Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2019 23:54:15(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I use a separate power pact to power the auxilliary items. So, I would use these wires from the auxillary loop wires to connect to the M84 (B/O connection). I am unsure how to wire the 72804 lamp post. These lamp posts would be turned on/off as the train enters/leaves the station and are to be activated by a sensor.

My understanding of page 14 (English of the M84 manual is that I want to have a power source feed one of the four M84 connections and then have the other wire go the lamp post. Given that I want to use the auxillary power pack to power the M84 and the lamp post, I think I want to use the same wires feeding the B/O (in particular the red wire) to power the lamp post and the brown wire (would be the return. The B/O connection would just open/close the circuit when activated by the sensor. Is this correct?

Hopefully, this drawing explains my question.

M84 - lamp.jpg

Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2019 02:03:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Your schematic as drawn will work.

Comments.
* While it is possible (and historically quite normal) to use the (effective B/0) trackpower to power lamps, it is recommended that a you head towards providing the lamps with their own (clean - non-digital) power.
- Aside from draining power from the digital circuitry, your eyes may detect the flicker

* for the relay contacts it is generally better to feed the power into the centre contact of the three
- This will allow for you to switch 2 ouputs (the red and green) separately

* for your scenario (platform lights) you might consider using the m83 and your choice of functions.
- e.g. the strip of LEDs under a platform awning may mostly just turn on/off, however one or two might show off the florescent tube lickering as you turn them on.

* when using either the m83 or m84 for lights, I recommend that the units themselves have an external power supply (aka #MAR6636*)
- as drawn, the lights will turn off any time controller is in STOP (e.g. a track short)
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2019 02:40:27(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter,

Thanks again.

Just to clarify, the M84 is powered by my auxilliary power pack, not the passenger or freight power packs. The aux power runs the switches and signals. Per my drawing, the aux power supply will feed the B/O contacts on the M84 and also feed one of the four M84 connections.

In this section of my layout, I have two stations, at different levels (like high town and low town) and two separate platforms. I want to turn lights on/off when a train arrives/leaves each separately. I assumed I would need to use 2 of the 4 M84 connections. Is it possible to use green for one set of lights and red for the other set of lights? I don't follow the manual that well, nor the digital news letter.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2019 02:56:44(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Yes I understood the B/0 to come from a Booster(e.g #60175 or similar) with its own power supply (e.g #60101 or similar)
If that is not the case , please elaborate.

This source is able to provided BOTH power and commands. However if the Controller is in STOP then nothing is provided and all decoders and devices turn off
Very annoying

Therefore
- separate power supply to the m84 is desirable (6636x) - to keep it awake even if no commands are being sent
AND
- separate power supply for the lights/devices - to prevent flicker from the commands superimposed on the B/0 bus
(Noting : for the m83, the power for the ports comes from the m83 power supply itself and the 2nd PS is not needed)
Peter