Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mvd71  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2019 03:42:58(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi all,

Just installed the new 60906 decoder in a V36 loco. The loco was originally delta. As a part of the upgrade I installed a five armature but retained the AC motor. I have also installed ball bearings in the motor.

The results are interesting. I have yet to fully adjust the cv's to try and maximise the performance, however I can say that the low speed control is good, and it can crawl at incredibly low speeds. The running is reasonably smooth at most speeds. Top speed can be reduced to something prototypical.
Motor noise is still present in the same manner as the old delta decoder. Adding the ball bearings made no difference to the noise levels.

I have another decoder coming to try in a loco with a three pole motor, I will see how that performs.

Cheers....

Mike.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2019 04:02:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
My experience was not so good.. Started with an old analogue loco - cleaned motor, checked for free running and installed new brushes. It was a three pole DCM. Low speed running is non existent - in fact not much until 25% throttle - smooth after that point.. Need more time to play with the settings. At this stage, the running seems consistent with my old 1st generation digital v60 and the three pole Deltas.

On the plus side, Mfx means that there is no need to remember loco addresses or fitted functions.. It is also a very cheap way to move analogue to digital. A compromise - I guess..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2019 05:28:36(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Adrian,

My expectations were not high when I bought the decoder, so that meant I was not easily disappointed. It does have its limitations and I did experience the unusual throttle response you describe but I found it was not an major issue, and I could get the loco to perform well overall. At this stage I would say the biggest limitation is the lack of load compensation which makes the loco sensitive to voltage drop (nothing Marklin can do about this if we are to use an AC motor). Most of the noise I noticed was made worse by the loco being a model that is noisy as a result of its plastic body, and if used in another loco with a metal body it would probably be ok.

The mfx capability as you say is great, andI feel it is a cost effective upgrade for someone on a budget who wants to stick with Marklin products.

Biggest disappointment of the conversion was that the ball bearing conversion has zero affect on the noise level.

cheers.....
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2019 13:38:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I had the opportunity to use this new decoder on two sfcm powered locos and the results were very impressive.. Good slow speed running from the start..

So I revisited the loco with the DCM. After reading another thread about brush spring tensions, I decided to replace the cover with one from another analogue loco that I had converted to 5 pole and full digital some years ago, and the brushes (even though the original brushed were a long way from worn out). The loco now runs properly at 1/4 throttle and will start from a stop in a very jerky fashion.. A second DCM converted loco (different) model displayed the same symptoms. I am looking for new motor covers for both locos.. The ones in the conversion kits are too thin - probably to accomodate the thicker permanent magnet..

So there is an improvement, but the running of the DCM locos is far from ideal, while the SFCM powered loco perform beautifully. Confused Confused Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2019 10:40:15(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If I get time and can figure out the technology, I'll post a short video of the loco I converted