Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2019 21:12:13(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am new and just got an M84 which I would like to wire to a 24997 uncoupler. The wiring description with the manual is confusing. Can anyone provide a simpler wiring diagram?
Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2019 22:34:55(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I think you want an M83 to control and 24997 uncoupler. The yellow wire goes to the centre screw of one of the outputs, the blue wire goes to either the red or green terminal depending which one you want to use to actuate the uncoupler. You can conceivably control eight uncouplers with a single M83.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2019 17:28:25(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
I think you want an M83 to control and 24997 uncoupler. The yellow wire goes to the centre screw of one of the outputs, the blue wire goes to either the red or green terminal depending which one you want to use to actuate the uncoupler. You can conceivably control eight uncouplers with a single M83.

Cheers,

Harold.

Thanks for the reply. I think the M84 is the latest version but does the same. I connected as per your instruction and the M84 is working with something happening at the four outputs but nothing happens at the 24997. In the layout I designated the 24997 as location 13 and the output it is connected to activates properly but that is as far as it gets. Is there any way to check to see if the 24997 solenoid is receiving a signal?
Offline klarinettmeister  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2019 18:35:10(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
The M84 is just a switch and I wouldn't want to use that for a 24997 as you'd likely burn out the coil to fast.

If you still insist you want to use the M84 you must first connect the brown wire to your power source and the yellow wire from 24997 to an output you want to use. Then you have to connect a yellow cable from the power source to the input of the selected output. They are coupled 3 and 3 on each side. This way will totally waste the use of a expensive M84 as you can only use 4 of 24997.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2019 21:14:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I am new and just got an M84 which I would like to wire to a 24997 uncoupler. The wiring description with the manual is confusing. Can anyone provide a simpler wiring diagram?

The M84 is a decoder for switching articles with a continuous pulse, like a light switching on/off.
The M83 is a decoder for switching articles with a current pulse, like switing turnouts or uncoupler.

Pooh hopefully I explained it in an understandable English. Märklin published a few articles about these 2 decoders. But they are for download only in German available, although they were once published in the Märklin Magazine in English. Probabely the Märklin book art# 03092 helps too.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

This book is even for thus useful who does not have a CS 3, because it describes all digital appliances Märklin offers.
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2019 22:53:39(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

UserPostedImage

16V AC may be provided by a standard Marklin transformer (Brown and Yellow)
12-16V AC may be provided by a standard Marklin Transforment (Brown and Red - using the thottle to vary)

Some people do not like the the noise of the vibration caused by AC and go for a DC source.
I believe the AC is better as it offers that vibration to give the coupling an extra nudge.

You may set the m84 up for On/Off mode (normally operation as 4 pairs)
or you may set it up for 8 port mode and either set the individual port for on/off mode or configure it for a pulse of fixed length.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 16 February 2019 16:10:37(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Thanks that was exactly the solution. I was mislead by the track diagram into thinking that it operated like a remote switch rather than just a simple relay. Damn noisy though but works. When you say it can be set for fixed length do you mean the time it is on? That would be good as I understand you can burn out the solenoid if it is on too long. I will look at the location on the CS3 and see if the time delay applies to that.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2019 05:10:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks that was exactly the solution. I was mislead by the track diagram into thinking that it operated like a remote switch rather than just a simple relay. Damn noisy though but works. When you say it can be set for fixed length do you mean the time it is on? That would be good as I understand you can burn out the solenoid if it is on too long. I will look at the location on the CS3 and see if the time delay applies to that.

For the m 83 is an accessory Set availbale for programming the speed of the turnout moves.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60821/

But it is only for the m 83 decoders (60831/60832).
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 17 February 2019 09:41:42(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
When you say it can be set for fixed length do you mean the time it is on?

By default the m84 ports are set to to work in pairs.
e.g. red - turning on the red and turning off the green and vice-versa

You may configure the ports to work individually and then with certain characteristics.
to do this you would first write "0" to the two CVs
(you only need to choose the pair you are working with and can leave the others in their normal modes)
- CV's 136/137 for port 1 Red/Grn

Then you have an option for using the single button (e.g 1 Red) to toggle on and off each time you press the button.
Or, more usefully for uncoupling, set it to pulse

For pulsing 1-Red you would set CV112 to a value of 1.

Now you can control the duration of the pulse by the definition of the item on your CS. The time is in milliseconds and the default is 200.
If you set the duration to 5000 then this means pulse for 5 seconds.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott