Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#51 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:11:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
So what happened to Tommy?

Who?

UserPostedImage

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Purellum  
#52 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:50:40(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
So what happened to Tommy?

I think he's still busy watching videos and clicking on links................... LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline PMPeter  
#53 Posted : 06 February 2019 16:17:00(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I can only assume that based on Tommy's original post and level of frustration, this thread has pushed him to sell everything after the overwhelming amount of information and digression contained herein.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline tommysus  
#54 Posted : 06 February 2019 17:00:20(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
No I’m still here. I took a breather and am back in 100%
So..........Someone tell me if I’m on the right path converting this bad boy to digital???C7E78AA5-C6C3-4F43-81AC-9D48C4DA9AA8.jpeg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by tommysus
Offline tommysus  
#55 Posted : 06 February 2019 17:02:11(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
Also what the hell is this??? Bought it on eBay and no idea what it does2B2042B2-BDF8-4764-A71F-FBE37CC9BA1B.jpeg
Offline hxmiesa  
#56 Posted : 06 February 2019 17:07:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: tommysus Go to Quoted Post
Also what the hell is this??? Bought it on eBay and no idea what it does2B2042B2-BDF8-4764-A71F-FBE37CC9BA1B.jpeg

That´s a switch-motor for a C-track switch (point). WITH a decoder for digital use.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline hxmiesa  
#57 Posted : 06 February 2019 17:09:23(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
So..........Someone tell me if I’m on the right path converting this bad boy to digital???C7E78AA5-C6C3-4F43-81AC-9D48C4DA9AA8.jpeg

We would need to see the box that it came in, -or at least know its brand and reference number.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline tommysus  
#58 Posted : 06 February 2019 18:07:05(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
Does this help?

Also, I appreciate the response about the Switch Motor but I have no idea what it does.....can not find an explanation anywhere.
Offline tommysus  
#59 Posted : 06 February 2019 18:11:45(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
Oops here is the picture IMG_0498.JPG
Offline amartinezv  
#60 Posted : 06 February 2019 18:27:26(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

The kit used to digitalice this loco 3333 should be 60941.

Have you fixed yet your problems with the first equipment that you bought it?

I get the impression that you're trying to run without knowing how to walk.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline tommysus  
#61 Posted : 06 February 2019 19:37:19(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
I guess your right. But my last experience was with a set
of Lionel O gauge. Plug and play. Who knew it was so complicated!
Offline TEEWolf  
#62 Posted : 06 February 2019 20:20:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Welcome back!

Sorry, "someone" is wrong, this is not a bad boy. It is a good toy!
Offline tommysus  
#63 Posted : 06 February 2019 20:22:40(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
So ALL I need is the 60941? Do I still need the
60942???
Offline David Dewar  
#64 Posted : 06 February 2019 20:28:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Can only say again get a Marklin catalogue and the Marklin book (the newish one) and that way you will know what items are and what they do. Also don't buy anything if you don't know what it is. IF you are not aware what controls turnouts etc I would not consider converting anything to digital until you can run the current digital locos etc.
Tommy if you don't take things slowly and master each stage you are doomed to failure.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline cookee_nz  
#65 Posted : 06 February 2019 20:38:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Does this help?

Also, I appreciate the response about the Switch Motor but I have no idea what it does.....can not find an explanation anywhere.

Hi Tommy, I have to ask... Why did you buy it if you have no idea what it is or does? The auction description should have told you that, or did it come with some other item/s?

"Switch" aka Turnout or Point. Or diverting from one track to another. Lionel call them a Switch also I believe.

You either reach over "hand of God" style and switch the track to divert the train, or you do it remotely. The Motor is required to operate the turnout remotely.

Without the decoder you would wire it to a pair of buttons to set branch or straight aspect.

With the Decoder added, you can then operate or control it digitally with each equipped turnout having it's own address.

Hope this helps

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline TEEWolf  
#66 Posted : 06 February 2019 20:55:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Oops here is the picture IMG_0498.JPG

Hello Tommy,

well sorry, I think you mix up plenty of different things. The most important point of all is to define the article number Märklin has given to every of its article. This is the one and only way for a necessary technical identification of the article itself. This you may tell us here all first, please.

The picture in your post #59 demonstrate it very good. The picture shows a box with article #3333. On this box the number BB 20 011 is seen too.

Your manual is for the article numbers 3325/3625. There is a different. Märklin is offering explosive drawings for its models. See e.g. this one

https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=3625&lang=1
http://maerklin-sammler-...iven/03325/03325_mlb.htm

This drawing is for the models 3325, 3326, 3625, which is the loco BB 7200 from SNCF.

https://www.lokmuseum.de...ive&Seite=4&SID=

But you have the SNCF loco BB 20 011 with the article # 3333 from Märklin

https://www.lokmuseum.de...NCF&Seite=4&SID=
http://www.maerklin-samm...iven/03333/03333_mlb.htm

Already the colour is different. But you have to know the exact technical equipment of a loco, before you are able to change it from analogue to digital.

Before plenty of some oldies here grumble again (although a lot of more explanation has to be given to you), I stop with the question:

Why do you want to change an analogue loco to digital (this shows your pictures in post #54), if you did not say yet your BRANCH LINE start-up set (article # 29245 - is this the correct number???) is fully running without problems? Does it?

Edited by user 07 February 2019 00:26:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TEEWolf  
#67 Posted : 06 February 2019 21:34:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

So ALL I need is the 60941? Do I still need the
60942???

Well Tommy,

sorry that is what @amartinezv in its post #60 means. You are running before to know how to walk.

You need both,

because the #60941

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60941/

is the needed adaption (conversion) of the motor for a loco to run digital.

The article #60942 is the decoder itself understanding the digital signal.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60942/

To change an analogue loco to a digital useable one, mostly you have to change its motor first and then to build in a decoder. The decoder has to understand the signals sent by the digital controller to your loco (where the loco decoder is built in).

This decoder signal can also vary. These signals are called track format and these are named by the abbriviations MM, MM2 (=fx), mfx and DCC. Then you have multidecoders (they understand 2 or more track formats) or single decoders (understanding only 1 track format). The track format you shall concentrate on is the mfx track format. This will be best for you, because most convenient and is Märklins best format, because it is a feedback or dual way format. This means not only a digital signal is sent from the controller to the loco. It also says that a digital signal is sent from the loco to the digital controller. At the end the loco is able to communicate with the digital controller.

Oh, sorry a long text agian. Hopefully these old grumblers here can read it.LOL

Best Regards

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#68 Posted : 06 February 2019 21:37:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Can only say again get a Marklin catalogue and the Marklin book (the newish one) and that way you will know what items are and what they do. Also don't buy anything if you don't know what it is. IF you are not aware what controls turnouts etc I would not consider converting anything to digital until you can run the current digital locos etc.
Tommy if you don't take things slowly and master each stage you are doomed to failure.

Exactly, he is running before to knwo how to walk, as @amartinezv defined it.
Offline Purellum  
#69 Posted : 06 February 2019 22:03:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
The picture in your post #59 demonstrate it very good. The picture shows a box with article #3333. On this box the number BB 20 011 is seen too.

Your manual is for the article numbers 3325/3325. There is a different. Märklin is offering explosive drawings for its models. See e.g. this one

Already the colour is different. But you have to know the exact technical equipment of a loco, before you are able to change it from analogue to digital.

This is the manual that originally came with that loco.

No matter how many words, links or videos you post, the decoder conversion doesn't care which color the loco has. LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline amartinezv  
#70 Posted : 07 February 2019 02:55:17(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello

The kit used to digitalice this loco 3333 should be 60941.

Best regards

Hello

I'm sorry my previous response was incomplete.
Yes, you need the two kits to digitize the locomotive, the 60941 are the parts to change in the motor, and the 60942 the decoder itself.

I don't understand what seems so complicated. Märklin has always been the clearest and simplest system, now certain actions with CS or MS can be somewhat more complex, but the initial connections and the start up of an initiation box are direct. You just have to go step by step.

Best regards

Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline PMPeter  
#71 Posted : 07 February 2019 04:50:05(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
As others have stated you probably need to step back and start slowly by "walking before you run". In one of your original messages you said you bought the Branchline Starter set. What was included in that set? Was there a locomotive included and which controller? If that set was complete with a digital locomotive and a digital controller then I would suggest you get that working first before you consider converting one of your 2 analog locomotives to digital.

I was reintroduced to Maerklin and the digital world in 2013 and started off with a couple of inexpensive digital locos to get a train running and learn about the digital capabilities. I have yet to convert any of my old 1970s analog versions, because I know it will require patience and steady hands. So for now I concentrate on getting my layout complete, the controls all working, and then I will embark on conversions when I am not frustrated.

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline David Dewar  
#72 Posted : 07 February 2019 12:45:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
As others have stated you probably need to step back and start slowly by "walking before you run". In one of your original messages you said you bought the Branchline Starter set. What was included in that set? Was there a locomotive included and which controller? If that set was complete with a digital locomotive and a digital controller then I would suggest you get that working first before you consider converting one of your 2 analog locomotives to digital.

I was reintroduced to Maerklin and the digital world in 2013 and started off with a couple of inexpensive digital locos to get a train running and learn about the digital capabilities. I have yet to convert any of my old 1970s analog versions, because I know it will require patience and steady hands. So for now I concentrate on getting my layout complete, the controls all working, and then I will embark on conversions when I am not frustrated.

Peter

Exactly right Peter. Plus as I have said get the Marklin book and catalogue. While the book gives information on various controllers
some of which you will not need to read it does list all the equipment and what it does. Just run a train and when happy with what it can do try a turnout and fit a turnout motor and decoder. Buy them new with full instructions.

In the future Tommy will be an expert but it does take time.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline PeFu  
#73 Posted : 08 February 2019 07:43:02(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   

Here’s a clip showing how and what:

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Hics  
#74 Posted : 11 February 2019 16:04:17(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
This is how to convert a loco.

After just those two clips you will become an expert in converting.
Unfortunatelly it may become to this:
https://www.marklin-user...at-did-I-get-myself-into
Soo good luck.
Offline dickinsonj  
#75 Posted : 12 February 2019 03:35:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
This is how to convert a loco.
So good luck.

Good videos, which cover pretty much everything that you need to know to do digital conversions.

This is how I spent part of my afternoon today, doing what was shown in the second video to my old Class 103. Tomorrow I get my first experience using the decoder programmer to provision and configure my new mSD/3 decoder.

I did follow Märklin's recommendation to desolder the AUX wires and returns, which I had thought about keeping. But if/when I get around to adding any new features to this loco I can always solder them back on again.

I do recommend using the returns for the lights rather than the grounds to the chassis if present in your loco. If you use the chassis for the ground it will cause flickering lights, as I learned the hard way in previous conversions.

A fun project and it gives you a loco which will have the features and performance of some of the latest and greatest from the Märklin mothership. Cool

Enjoy! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj