Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 57vert  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:41:35(UTC)
57vert

United States   
I'm so proud, my first Marklin layout! It's ok to laugh. Just got a delivery today and HAD to see a train going around the track!

IMG_1714.JPG
thanks 29 users liked this useful post by 57vert
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:46:25(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
No laughing, congratulations! How did you come by your enthusiasm for Marklin?

Regards,
Roger
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:51:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: 57vert Go to Quoted Post
I'm so proud, my first Marklin layout! It's ok to laugh. Just got a delivery today and HAD to see a train going around the track!

I'm not laughing at you either, it was a circle of track just like that which my father used to run locos when he serviced them for the local distributor when I was a small lad that got me into Marklin.

Running something like an ST800 at full speed on a 16VA transformer could be enough to make it fall off the track with the centrifugal force ... Laugh Blink Blushing (well it wasn't my loco so it didn't matter) RollEyes OhMyGod Unsure
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:58:32(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I like it too.
There is nothing wrong with a simple layout.
I have a small Trix test oval and have lots of fun with it.

Marco
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2019 00:24:18(UTC)
TEEWolf

IMG_1714.JPG

No laugh about your layout. Well done.
But your techniques in photography needs an improvement. They give me a stiff neck, while I always have to turn my head by 90° to look at it.Laugh

One question: where is the siding track?
Offline 57vert  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2019 00:50:23(UTC)
57vert

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
No laughing, congratulations! How did you come by your enthusiasm for Marklin?

Regards,
Roger

Ok, I should probably put this in the new member area and introduce myself, maybe I'll cut and paste it there too. But my wife is the real driving force behind our new hobby. It's nice to find something we are both interested in. My wife in her late teens (mid 1960's) spent a Summer in Europe and road the trains everywhere. Then with her first husband (I'm the lucky second) lived in Germany for eight years and fell in love with Germany and again, the trains. So she's always loved the trains and looks back fondly on the travels she took on them. So she has always wanted a train set with a European theme.

Now that our children are out of the house, we have a little extra time and a LITTLE disposable income. On the TV we saw an ad for the Amherst Train Show in Massachusetts and she said she wanted to go. I tried putting her off but she would have nothing to do with that. We live in Connecticut just 45 minutes from where the show was being held. So a couple weekends ago we went to the show. We went to European Train Enthusiasts booth and spent 90% of the time we had there pestering everyone with stupid newbie questions, we had zero knowledge of trains. Everyone was SOOOOOO friendly and helpful, I quite frankly was shocked. Several people took time for us but especially Alex Leonard who answered endless questions about trains, Marklin, and the wonderful multi-level layout he was displaying.

With her desire for a European theme Marklin was the obvious choice.

So, the hobby shops in the area have either very limited or no Marklin stock so I started scouring Ebay and bought a couple lots of locomotives, cars, track etc. so we would have the hardware for when I get the layout designed.

So now I'm at the layout design stage....

Thanks for asking.

thanks 14 users liked this useful post by 57vert
Offline 57vert  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2019 00:55:01(UTC)
57vert

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Umm, did you miss it? It's right there laying in the center of the circle! Haha.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 57vert
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2019 23:03:33(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Great start in style, congratulations! The Schienenbus is a true classic, nice that you gave it the first chance to run.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2019 23:34:22(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I can only say welcome to the club.
You came upon my old accomplices from ETE, and you couldn't have been luckier.
Now that you have the bug, the only cure will be to build up layout and rolling stock collection.
Lucky also your wife is with it all: she ain't gonna make you feel guilty everytime you're happy with a new piece!Laugh Wink
Enjoy
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2019 02:39:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

Umm, did you miss it? It's right there laying in the center of the circle! Haha.

No I didn't Smile, but I am wondering as you get elctricity to the engines. I myself have still plenty of M-tracks and analogue locos form my teenager time in the 60ties. I have never seen a curved M-track power supply.BigGrin

Meanwhile I am very happy changing to a digital railyway with the C-tracks. I really have problems to fix M-tracks together, the connecting pieces are to small for my eyes now, whereas the C-tracks I put together blind. Nevertheless I use M-tracks for my side yard for train storages and connect this yard with Märklins transition track C to M track (art# 24951) and I am very happy with it.

Do you want to go digital too or stay at analogue mode?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2019 10:49:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
No I didn't Smile, but I am wondering as you get elctricity to the engines. I myself have still plenty of M-tracks and analogue locos form my teenager time in the 60ties. I have never seen a curved M-track power supply.BigGrin

They do exist, my Dad had one too for his circular test track.

Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2019 11:21:17(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Congratulations! Have fun with Marklin trains.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline 57vert  
#13 Posted : 10 February 2019 16:35:54(UTC)
57vert

United States   

Meanwhile I am very happy changing to a digital railyway with the C-tracks. I really have problems to fix M-tracks together, the connecting pieces are to small for my eyes now, whereas the C-tracks I put together blind. Nevertheless I use M-tracks for my side yard for train storages and connect this yard with Märklins transition track C to M track (art# 24951) and I am very happy with it.

Do you want to go digital too or stay at analogue mode?

I want to stay analog and use M track. Just like that old metal vintage look. It harkens back to a time of quality that is lost today, at least I think.

Offline 57vert  
#14 Posted : 10 February 2019 16:37:44(UTC)
57vert

United States   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
I can only say welcome to the club.
You came upon my old accomplices from ETE, and you couldn't have been luckier.
Now that you have the bug, the only cure will be to build up layout and rolling stock collection.
Lucky also your wife is with it all: she ain't gonna make you feel guilty everytime you're happy with a new piece!Laugh Wink
Enjoy
Jacques

Haha, been there done that with other hobbies. The old, "Nah, that's not a new locomotive, you must have just not noticed it."

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 57vert
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 10 February 2019 16:43:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well done for coming back to marklin. I would suggest C track however with the advantages it has over M track. Depends on how big your layout will be But C track givers better running and saves on wiring. Have fun and enjoy.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#16 Posted : 10 February 2019 18:47:39(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I have never seen a curved M-track power supply.

TEEWolf,

M track curved with feeder wires is/was part number 5103 (30 degrees of arc, 360mm radius, similar to 5100).

Harold.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline artfull dodger  
#17 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:10:53(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
No need to laugh, I am doing the same thing. I lack nearly enough track for my HO layout, but I HAD to see my Langer Heinrich train running, so a small loop of C track was set up! No layout is to small! A running train is what matters! Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline skeeterbuck  
#18 Posted : 11 February 2019 12:42:46(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
If you added four straight sections (2 on each side) that would be my first Märklin layout from my starter set. Happy collecting and operating!

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline rbw993  
#19 Posted : 11 February 2019 19:36:51(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Glad you enjoyed meeting the ETE group at the Amherst show. I am a member but didn't make it to the show until Sunday at around noon. Did you sign up? Some of the meetings are in Connecticut. If you are ever on your way to Cape Cod let me know.

Regards,
Roger
Offline 57vert  
#20 Posted : 11 February 2019 20:44:47(UTC)
57vert

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Glad you enjoyed meeting the ETE group at the Amherst show. I am a member but didn't make it to the show until Sunday at around noon. Did you sign up? Some of the meetings are in Connecticut. If you are ever on your way to Cape Cod let me know.

Regards,
Roger

Hi Roger,

We may have been ships passing in the night Sunday afternoon, that is when we were at the show. We did not sign up, we weren't sure how deep we were going to get into the train hobby.