Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2019 14:16:06(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good afternoon,
not being able to find smoke fluid at my local shop and wanting to try eCig fluid I gave it a go.
The brand of fluid I tried does not work, no smoke, no nothing.

Now, the question I have is HOW do you suggest cleaning the smoke units ?

Blowing into them ?

Running them under the hot water tap ? Obviously removing them fro the loco first :-)

Other ?

Thank you and sorry for this silly trial :-)

Have a nice Sunday afternoon
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2019 14:31:41(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Good afternoon,
not being able to find smoke fluid at my local shop and wanting to try eCig fluid I gave it a go.
The brand of fluid I tried does not work, no smoke, no nothing.

Now, the question I have is HOW do you suggest cleaning the smoke units ?

Blowing into them ?

Running them under the hot water tap ? Obviously removing them fro the loco first :-)

Other ?

Have a nice Sunday afternoon

Marko are you sure your name isn't: Loco: Out of one's mind; insane; crazy! You obviously belong to the “Rookie Darwin Awards club” The Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who accidentally remove themselves from it in a spectacular manner!

Whatever has gotten you to do something so stupid as to use eCig fluid in a steam locomotive?

What next stand on the tracks to dry your hair when the train passes by!

Maybe I’m too hard on you but come on WTF were you thinking?
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2019 14:42:39(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I'll consider this satire.

But a pointless answer as well BigGrin
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:29:35(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   

Yes very silly trial.

I was mainly stating the obvious which you obviously don't seem to understand. How embarrassing to post such a question. Stupid is as stupid does! It means that an intelligent person who does stupid things is still stupid. You are what you do! This is a Marklin-users.net forum which means to foster knowledge and ideas between like minded people. Your question and reply speaks volumes of your personality and lack of reasoning. What made you think to use eCig fluid as a substitute for the real smoke fluid?
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:55:28(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Apart from not being 'stupid', maybe the idea it is per se, but smoke fluid and eCig fluid work on the same principle. You heat a fluid and this makes smoke, one you inhale and the other comes out of a smoke stack.

I don't believe this is a problem if it works. It hasn't worked out. With all the eCig fluids out there there could be one that is ok for Seuthe units.

My request was very simple, how do you clean the smoke unit, not rocket science. If you do not know the answer then just say so.

Like minded people, you say ? What if it had worked ?

Imagination is more important than knowledge, Einstein once said. I don't pretend to be like Einstein but I've got plenty of imagination and I like to try out 'new' things. Who says it is wrong ? Does this make me stupid ? I don't believe so,
I don't label people just for the sake of it. Enjoy your un-imaginative Sunday afternoon BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:56:24(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I think this needs to be notched down a bit.

We all do trials using various substances. Some work, some don't. So that doesn't mean a person needs to be called names and be put down for trying something, especially when admitting it was a mistake and asking for suggestions how to fix the mess he made. After all Canadians have a reputation of being polite!

Now to the question. I would, as you say, remove the smoke unit, wipe it out with a Q-tip and then use a mild detergent mixture to wipe it out again followed by a clean water wipe out. Not knowing what e-cig smoke fluid is based on, this may or may not work and hopefully someone else has a more definitive answer.

Peter
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline scraigen  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2019 15:59:36(UTC)
scraigen

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. – Chinese Proverb

No reason to be embarrassed about asking a question on here, I would just give it a rinse with WD40 or Isopropanol (alcohol), although others may be able to give much better suggestions as to cleaning of smoke generators.

I thought it was quite a reasonable thought to try eCig fluid!
Must build something
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline michelvr  
#8 Posted : 10 March 2019 16:07:39(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
I agree I am being very hard on Marko, my sincere apologies Marko!

ECig fluid:

The liquid is made up of a solvent, either glycerol or propylene glycol, nicotine, and often food-grade flavourings. ... Although the food flavourings are in themselves safe when used in food (as are the solvents) that does not mean they necessarily are entirely safe for a different use, such as in e-cigarettes.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2019 16:25:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

My request was very simple, how do you clean the smoke unit, not rocket science. If you do not know the answer then just say so.

I would suggest doing the following - fill a seuthe smoke fluid syringe with some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Then hold the loco upside down and squirt the IPA into the smoke unit and let it drain down onto a paper towel as you squirt the IPA in. This should be enough to wash out the ecig fluid.

I would work on filling the syringe with 5-10 ml of IPA, which when flowed through the smoke unit at the rate you can squirt it in should be enough to give it a spring clean.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline SteamNut  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2019 17:39:34(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
We have all done things that can considered stupid or regrettable in the past. Hopefully we never do them again. I myself was cleaning my track with a electronic cleaner and did not read the instructions which stated that it was flammable until it was dry. When I was testing the track a spark from the lok started a fire. Luckily I lost only two turnouts and five signals. Anybody else care to own up what they did? It might be interesting to read - Fred
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 10 March 2019 20:48:30(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't think it was a stupid test, I've been thinking about the same for some time; but haven't done the test YET Cool

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 10 March 2019 21:45:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
....this makes smoke, one you inhale and the other comes out of a smoke stack.

Sometimes I inhale (not intentionally) the smoke that comes out of the smoke stack....

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
I don't think it was a stupid test, I've been thinking about the same for some time; but haven't done the test YET

Does that mean you're not stupid YET, but will be soon....!? Flapper
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2019 22:35:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Does that mean you're not stupid YET, but will be soon....!?

Probably yes LOL

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2019 23:39:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The fire authorities in Pers region have been alerted. Excess smoke in no cause for concern its just a steamer on a model rail layout.

It has been noted that people are now buying Marklin smoke fluid to us in their Ecigs which will help Marklins profits. ESU said they are considering the matter and the facility will be added to their control system. PIKO are producing a special Ecig loco complete with fluid at half the price but Brawa say they have no idea what we are talking about as they don't smoke.

Here in Scotland we are using the fumes from the peat bog … supplies of peat are available for small fee.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline ixldoc  
#15 Posted : 10 March 2019 23:51:38(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Don't forget to remove the central pipe and run it through with the fine spring wire supplied by Seuthe.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#16 Posted : 10 March 2019 23:58:46(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi guys, thank you very much for your replies and suggestions, much appreciated.

Speaking of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is it possible to buy it in any supermarket / over the counter in England or I have to go to a chemist ?

No offence taken for anything said on my trial LOL

Have a nice week
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#17 Posted : 11 March 2019 11:53:51(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Hi guys, thank you very much for your replies and suggestions, much appreciated.

Speaking of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) is it possible to buy it in any supermarket / over the counter in England or I have to go to a chemist ?

No offence taken for anything said on my trial LOL

Have a nice week

I bought a litre for £9.99 off Amazon delivered next day!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline ocram63_uk  
#18 Posted : 11 March 2019 14:07:39(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi David,
thank you very much !!!
M
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 11 March 2019 17:31:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hmmm... I think it is actually very apluadable to have made this test.
If it wasnt for "stupid" tests made by brave people, we would all still be living in caves.
Just think of all those black-and-white movies with people trying different VERY STUPID ways of taking off in would-be flying machines.
They are laughable, yes, because we now know so much more.
But HOW do we know so much more? It is THANKS to these endless trials and errors, made by that people!

I dont think it is such a stretch thinking that smoke fluid and cigarette fluids could share common properties. Aren´t they based on the same principles???

I´m definetly tipping my hat for ocram´s tests!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 11 March 2019 21:25:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

Yes very silly trial.

Why a silly trial? Both are substances that produce a smoke when heated up.
Both are substances that in vapor form are not healthy to inhale.

Your suggestion that the experiment was doomed to failure and a person undertaking it a fool is off base and not productive.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 11 March 2019 22:06:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't think we need to call each other names, but yes it was a silly thing to do! We all do silly things occasionally, and this is probably a good example. If we don't like the word silly we could try "Ill advised".

Although some of you have thought it admirable that someone should try things at random to see if it works, as a person with scientific and engineering background I can tell you that that's not how things are invented or discovered. That is more how people are killed and seriously injured! Knowledge is advanced through research and experimentation based on scientific principles.

In this case Ocram would have done better by asking the question in the forum before trying his experiment!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline hxmiesa  
#22 Posted : 11 March 2019 22:39:54(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Although some of you have thought it admirable that someone should try things at random to see if it works, as a person with scientific and engineering background I can tell you that that's not how things are invented or discovered. That is more how people are killed and seriously injured! Knowledge is advanced through research and experimentation based on scientific principles.

Are you talking about human flying machines or smoking toy trains now??? BigGrin

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Purellum  
#23 Posted : 11 March 2019 23:24:27(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In this case Ocram would have done better by asking the question in the forum before trying his experiment!

Who would know the answer?

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Rwill  
#24 Posted : 11 March 2019 23:49:00(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am totally puzzled by this thread. A simple search of this forum for "cigarette smoke" shows that the subject has as I thought come up at least twice before dating back a year or more and including being raised by my learned friend Ocram. It was muted as "an idea" and most seemed to think it had possibilities but OK no one admitted trying it but equally no one expressed a view on the possible hazards and consequences and questioned the sanity of the suggestion. Am I missing the point as normal?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 12 March 2019 00:12:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I am totally puzzled by this thread. A simple search of this forum for "cigarette smoke" shows that the subject has as I thought come up at least twice before dating back a year or more and including being raised by my learned friend Ocram. It was muted as "an idea" and most seemed to think it had possibilities but OK no one admitted trying it but equally no one expressed a view on the possible hazards and consequences and questioned the sanity of the suggestion. Am I missing the point as normal?

I don't recall e-cig fluid being suggested before (but then again I haven't searched the archive), but I do recall some discussion on the possibility of using the fluid that is used for smoke machines for stage use. I don't recall if anyone has actually tried this, but I have a source and want to try it at some stage.

I have also heard of someone trying valve oil as used for lubrication the valves on brass musical instruments. This is a very light oil and was apparently quite successful as a smoke oil.
Offline Minok  
#26 Posted : 12 March 2019 20:16:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Although some of you have thought it admirable that someone should try things at random to see if it works, as a person with scientific and engineering background I can tell you that that's not how things are invented or discovered.

And yet there is a strong case for experimentation and accidental discovery:

https://www.sciencealert...veries-changed-the-world
Microwave Oven, Prevention of Malaria, X-Rays, Velcro, Radioactivity, Artificial Sweetener, Heart Pacemaker, Penicillin, Insulin, Vulcanized Rubber, Super Glue (CA glue) and may more.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Minok  
#27 Posted : 12 March 2019 20:27:56(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I don't think we need to call each other names, but yes it was a silly thing to do!

Why is it silly? So far I'm only reading its "silly" by definition, because they "said so". No explanations on why one could logically conclude that it would be a foolish or silly thing to try on its face.

If you look on YouTube there are quite a few videos on using e-cig or vape fluid for generating smoke in model railroads. That by defintion indicates that the idea is not silly, but quite plausible and usable in certain conditions. Now whether it works as a drop in replacement into a Seuth loco smoke generator is another question... and one that is best answered by the very experiment that was undertaken.

(no scent or nicotine varieties also available)

And on Stummi they also tried at various times; its a natural experiment to any model railroader who had happened to switch to E-Cigs at some point and thought wait a minute....

The thread here, the experimenter found the viscosity of e-cig fluid was a bit too high so he thinned it with good old SR24 first... at a 2 vape liquid to 1 SR24 ratio.

So the experiment here may have failed just due to viscosity, or it could be the Stummi user's result was due to the SR24 vaporizing and the flavored vape fluid was just coincidentally going along on the ride.. One would have to experiment and carefully observe the level of smoke vapor to know.

https://www.stummiforum....ic.php?f=21&t=113852
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 12 March 2019 20:32:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Although some of you have thought it admirable that someone should try things at random to see if it works, as a person with scientific and engineering background I can tell you that that's not how things are invented or discovered.

Microwave Oven, Prevention of Malaria, X-Rays, Velcro, Radioactivity, Artificial Sweetener, Heart Pacemaker, Penicillin, Insulin, Vulcanized Rubber, Super Glue (CA glue) and may more.

None of these were discovered by mixing random liquids in a test tube!

Sometimes things are invented or discovered by unexpected results to an experiment for a different purpose, but there is always a scientific method being followed.

Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Webmaster  
#29 Posted : 12 March 2019 20:33:34(UTC)
Webmaster

You have to try unconventional stuff now and then, and learn from it - like Marco's smoke fluid test...

Did try myself to clean a greasy 3106 by dipping the chassis in alcohol - the result was red alcohol and fingertips as well as a pinkish chassis since the red paint dissolved... Lesson learnt... BigGrin

Without daring experiments we would not get new viable ideas and just rely on the old catalog numbers in our comfort zone... Cool
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline dickinsonj  
#30 Posted : 13 March 2019 03:09:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
This was definitely discussed before on the forum, in fact multiple times. The general consensus was that it would probably work and that it was an interesting idea.

Now someone tries it and shares a less than perfect outcome and he is an idiot. That seems uncharitable to me and outside the normal concept of an online forum, which is to share new and interesting ideas.

I would use isopropyl alcohol and clean the small tube with the wire provided and move along. I often regret the things that I was afraid to try more than those which failed.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dominator  
#31 Posted : 13 March 2019 03:13:58(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
What was it that Forrest Gump said [ something like stupid is ....... ].

Maybe we should have a Forresst Gump thread where we can have a laugh at the silly things we have done in the past. If we are brave enough to admit our cockups. Didnt Henry Ford say " A man who never made a mistake, never made anything ". He also said "History was bunk' so we can take that with a grain of salt as well.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline skeeterbuck  
#32 Posted : 13 March 2019 11:34:07(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I don't see how it was a silly experiment either. It's plausible that it could work but in this case it didn't. I've read here that some use Blue Juice valve oil that made for I think musical instrument use. I sure it was "discovered" by just giving it a go and seeing if it would work.

My only suggestion is that when you experiment with different "mixtures" that you use a spare smoke unit on your bench. That way if it doesn't work, you can easily clean it out and if for some reason you would ruin the unit, then you wouldn't have the hassle of having to replace it in the loco.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline RayF  
#33 Posted : 13 March 2019 14:04:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There's no shame in doing something silly. The cleverest people sometimes do the silliest things!

My only worry is that sometimes people experiment with substances that can be dangerous or can ruin something expensive, like a Marklin locomotive!

My advice would always be that if you are tempted to try something unusual it's best to either ask someone who might know or research it on the internet. As my lecturers used to say all those years ago, "Don't re-invent the wheel!"
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#34 Posted : 14 March 2019 12:00:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
There's no shame in doing something silly. The cleverest people sometimes do the silliest things!

My only worry is that sometimes people experiment with substances that can be dangerous or can ruin something expensive, like a Marklin locomotive!

My advice would always be that if you are tempted to try something unusual it's best to either ask someone who might know or research it on the internet. As my lecturers used to say all those years ago, "Don't re-invent the wheel!"

Agree with that. Also before posting on our site might be good to ensure what it is has been tried and found to be working and not in any way dangerous to locos or us.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Minok  
#35 Posted : 14 March 2019 19:33:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Sometimes things are invented or discovered by unexpected results to an experiment for a different purpose, but there is always a scientific method being followed.

He wasn't throwing random liquids into the smoke generator either. Its pretty basic scientific principle to do an experiment (with a substance known to smoke when heated, as that is its purpose for the most part), and observe he results.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline RayF  
#36 Posted : 14 March 2019 20:35:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

He wasn't throwing random liquids into the smoke generator either. Its pretty basic scientific principle to do an experiment (with a substance known to smoke when heated, as that is its purpose for the most part), and observe he results.

Virtually every substance will smoke when heated. Some substances require more heat than others.

However it is clear that my pleas for research and consultation before experimentation are not viewed sympathetically, so I will refrain from putting forward my opinion any further. I never meant to ridicule the OP for his 'mistake', and I have stated before that I accept that silly mistakes happen to anyone. Perhaps I am more 'risk-averse' than many others....

I won't follow this thread any more.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Purellum  
#37 Posted : 18 March 2019 20:02:57(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

A friend of mine just did a test, using eCig fluid in an ESU smoke generator, sitting in a 1-Gauge Nohab:

The best result comes when using pure VG ( Vegetable glycerin )

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline ocram63_uk  
#38 Posted : 23 March 2019 23:15:08(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I found isopropyl alcohol at one of the chemists in town. I also managed to buy a syringe with needle, although they weren't very keen to sell it to me as it is 'dangerouos'.

Anyway I washed the smoke generator with a few squirts of alcohol and filled it with Dapol smoke fluid. The loco smokes again although I think that the Dapol smoke fluid is too 'heavy'.

All is well that ends well
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk