Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 05:06:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I placed my order for the limited edition 6 coach NightJet set (Zurich-Vienna) MW1813.
I will be adding a CD WLABmz (also from LS Models) and MAV sleeper and coaches (ACME) to complete the Zurich-Budapest and Zurich-Prague sections of the consist.
The actual train:

The total consist would probably end up being 10 coaches in length, which I might be able to put together on the Teppichbahn (carpet), but the consist would have to be shorter for average layout use.

I have had the same issue with my earlier CNL and OBB EN consists. Which coaches can be skipped to make a consist fit a reasonable length.
On a positive note, those coaches that are skipped can be added to other coaches to assemble a NightJet or OBB EN consist from the transition period when not all the coaches had the new livery. I have a mix of OBB EN and an ex-DB sleeper that could be used for that period.

Obviously, if there are multiple coaches of the same type, you could omit one in the interest of reducing the overall length. My first thought would be that the seating coach would probably be the first one to get removed, followed by perhaps one of the couchette cars.

As I said, I can still enjoy the whole consist when running on the floor, but there just is not space enough when dealing with a normal layout.

What coaches would you omit in order for a consist to fit on your layout?

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 14 March 2019 20:51:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2019 13:59:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
What coaches would you omit in order for a consist to fit on your layout?

Reduce to the max, as proposed on the Nightjet website - see image?

:o)

train-illustration-nightjet.png

https://www.nightjet.com/en/
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2019 14:02:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Now seriously, this Czech website describes five Zurich-Vienna Nightjet consist variants in the 2017-2018 timeframe:

https://www.vagonweb.cz/...amp;rok=2018&lang=de

The varying composition of cars might serve as inspiration for answering your question.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2019 04:13:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The LSM set comes with 6 coaches, including a pair of double deck (ex-CNL) sleepers, one ex-CNL/DBNZ couchette, one ex-OBB RIC couchette, one OBB EC93 couchette and one OBB Bmz seating coach. The Budapest section includes a MAV sleeper, couchette and a seating coach. The Prague section includes one CD sleeper in the new blue-white livery.

Modelling the Zurich-Buchs section, the train includes the Vienna, Prague and Budapest sections. This is a total of 10 coaches, as can be seen in the video in the original post.
I have decided that the easiest coaches to omit are probably the seating coaches, leaving the sleeper and couchette coaches and reducing the total length to 8 coaches, which is still a little long for the average layout. The next probable coach for elimination would be one of the couchette coaches. Each of the NightJet couchette coaches is distinct. I considered eliminating the MAV one, but that would leave only a single MAV coach (the sleeper). This leaves one of the three NightJet couchette coaches as the choice. Either the ex-CNL ex-DB coach, the OBB RIC coach or the OBB EC93 coach will have to go. I just can't decide which one should be the one to go.

Regards

Mike C
Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:42:23(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
I will lease you track access rights on my layout Mike. Ten cars would be no problem. You just have to pretend the unscenicked plywood represents all the other run through countries than Switzerland. I will use the lease fees to purchase the Re456's you so kindly suggested I buy. Deal?

Regards,
Roger
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2019 20:24:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thanks to a little help from Jacques Vuyes, I now have the latest elements for my EN Wiener Walzer/NightJet 467. I managed to find a LSM 48152 set with two CD sleepers and a single CD Bcmz. The sleepers make up the Zurich-Salzburg-Prague segment of this train. From Zurich to Salzburg, a minimum of one Czech (CD) sleeper is attached to the end of the train.
For the moment, I have an initial consist made up of coaches as could be seen during the transition period following the takeover of CityNightLine and DB Nachtzug, as consists still included a mix of OBB and CNL stock, with some coaches having received new OBB markings, but were still in the original livery. I am waiting for a few OBB coaches in the new Nightjet livery to complete that consist.
Once I receive the recently announced LSM/MW1813 set, I will have a complete consist of Nightjet, MAV and CD material in the current liveries.

I guess that at some point, I will have to update the MAV models to their new livery too.
I am trying to set up for some photos of the consist.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2019 05:29:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike, I don't know why you bother, just send all the coaches to me and they fit nicely on my layout and I can produce x amount of videos to your liking's, just tell me which loco has to be provided and I'm sure I'll find the correct one.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109