Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jwalt2065  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2019 17:06:04(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Hello again.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Sometimes when I turn on the CS3, the screen will stay blank (actually the screen is filled with tiny dark squares).
The first time it happened, I noticed the STOP bar was not lit as it would be after a normal startup.
To avoid trouble by unplugging the power, I held it down to see if the unit would shut down. There were some white flashing on the screen and the unit shut down.
It seems to do it mostly when I shut down and start right back up again or do a reboot from the menu.
It only done it a couple times from a first startup.

I was told that the unit would stabilize as it is used more.

Any comments on this?

Thanks,
John
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2019 17:14:08(UTC)
MaerklinLife

It happens from time to time. The system is starting up "behind the screen" but, of course, not very usable. This is why you can also shut the thing down by holding the stop button for a number of seconds.

As far as I know, Märklin is aware of the issue and working on a solution. But the nature of the problem is very difficult to identify, which makes it difficult to solve.
Offline siroljuk  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2019 17:16:55(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Originally Posted by: jwalt2065 Go to Quoted Post
Wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Hello, I have had the same problems. In the beginning there was several times that issue, but nowadays I have not had it .

It has to be a bug in the hardware no tin the software... I think.

Just cut the power and wait for few seconds then power the device up again, in my experience this issue has never occurred twice " at the same time"Blink

Regards

Jukka
Offline jwalt2065  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2019 18:28:14(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Thanks Jukka,
Thank you for the speedy reply.

Although it is an issue we both have/had, it is good to know that it is not just my CS3 that does it and not a major problem where the unit has to be returned for service.

As I stated, I didn't want some kind of glitch to happen to it by just unplugging it, so I hold the STOP down to shut it down.
I know the unit is basically a computer running Linux Debian on it.
I have a computer with Linux Ubuntu I use for my Sherline CNC mill and lathe.

Best regards,
John
Offline jwalt2065  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2019 18:37:42(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
The system is starting up "behind the screen" but, of course, not very usable.

But the nature of the problem is very difficult to identify, which makes it difficult to solve.

Thanks,
Since I could shut it down with the STOP, I figured it was partially running (does not illuminate the STOP button after booting).
Could be the video display driver (either software or hardware issue).

Regards,
John
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2019 20:25:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Sometimes I have to shut off the CS 3 several times till it really shut down. Before it looks like, as it is in a loop. But then I do not use the stop bar to shut down, I do it by the menu in systems. The shut down process is different, I was told by Märklin. Märklin recommends always to shut down by the menu button and less by the red stop bar.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2019 23:46:32(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Sometimes I have to shut off the CS 3 several times till it really shut down. Before it looks like, as it is in a loop. But then I do not use the stop bar to shut down, I do it by the menu in systems. The shut down process is different, I was told by Märklin. Märklin recommends always to shut down by the menu button and less by the red stop bar.

I always shut down using the system menu but it can sometimes take three goes to get it to shut down. At other times it will shut down immediately. Not really a problem though and is still faster than my CS2.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline jwalt2065  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2019 00:23:09(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
I forgot to mention that sometimes when I select to shut down via the menu, it would start but come back up and I had to do it again.
I have only experienced having to shut down 2 times at the most, and it only happened to me a couple times.
I was wondering if it was because I had a menu open or something like that where it would close the menu the 1st time and needed to do it again to complete the shut down procedure.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jwalt2065