Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rrf  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2019 14:16:57(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I noticed the magic red dot on my CS3 this morning. After going to the Märklin web site I found software version 1.4.1 has been released. After reading the English release notes (link below), I noticed that this release is predominantly a code update for the MS2.

CS3 Firmware v1.4.1 English Release Notes

The text from the release notes that caught my eye is:

For the CS 3 / CS3 + are in the update 1.4.1only minor improvements included compared to software version 1.4.0.

To me this implies some amount of bug fixes. Sadly these "minor improvements" are not listed in the release notes. Does anyone have information about what these CS3 code updates might be?

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2019 14:31:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I noticed the magic red dot on my CS3 this morning. After going to the Märklin web site I found software version 1.4.1 has been released. After reading the English release notes (link below), I noticed that this release is predominantly a code update for the MS2.

For the CS 3 / CS3 + are in the update 1.4.1only minor improvements included compared to software version 1.4.0.

To me this implies some amount of bug fixes. Sadly these "minor improvements" are not listed in the release notes. Does anyone have information about what these CS3 code updates might be?

Regards,

Hmm, the web page says there is a USB update as well, but it is still labelled as 1.4.0.

Looks like the same update is available for the cs2 as well, it is being called 4.2.8.

Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2019 16:19:49(UTC)
Goofy

In the webpage it stand 1.4.1 but USB-stick.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2019 17:29:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Goofy should be happy now, the update makes the MS2 control 32 functions LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2019 18:33:45(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Søren has now written a short introduction on the Danish "Baneforum" ( In Danish BigGrin )

https://baneforum.dk/vie...h25ZOGRMZgErv0pMOlmpf3sY

Most important is that you have to do the MS2-update from the CS,
just accepting the MS's suggestion of making an update will not work.

And then you should read the new MS2 manual, since a lot of things have changed. Cool

https://static.maerklin....f3c36e4fb91557845024.pdf

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2019 23:24:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Regards,

Thanks for the info.

Done at my CS 3+ and for one of my 2 MS 2.Smile The other one is refusing the connection neither to the CS 3+ nor to the track box itself. Looks like that the jack is kaputt (broken). The pins in there are very quickly bended. I guess I take it with me to the IMA days 2019 to Märklin. They got an separate advisory and repair desk there.

New to myself a software (SW) update directly from the MS 2 to the track box as well. Never seen and done before. First step was the SW update for the track box on the CS 3+! Then The transfer of the update to the MS 2 and from the MS 2 to the track box. But the update was perfectly functioning.

One of my MS 2 has now SW V 3.55 and track box SW V 1.41.

The other one is kaputt.ThumbDown
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 16 May 2019 00:35:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Søren has now written a short introduction on the Danish "Baneforum" ( In Danish BigGrin )

If you use the Google Chrome browser to view Søren's article, Chrome does a good job of translating the article to English.

Note that there is also an update for the CS2 as well.

Goofy should be happy now........

Is that even possible.......?? OhMyGod Scared
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2019 01:08:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

If you look into the manual than probably many users won't be happy too. E.g. to use the function keys f24 - f27 you have to push the shift button three times! Quite a lot. A CS 3 does it much easier and quicker. Also new is the notice of the active function keys range in the display below the loco symbol.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2019 07:02:00(UTC)
Goofy

The update did worked yesterday.
There is some defaults at TDCB in the CS3.
I did fixed my digital signal but the Icon of signal appears strange in the screen of the TDCB.
Even m83 with the Icons does not show up in the screen of the CS3.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2019 07:44:55(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
If you look into the manual than probably many users won't be happy too.

Statistically 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy.............. LOL Flapper LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 16 May 2019 07:53:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

One more article from Søren, this time on the changes to the CS3. Cool

The update relates to mSD3 and mLD3 decoders. You can now update the firmware of the decoders,
including decoders already mounted in locomotives sold by Märklin.

Apparently this didn't work very well in the previous CS3 software; now it does BigGrin

Again only in Danish; but very detailed with lots of pictures:

https://baneforum.dk/vie...5cJ9fmaBR7g6cWaN3kKj3oEY

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline mbarreto  
#12 Posted : 17 May 2019 15:11:53(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,
I have asked this in other thread, but I think this one is more appropriate, so I post it here too.

I updated CS3+ and after that MS2 without problems. The issue is the track box is in SW V 1.39 and the MS2 says that it doesn't have higher version for the track box.

In other post in this thread TEEwolf wrote he got " track box SW V 1.41". I also saw in the change log shown in other thread something like "Update track box 2".

My question is if there are 2 versions of the track box and the update exists only for the version 2, or I didn't do some part of the update?

regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 17 May 2019 15:55:24(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Nah it should offer an update for your track box. I got the problem as well. Try and re-update your MS2.

- Hold down the red knob.
- While holding down the red knob, connect the MS2 to the CS3.
- The CS3 should offer a new update for your MS2. Your MS2 may also start handling its internal files.
- What ever happens, when it is done, connect the MS2 to the track box and see if it offers to update it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline mbarreto  
#14 Posted : 17 May 2019 18:46:56(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Nah it should offer an update for your track box. I got the problem as well. Try and re-update your MS2.

- Hold down the red knob.
- While holding down the red knob, connect the MS2 to the CS3.
- The CS3 should offer a new update for your MS2. Your MS2 may also start handling its internal files.
- What ever happens, when it is done, connect the MS2 to the track box and see if it offers to update it.

Hello,

The trackbox is now in SW V1.41! Thanks for the tip. It only worked after I did what you suggested 3 times. The 3rd attempt was done on the CS3+ left MS2 socket and the first 2 were on the CS3+ right MS2 socket. I think it should work on both sockets the same way...
I also tested the additional functions (on top of the 16) with 39880 and it worked.

The first 2 attempts on the right socket led to strange results on the MS2, even though it showed it was in V3.55. Apparently it was working, but it changed to German language, so I assume a reset happened as the locos on the loco list also disapeared. After that I couldn't change the language and on the second attempt it blocked in the language screen after a reset and selecion of the language screen... A bit confusing but finally it is working :)

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#15 Posted : 17 May 2019 20:21:01(UTC)
MaerklinLife

It must be a coincidence. It does not matter if you use the left or the right plug. I often update more MS2's plugged in at either port.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 17 May 2019 20:47:14(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
It must be a coincidence. It does not matter if you use the left or the right plug. I often update more MS2's plugged in at either port.

I think you misspelled the word "bug".
BigGrin
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline AntoinePrt  
#17 Posted : 17 May 2019 21:28:45(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

If you look into the manual than probably many users won't be happy too. E.g. to use the function keys f24 - f27 you have to push the shift button three times! Quite a lot. A CS 3 does it much easier and quicker. Also new is the notice of the active function keys range in the display below the loco symbol.

Yes it is easier with a CS3! But not everybody has the budget to buy one. So I suggest we focus on the luck MS2 owners now have to enjoy the full capacity of their latest locomotives!

A.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 17 May 2019 22:25:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hello,
I have asked this in other thread, but I think this one is more appropriate, so I post it here too.

I updated CS3+ and after that MS2 without problems. The issue is the track box is in SW V 1.39 and the MS2 says that it doesn't have higher version for the track box.

In other post in this thread TEEwolf wrote he got " track box SW V 1.41". I also saw in the change log shown in other thread something like "Update track box 2".

My question is if there are 2 versions of the track box and the update exists only for the version 2, or I didn't do some part of the update?

regards,
Miguel

Hello Miguel,

you solved it already. Congratulation.

Nevertheless, I started the update for the CS 3. Then the update for the GFP (Gleisformatprozessor = track format processor) and then for the MS 2. But for all updates I had to wait some time till the little red point occurred, even for the CS 3 update. So I am gratefull for @rrf's thread opening post, because I do not have always attached my CS 3 to the internet. When I attache it, sometimes I do not wait long enough till the red marking point comes up. Knowing about a new update before, helps me a lot to be patient in waiting.BigGrin

After the "3rd round" of updating the CS 3 getting the software update for the MS 2, I updated the MS 2 at the CS 3. Afterwards a message at the MS 2 poped up, if I want to update the track box. So I did and recognized first time that this function is a part of a MS 2 menue, but normally this menue is out of use, while crossed out. In other words, if there is a track box update available, this point at the menue is not usable.

Because of this step on step update chain, I named about the various software versions for the various technical appliances, as a feedback to the MS 2 and track box users.

Best Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 17 May 2019 22:29:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post
Yes it is easier with a CS3! But not everybody has the budget to buy one. So I suggest we focus on the luck MS2 owners now have to enjoy the full capacity of their latest locomotives!

You are absolutely right ThumpUp ThumpUp

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 17 May 2019 22:46:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post

A.

Well, I am very well aware about the limitied financially situation probably of plenty or even most of MMR fans. Even my financial situation is limited and I always have to think about, what I want and/or have to buy first for my hobby. This is normal life and everybody has different preferences.

My post reflects the handling situation of a MS 2 with a hint to a CS 3. In this forum sometimes people ask for such experiences from useres for advice.

This has nothing to do with the personal financial situation. Do not mix it up please.

Regards

TEEWolf

P.S. Please, do not forget: for an update of a MS 2, you always need a CS 2, CS 3 or an already freshly updated MS 2 - no exceptions.
Offline umberto56  
#21 Posted : 18 May 2019 19:37:29(UTC)
umberto56

Italy   
Hello to everynody
Did anyone has problems after update to version 1.4.1 with canbus??
My problem is that after update, CS3 works only when canbus is disconnected..
I don’t have MS2.
Thanks to all for yours reply..
Umberto
Offline TEEWolf  
#22 Posted : 20 May 2019 03:25:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: umberto56 Go to Quoted Post
Hello to everynody
Did anyone has problems after update to version 1.4.1 with canbus??
My problem is that after update, CS3 works only when canbus is disconnected..
I don’t have MS2.
Thanks to all for yours reply..
Umberto

What do you mean "when the CAN bus is disconnected"? A CAN bus is a message-based Controller Area Network protocol.
Offline Purellum  
#23 Posted : 20 May 2019 07:36:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

A CAN bus is a message-based Controller Area Network protocol.

No, it is not; it's a physical connection, not a protocol.

Remember you told us how important it is that it's galvanic isolated; but never told us why ?? LOL

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to Umberto's problem.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage