Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kamstutz  
#51 Posted : 08 March 2019 21:46:49(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
A quick Friday "Wiki" update:

• The new embedded eBay global search is now open for use by non-registered users of the Model Railroad Collector Wiki
    Originally the search feature was only open to those users that are registered. While I hope that those collectors in the forum register and have a look at the project, the Wiki Worldwide eBay search feature is now available to anyone and is useful to find that item you are looking for regardless of where (which country) the item is listed for auction. After all - we are worldwide collectors anyway...LOL Instructions on usage are posted in the previous Update #7 inside this thread or on the Wiki's What's New page here -> MRC Wiki What's New

• Collectors of Maerklin analog locomotives rejoice - Thanks to contributions from many Wiki users the Wiki Directory now has ALL 3000 series locomotives and ALL of their versions entered into the public database. This is not a milestone to be lightly considered as there are more than 500 individual entries in this category - All entries contain, at a minimum, a thumbnail image, to visually identify the locomotive. What this means is that the collector only need search for the locomotive and click to add to their collection. No data entry is required to get these locomotives into your collection - just point and shoot and you add these to your collection(s) in seconds instead of minutes. Additionally most all entries have detailed versioning descriptions to help identify which version item (Koll's) you have. The English translations from German are not always 100% accurate, but thanks to online translators Unsure they are usually sufficient enough to version your item. Digital collectors don't despair either as the collection of registered digital locomotives continues to grow. Little by little we'll fill in the missing items with the continued help of crowd-sourcing the Wiki's model train Directory.

• Maerklin 4400 series freight wagons - Thanks to contributions from California and across the pond in the UK, the number of registered freight wagons has grown with almost 100 new items added to the Directory. These include a number of Beer and Container wagons. If you are a collector of these type items then have a look and see what has newly been added to the database. New additions are always shown on the Wiki homepage

Happy Collecting !

Kurt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline JWO  
#52 Posted : 11 April 2019 17:06:24(UTC)
JWO

Netherlands   
Hi Kurt, I tried to enter my own collection to the wiki. But something strange is going on. I have a collection, it says it has 12 items in it, but when I selected it and press the view button there is a message that there are no results. I didn't tick the selection boxes to hide sold items and so on. Maybe it is a bug in the system?

Johan
Offline kamstutz  
#53 Posted : 11 April 2019 17:12:59(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Originally Posted by: JWO Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kurt, I tried to enter my own collection to the wiki. But something strange is going on. I have a collection, it says it has 12 items in it, but when I selected it and press the view button there is a message that there are no results. I didn't tick the selection boxes to hide sold items and so on. Maybe it is a bug in the system?

Johan

Hello Johan - I'll bet that you have a filter set on the collection items - either in the search box or on a column - and no items in your collection fall into that filter. To resolve please try this:

In the collection Main menu button bar try clicking on the "Reset filter(s)" button. This will remove any search terms and/or column filters you may have added previously and you should see all of the items in your collection. If that doesn't work then I can help you with the issue offline via email. I'll send you a short message by email.

Thanks for trying the Wiki.

Kurt
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline White Buffalo  
#54 Posted : 11 April 2019 18:02:36(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
I had a similar problem Jonah. It was an easy fix once I was shown what to do. After I reset the filters, I could see the whole collection again.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline JWO  
#55 Posted : 12 April 2019 08:32:10(UTC)
JWO

Netherlands   
Kurt, thank you for the message. It was indeed the sticky entry in the search field. Once you're used to it it works perfect :-)

In the near future i will look into the description of how to add items. I'm missing a few so i would like to help to complete these items. Very nice database system you put together!

Johan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JWO
Offline kamstutz  
#56 Posted : 28 April 2019 01:18:40(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Model Railroad Collector Wiki - Update #8 - April 27, 2019
============================================================
Several updates to report on the latest progress for the Model Railroad Collector Wiki project. Big performance improvements and updated eBay searches highlight this month's updates.

A few highlights of recent changes include:

• Calendars - It was brought to my attention that the calendar date pickers (used in personal collections for setting the "ordered on", "acquisition" and "sold" dates) had some anomalies especially with the international (German) version. All date pickers in the Wiki have been upgraded.

• Date rendering in Directory and Collections - The formatting of dates in the Directory and Collection lists were not always consistent, nor correct - especially when viewed with the German version of the Wiki. Renderings now correctly reflect the English or German localization of date formatting.

• Checkbox columns indicating if item is "In Collection ?" or "In Want List ?" - Now adding an item from the Directory to one of your Collections or Want List immediately updates these columns thus allowing a quick check if you have an item already in one of your collections or have flagged it as "Wanted".

• Performance tweaks - Extensive reworking was done to the common processes of adding new records to the Wiki Directory and to User Collections as well as editing these same lists. Adding or updating records is now significantly quicker even when using slower internet connections.

• Price History list - The Price History list (used to record the date and price items sell for) now supports entering dates and displaying them correctly in both the English and German versions of the Wiki. Previously there were issues choosing and rendering the dates.

• User Collections - Moving items from one collection to another - Bug fix to correctly allow easily moving an item from a Want List to another collection or vice versa.

• Multiple column sorting - Now clicking on a column header in either the Directory or a Collection will intelligently sort on multiple columns. It is now possible to do custom sorting on multiple columns simply by sorting on one column as usual (by clicking the column header title) and then holding down the SHIFT key and clicking on another column header with your mouse.

• Adding New Directory items - Smart defaults - Prior to adding a new item to the Directory many users have discovered that preselecting a similar item, opening it for editing, and then immediately closing the edit form, will save those details and then PREPOPULATE the form fields with that item when creating a new entry in the Directory. This not only saves a considerable amount of effort when entering details for the new item (only change the fields that are different), it also ensures consistency when creating the same items with different versions. The update in the April release prepopulates the Railway company and prototype class from the previously selected item.

• EBay Global search improvements - 1 - Custom search keywords You may now enter your own keywords for a custom eBay seach. The text box will prepopulate with the manufacturer name and article number that was selected when opening up a new eBay search, but you may change the keyword text to anything you like. The eBay search syntax is quite powerful for those users that understand the formation of search keywords and operators. It is not possible to go into detail of how this works in this forum post, but if you would like more information you can visit eBay for a technical summary of search syntax. https://developer.ebay.c...PIGuide.html#usekeywords . The important take-away is that the Wiki eBay search can now accomodate ANY custom search in the "eBay Search Keywords" textbox

• EBay Global search improvements - 2 - Select if eBay search is related to Model Railroads or not While most of your eBay searches will be related to trains, the Wiki eBay search functionality has a configuration checkbox which allows a user to search for an item on eBay that is NOT related to the Model Railroad hobby - just uncheck the checkbox next to the text "Search is related to model railroads ?". Depending on the type of search you wish to do checking or unchecking this checkbox will produce more relevant results.

eBaySearchPopUp.jpg

• EBay Global search improvements - 3 - Remove duplicates The global eBay search functionality which allows a user to search for an item in all countries (previously announced) now has a feature that tries to remove duplicate items from the same seller's auction in different countries. To make this feature work registered users may now sort the list of countries according to their needs by clicking on "Preferences" in the main menu and then select "EBAY SEARCH". A new list will appear with all countries. You may then drag and drop the country names from highest to lowest priority. The settings only need to be configured once and the settings are persisted. In the event that the eBay seller posts an item to more that one country - only the country at the top of the priority list will be shown and the others will be removed. Make sure to check the checkbox "Remove duplicates from results ?" to experiment with this new feature.

WikiEbayCountryPrefernces.jpg

Special thanks

• Although many users have contributed several items to the public database of (mostly) Marklin trains, the MRC Wiki would like to thank collector Nic B., who single-handedly entered more than 350 items in the Wiki Directory in late March and early April covering most if not all Maerklin items from the 1980's. This is a significant milestone as it means that all collectors that own any items from this decade can easily add them to their collections in a matter of seconds WITHOUT having to register new items. If you have any items from this period or desire any for your Wish Lists then have a look (thank Nic for all his work.)

Closing Notes

Thanks again to all those collectors that have contributed to the public database. Each entry makes it that much easier for those starting out. If you have not registered why not register and give a try at managing your own collection. ? You might be surprised at how easy it is to do.

Happy collecting ThumpUp

Model Railroad Collector Wiki website - https://www.modelrailroadcollector.wiki/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline White Buffalo  
#57 Posted : 21 May 2019 06:43:03(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! Happy birthday Kurt and thanks again for all the hard work and long hours you put into the Wiki. It's a great product that I can not thank you enough for letting us share it.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Rich
Offline kamstutz  
#58 Posted : 24 August 2019 04:17:50(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Model Railroad Collector Wiki - What's New - Update #9 - August 2019
========================================================================================
Item Maintenance - New functionality has been added to convert the collection Maintenance list from a simple list of completed maintenance tasks on a locomotive or car in a personal collection to a full blown Task List that includes TO DO tasks as well as already completed ones. To access this new functionality start by selecting an item to which you wish to attach a task. Click on the row of the item desired to enable the "Item Maintenance" button (identified with an icon of a "wrench"). See image below for location of the button.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance.jpg

Next click on the "Item Maintenance" button and a new table will open. You will see a list of previously attached tasks OR an empty table if no task have previously been created for the item. If you have existing tasks then you will notice the "Status" checkbox in the first column of the table. An unchecked box indicates that the task is in TO DO status and a checked box indicates that the task has been completed. See image below for a visual explanation.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance2.jpg

To add a new task start by clicking on the "NEW" button. A simple form containing 4 fields will open.

1. Service Type - The first field, called "Service Type" is a dropdown list. If this is the first time your are using the Maintenance List then the Service Type dropdown list will be empty. To add new items select the dropdown option called "<< Not in list - add new >>". Selecting this option will pop up a small window which will allow you to create/add your own Service Task type. Enter the name in the text field and click "Save" to register your new custom type or "Cancel" to return to the Service Log form. See example below.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance2-5-ServiceTypeOptions.jpg

It is not uncommon to have many different custom service types. Below are some suggestions. Feel free to copy some of these or create your own.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance3-ServiceTypeOptions.jpg

2. Service Date - Use the calendar selector to select the date that the task was completed or, in the case of a TO DO task, the date by which you want to perform the task.

3. Notes - Use this field to enter any supplemental information that you need related to the task.

4. Status - Select either "Completed" or "To Do" from the dropdown list to indicate if the task has been complete or is scheduled for some time in the future. In this manner you may schedule future necessary service on a needy locomotive - perhaps, for example, to indicate that you need to add or replace a decoder, or change the tires or brushes. See below:

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance4-StatusOptions.jpg

Task List - To complement this new task status functionality a collection menu feature has been added called "Task List". The Task List summarizes in list form all of the completed tasks within a collection as well as all of the TO DO tasks. The Task List can be filtered by Completed or To Do items, sorted by date or type of task or service to perform, and, like all other lists in the Wiki, may be printed out for reference on your workbench. To access the Task List first make sure that no item is selected (highlighted) in your collection list. The new "Task List" menu button appears in the button bar as shown in the image below.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance5-TaskListMenuItem.jpg

Click on the "Task List" button and you will be presented with a list containing ALL of your tasks, both completed and TO DO for the selected collection. Once the list is displayed you may filter (using the Search box), sort (click on a column header), Edit (click on a row and then click the Edit button) or Print the Task List. TIP: When a TO DO task is completed simply edit the task record - change the Status dropdown to "Completed" and update the Service date to the actual date that the task was completed.

MRCWiki-2019-08-ItemMaintenance6-TaskList.jpg

=======================================

If you haven't seen the Model Railroad Collector Wiki project in action then have a look and if you are interested in contributing to the public database and/or managing your own collection(s) then register and explore the Wiki features. The entire project is community driven. All questions and or comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Happy Collecting ! BigGrin ThumpUp

Kurt

kamstutz Offline

https://www.modelrailroadcollector.wiki