Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gungri84  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2019 11:31:16(UTC)
gungri84

Norway   
Hi all

I'm new here on this forum, and also relatively new to MRR. Hopefully someone here can help me with this (dumb?) question:
I’ve got the 74923 crossing with flashing red lights and gates coming down, whenever a train is on the track section (24997). Been trying to connect this 24997 track section also to my L88 (60883) in parallel, but this doesn’t work very well. The gates stay down permanently then, with no train on the track section.
Is there any way to work around this? I want my CS3 to indicate when a train is on the «crossing section», just like it does for any other 24997 track section being occupied.

Thanks! BigGrin

Best Regards
Gunnar, Stavanger
Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2019 13:03:49(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Boys the only L88 I like is the Chevy big block 427 cube L88 motor .Now thats going to take your mind off any digital trouble you might be having. Eddie Cool Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline gungri84  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2019 14:53:42(UTC)
gungri84

Norway   
Duh... Obviously the correct number for the contact tracks should be 24995, not 24997 as I first wrote Flapper
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2019 17:50:24(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Gunnar,

It seems like the crossing is being grounded through the L88 as you had it set up. Therefore the crossing closes without a train being there.

Did you hook up the L88 sensing wire to the same side a the grey wire from the crossing?

I don't have this crossing, so I'm just making a guess from what I see in the online manual.

Hope you get it to work the way you want!

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline gungri84  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2019 19:14:24(UTC)
gungri84

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Gunnar,

It seems like the crossing is being grounded through the L88 as you had it set up. Therefore the crossing closes without a train being there.

Did you hook up the L88 sensing wire to the same side a the grey wire from the crossing?

I don't have this crossing, so I'm just making a guess from what I see in the online manual.

Hope you get it to work the way you want!

Cheers,

Harold.

You're right; the L88 sensing wire is connected to the same rail as the crossings grey sense wire.
So yeah; the crossing sense wire must be grounded through the L88. Seems strange to me that Marklin didn't think of this scenario and added some kind of "signal out" from the crossing.. Or maybe there is an easy way to achieve this, connecting to the electronics underneath? Would be great if someone has a schematic or other info on the 74923, other than what's in the (very "thin") manual. I'll try to do some measurements with my multimeter later.
Tried to move the crossings brown wire together with the grey one, so that the crossing is ground-powered through the sense rail. But that didn't help..
Maybe there's some way to add diodes or something on the signals, to work around this?
Or maybe there's some way to use my M83 or M84 to make this work?

Thanks Harry BigGrin
Offline French_Fabrice  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2019 20:58:34(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello Gunnar,

I'm sorry, but I don't have the answer.

Just a few checks to recommend:
-Does the crossings run well, with both 24995 connected, and without the L88 ? Start here. If it doesn't run OK, then something is wrong, so don't go further
-Please check you didn't invert brown and red wires
-Is there a possibility to inspect the electronics inside ? just to see if a wire is badly soldered or touch another one ?
-Also check the configuration of your L88. It must be configured for "feedback", not for "matrix"

People using C tracks may have better advice.

Good luck
Fabrice
Offline Crazy Harry  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2019 03:14:07(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Gunnar,

I'm sure you already did this, but make sure you have the little indicator on the contact tracks on the same side.

I have an old M track 7192 crossing that works in a similar way. On the weekend I'll try to do the same as you are attempting and will report back.

Harold.
Offline PeFu  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2019 07:55:45(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
If it all worked before connecting the L88, I would not carry on trying to solve the issue. Instead:

(1) Disconnect the L88.

(2) Create a new contact track next to the 24995.

(3) Connect the L88 to the new contact track.

This is a ”how-to”:

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Crazy Harry  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2019 20:45:55(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Gunnar:

I did a test with my old M-track 7192 crossing, CS3 and L88. Here are the results:

1. No sensor wire connected from contact track isolated rail to L88. Crossing gates close normally when wagon pushed into contact area.
2. No road pieces connected, but sensor wire to L88 connected. Contact area shows occupied on CS3 only when wagon pushed into contact area.
3. Both road piece (I only used one side) and sensor wire connected. Contact area shows occupied on CS3 at all times! Gate only comes down when wagon pushed into contact area.

I am getting a slightly different result than you are. The solenoids in the 7192 are powered by a separate transformer in my case (0 (brown) and L (yellow) connections, 16VAC). I believe your crossing 74923 use track power (0 (brown) and B (red) connections) to power the gate solenoids. This may explain the different behaviour.

All in all, it is still not what you are after! Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas that may help you. Hopefully someone else will make a useful suggestion.

Harold.

Offline Crazy Harry  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2019 15:16:30(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Gunnar,

Maybe this Marklin Digital Newsletter will help you:

Marklin Digital Newsletter Sept-Oct_Vol 30 No 5 2018.pdf (1,032kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

Other Digital Newsletters can be found in this thread:

Marklin Digital Newsletter Thread

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline gungri84  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2019 07:20:10(UTC)
gungri84

Norway   
Hi all
Sorry for late reply, been busy lately. Thanks for all your help so far BigGrin That digital newsletter was very interesting HarryThumpUp
Just to clear up:
- The brown and red from my CS3 are correctly connected to track, outside of crossing section area.
- The 24995 contact tracks and also crossing track piece all have the arrows on correct side.
- The L88 is set to "single mode", as by default.
- The crossing and L88 signals both work perfect separately, just not together..
And yes Harry, I believe your crossing acts a bit differently due to separate power supply.

And of course I could leave out having feedback to my CS3 from this section, but I was planning to make a block based "event", splitting up (most of) the main line into S88-zones. So this is really annoying :/ No fun in just giving up on this, right?

I've done some tests, but no luck so far. Yesterday I made a BIG MISTAKE and accidentally shorted two points on the 74923 circuit board with my multimeter pins Cursing So that's f&@!?d up.. Yay. Have to get a new one, I have no intentions of giving up yet. Some of us just have to learn the hard way, I guess Laugh
Good news is the L88 seems to have survived, inputs still work fine.

Another question; can anyone tell me the difference between 74923 and 74924? Same thing, new wrap, or..? Which one to get :)

BR, Gunnar