Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lyctus  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2019 15:35:31(UTC)
lyctus

Australia   
Hello Metall fans. I have tried to search this Forum to see if this issue has surfaced previously, without success. Apologies if this is old material, but I am hoping that someone has had this experience, and can help.
Having moved home recently, I am unpacking my hobby shop full of model train and Meccano stuff and my one Marklin Metall set....my 1054 Land Machinen and was distressed to find, on opening the original storage box, that the tyres are sweating an oily secretion. The set is as new ( a number of models have been assembled and taken down ) and the parts returned to their plastic storage tray, and the clear plastic display cover fitted before putting away. I have owned this set from new since the late 1970's.
Can any Forum members refer me to any previous threads on this subject, or give me advice on flushing the tyres clean of the oily secretion, and suggested storage techniques to avoid this occurrence.
I do have Marklin/Dunlop tyres for 50mm pulleys and they are in very good shape. I do not know what the composition of the Land Machinen tyres are, but they are not rubber.
Any help will be most appreciated.

Love the images posted on the Forum of early Metall kits.....
Thanks
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2019 21:32:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, this is a known issue at some of the orange kits. It has nothing to do with good or bad storage, it just happens at some series of the wheels for the orange kits, at both the tractors and trucks. Washing them with soap-water only helps for a short time. Treating the wheels with talc-powder at least dries the oil or whatever that sticky liquid is. But after two years or so, it must be repeated. Don't leave these wheels on the rims for a longer time. The secretion also solves the colour of the rims.

Regards

Markus

Edited by user 07 April 2019 06:25:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline lyctus  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2019 14:46:53(UTC)
lyctus

Australia   
Thanks for your welcome Markus.
Your comments regarding clean up noted, and the use of talc is a good one. I have kept rubber products in talc previously and it has retarded perishing.
It is strange that the tyres,in the truck and tractor Metall kits, leech this oily substance. Almost as if an outer skin or coating has broken down and let out a part of the compound.
Advice noted and will be taken, thanks.