? Before posting it was looking really nice. After tranfering the post to the system it appears like scrambled eggs.

@gene harvey
Obviously it must be SW version 3.55 @MaerklinLife is referencing to.
Offline clapcott  
#44 Posted : 30 May 2019 06:11:12(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Everybody who has booster and a MS 2 but not a CS, an update of the MS 2 software (SW) seems to be a must for him.

Not so fast, there are multiple ducks that have to be lined up here

- Controller software support is one thing, but you need to identify what that support is for!
There are a number of existing (non-Marklin as well as the 60129) booster solutions that can (re)drive the signal to the track if it is only one way

Support of bi-directional (mfx) feedback might be an issue where some intelligence is needed

- Plug/Cable
Marklins current generation of CAN boosters use a 7 pin device plug, The Trackbox only offers 10pin MS2 support

- Electrical
Out of the current trackbox (10 pin connectors) comes power(2) and the CAN signal (2) - the other 6 pins are not used.
For booster operation another pair "Gleissesignal "0" and Gleissesignal "B" are needed.

In summary.
I think you can expect a NEW trackbox (TB/3) with a specific 7 pin booster connector.
(Hell, there may even be an ethernet port thrown in ;-) )
Actually it doesn't have to be just for a booster you could use thr RC/3

And probably a companion MS/3 (in name at least to round out the portfolio for marketing).

The latest MS2 update that makes reference to booster support sounds like good "preparedness" for minus 1 generation ROI.
Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#45 Posted : 30 May 2019 09:48:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/db/12/db128cf1ffd9482b0bda8c59c2552dff1557844976.pdf

I already referenced that manual in this thread - see post #9!

Offline TEEWolf  
#46 Posted : 31 May 2019 21:40:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
https://static.maerklin.de/damcontent/db/12/db128cf1ffd9482b0bda8c59c2552dff1557844976.pdf

I already referenced that manual in this thread - see post #9!

Yes, I knew that. Aren't we both polite human beings?

You offered the source in general to everybody at the beginning of this thread.

I just set it up for the use of reading only page 4 and the reader should not scroll back from post #35 to post #9 for it. But sorry, my text was not sufficient enough therefore. I altered it and hopefully, do you agree with my new text too?

But for all:

today I received my Insider package 03/2019 including the new Märklin Magazine 03/2019. From page 20 onwards is a very detailed article "The magic number is 32" about the MS 2 update. It gives very interesting requirements for the 3.5.5 MS 2 update. Informations I never had read before somewhere. I did not read the new MS 2 manual completely, but the article in the MM describes important informations for this update.

On page 24 is written the update procedure for a MS 2 with a CS 2/CS 3 as generally known. At p 25 first updating a track box with a MS 2. Afterwards it is written as you update a MS 2 with a track box. Well, this is new to me, an update of a MS 2 from a track box.

Here a passage from the Märklin Magazine 03/2019 page 23:

“The track box is an elementary component of the MS 2 and supplies both, the control unit and the tracks with power. In order for an MS 2 updated to the latest software version 3.5.5 to work on one of these track boxes, they must have been updated to version 1.4.1. All other MS 2s connected to the same system must also have the current software version 3.5.5 in order for the entire system to function.”

This sounds to me, it is not possible updating one MS 2 to version 3.5.5 and keep another one at the old software level 2.7 at the same already to version 1.4.1 updated track box.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Alsterstreek  
#47 Posted : 26 June 2019 16:40:47(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Update-Information CS 2 - Version 4.2.9 (0) June 2019:

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/downloads/cs2-updates/

On the Stummiforum it is mentioned that the new version contains a successful bug fix regarding the track box, meaning that now the intended updating cascade CS2 -> MS2 -> track box is working:

https://stummiforum.de/v...e6&start=75#p1986033
Offline kiwiAlan  
#48 Posted : 26 June 2019 17:48:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post

On the Stummiforum it is mentioned that the new version contains a successful bug fix regarding the track box, meaning that now the intended updating cascade CS2 -> MS2 -> track box is working:

That is mentioned in the release note as well.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#49 Posted : 02 July 2019 01:04:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

- Plug/Cable
Marklins current generation of CAN boosters use a 7 pin device plug, The Trackbox only offers 10pin MS2 support

This is correct, but see the manual for the terminal 60125.

https://static.maerklin....0d0c3e62e31434541986.pdf

There is shown an adapter (60124) from 10 to 7 pins. This adapter is only to connect a MS 2 to a terminal 60125/60145. There you also can plug in a booster with 7 pins. Märklin has developed a very sophisticated plug and socket system for the CAN bus with variable pins. But most of the pins are not used for electric connections. They are used to stick a CAN bus always together with the correct devices.
Offline clapcott  
#50 Posted : 02 July 2019 02:35:56(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
- Plug/Cable

This is correct, but see the manual for the terminal 60125.

https://static.maerklin....0d0c3e62e31434541986.pdf

There is shown an adapter (60124) from 10 to 7 pins. This adapter is only to connect a MS 2 to a terminal 60125/60145. There you also can plug in a booster with 7 pins. Märklin has developed a very sophisticated plug and socket system for the CAN bus with variable pins. But most of the pins are not used for electric connections. They are used to stick a CAN bus always together with the correct devices.

Whats your point??

Neither the 60125 nor the 60124 can be used with the current MS2 Track-boxes nor the MSII-Hub, so why bring those items into the discussion?

Next you will be telling us that, because the 60115 provides 7pin and 10pin connection sockets that both a 60175 and 60653 can plug into it, that all three must therefore work together.

Edited by user 02 July 2019 10:39:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott