Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tommysus  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2019 21:19:39(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
I'm 66 and THOUGHT model Railroading was a great choice.
Invested in Marklin HO and am ready to throw the entire pile of stuff in the trash.

Instructions are totally unreadable and no help at all......the local dealer is Ok but I cant be driving there (30 minutes each way)when I have a problem.

Is there a READABLE and USABLE book I can buy???? If not Im done.

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommysus
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2019 22:26:43(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us what items did you buy?
Startsets with MS2? Do you have a CS3/CS3+? What locomotives do you have?

Regards

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2019 23:32:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi.More information as to what you have and what you don't understand will allow help to get you going.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2019 00:27:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'll concur with the others - without knowing WHAT YOU HAVE there isn't much we can do. I've read the english instructions that came with my bits and the are OK for me, but then I'm an engineer and thus don't know how a layman would respond to whats written.

There is a book on the Märklin digital system and its parts and how they all work - if you are going digital: Märklin 03092 - http://ajckids.com/marklin-03092
If your doing things analog, others will have to help.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Elsleuth1  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2019 02:38:48(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
Books are good but finding someone who runs Marklin trains is even better. If you have a local hobby shop maybe they can steer you toward someone who can walk you through the process. Once things start running it is great fun.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2019 02:57:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi Tommy, welcome to the forum. Like others have said, we'll need to know specifically what items you have, and what frustrations you are facing.

I will take an educated guess it's one, or a combination of the following thre...

1: the laying of track, and getting them to join up correctly
2: or perhaps the electrical wiring
3: or the control of the trains

Any one of these can give you grief, two or more and it's just a nightmare.

Model railroading can and will be a hugely satisfying hobby, but there will be a bit of time investment at the start, and a learning curve which will be dependant on your existing knowledge, capabilities, and resources.

We're here to help and there is knowledge and experience here you will be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

If you share your location a little more specifically, you may find there's another member nearby willing to help, or possibly a model railway club/group able to assist.

Sadly, many 2-rail modellers are instantly dismissive of Märklin as being a 'toy' but that is simply a reflection of poor knowledge, possibly their own narrow-mindedness and/or lack of imagination.

Regards
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 02 February 2019 03:07:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Welcome to the forum Tommy, I thought your house was on fire when I read the headlines., I'm 74 and need help all the time but over the years I have managed to claw my way through life and I'm trying hard to understand instructions and other useful information.

You're not the only one who gets frustrated when things don't work out and my wife can't understand why I'm still in the this hobby with all the swearing she hears every day.

Some of us like to go the moon but we don't know how, so we have to learn all the technical stuff to be able to understand what's what and the same applies to digital model trains, unfortunately to help you in any way we have to start from scratch .
Tell us a bit about yourself and what magic trick you used to get into model trains in the first place. We would like you to help us with the exact same information you are asking us: give us some guidance with particular names, numbers and may be even pictures so we can get an overall view of your problem.
Don't throw your Märklin stuff in the bin, in some countries this is a capital punishment.

hope to her from you soon

John

Cookee wrote: Sadly, many 2-rail modellers are instantly dismissive of Märklin as being a 'toy' but that is simply a reflection of poor knowledge, possibly their own narrow-mindedness and/or lack of imagination. : this is why I'm still at it after 50 years LOL
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 02 February 2019 03:41:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: tommysus Go to Quoted Post
I'm 66 and THOUGHT model Railroading was a great choice.
Invested in Marklin HO and am ready to throw the entire pile of stuff in the trash.

Instructions are totally unreadable and no help at all......the local dealer is Ok but I cant be driving there (30 minutes each way)when I have a problem.

Is there a READABLE and USABLE book I can buy???? If not Im done.

Thanks

Welcome to the community.

Yes there is a book and even in English.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03092/

For further questions after getting the book (it is mainly concentrated on the new digital controller CS 3) please come back to the forum.

P.S.: Ahhh - and before you go to your trash box, step by at your post office first and send me all your "trash". It is too bad to throw away.BigGrin Smile Wink
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline tommysus  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2019 14:16:46(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
I am very encouraged by the kind and helpful responses. I started with the BranchLine starter set.......As I calm down, I guess it's the "digital" element that is so frustrating. I mistakenly bought 2 Locomotives.....not realizing they were 'non digital'. My frustration is with all the data Marklin seems to have, why is there no universal reference to specific items needed to convert to digital.....I dont mind trying to do the conversion but it appears the ONLY way to determine what elements are needed (including couplers) is to take the whole thing apart........and then......what???? I really feel it's silly having to depend on someone looking at the pictures of the corpse and telling me what I need! Now my BR-24 is not recognized by the controller!!!! Having to make a third trip to my dealer so he can tell me whats up.
Been buying track and now have a 96 sq. foot layout with NO RUNNING trains. I get the impression that the digital upgrade is an excuse to make me buy only new stuff.....which stinks.
any help is appreciated.
Offline PhredD  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2019 14:50:43(UTC)
PhredD

United States   
Hi Tommy, welcome. With the item number from the starter set and the model numbers of your locomotives we can figure out what you might need. John has done LOTS of conversions, as I've been following on the forum over the years, and I finally went ahead and have started converting my analog loks to digital, so I've gone through that discovery process. I'm just an hour and half up the road from you - would be happy to talk direct if you'd like - I'll send a PM with contact info.
Cheers,
Fred
PhredD
Burke, VA USA
Offline GlennM  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:48:58(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I am very encouraged by the kind and helpful responses. I started with the BranchLine starter set.......As I calm down, I guess it's the "digital" element that is so frustrating. I mistakenly bought 2 Locomotives.....not realizing they were 'non digital'. My frustration is with all the data Marklin seems to have, why is there no universal reference to specific items needed to convert to digital.....I dont mind trying to do the conversion but it appears the ONLY way to determine what elements are needed (including couplers) is to take the whole thing apart........and then......what???? I really feel it's silly having to depend on someone looking at the pictures of the corpse and telling me what I need! Now my BR-24 is not recognized by the controller!!!! Having to make a third trip to my dealer so he can tell me whats up.
Been buying track and now have a 96 sq. foot layout with NO RUNNING trains. I get the impression that the digital upgrade is an excuse to make me buy only new stuff.....which stinks.
any help is appreciated.

Tommy,

I would suggest that the first action is to take a deep breath and calm down, on first appearance it would appear that none of your problems are insurmountable, even if you have mistakenly purchased two incorrect locos.

The second action would be to list what you have this would be the starter set number, the details of any digital controller you have purchased, and the Marklin numbers of the two locos that you believe are not digital.

The third action would be to explain what you would like to achieve, such as a simple digital conversion with a low cost decoder, or high end conversion, do you want sound capability? You will also need to explain the 'coupler' issue as I am confused there, are you looking to add Telex couplings?

To be honest it is always very helpful if you can open up the loco and take a clear photograph of what is there, the reason for this, is that many owners like to tinker and modify their locos inside, and so before advising on what actions you need to undertake it is helpful to see if the loco insides are as they left the factory.

With this information the Forum members will be able to offer a lot of practical advice.

There is a lot of information available on the Marklin system and on digital conversions, from Marklin, independent sources, and especially in this Forum. It is more than likely that someone has already converted the locos you are trying to convert and they can offer hands on experience.

As for your statement " I really feel it's silly having to depend on someone looking at the pictures of the corpse and telling me what I need, we all have to learn and start somewhere, and I am sure many Forum members started by asking questions. The only other alternative is to experiment and if you get it wrong you will blow the decoders and more than likely your control system which will cost you a lot more money.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:59:03(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tommy, I've been converting older type locos now for over 30 years and you don't have to tell me, every year a new item comes out and the previous is more or less obsolete.
you find a lot of information about converting locos on this forum, if money i not a problem I would suggest go for the 5 pole highefficiency motor, it gives you excellent running characteristics at low speed. getting parts is a different story, if you buy parts In America you will find they are lot dearer than buying them on ebay.de, most of them have Payal and most of them send stuff overseas.
the whole issue about a digital system isn't simple, there are several different companies who deal with command stations and Märklin does produce cheaper introductory Mobile stations but you don't have full access like Central station, in the end it depends how many locos you're likely to have or buy and setting up a layout you would need signals, turnouts which are electrical operated.

my suggestion is always quote the loco number (catalogue number) and give as as much information you can tell us. I would say fix up your current locos first so you can run them on your layout, and to deliver these information you have to sometimes open up the loco and see what's inside so we know as well. if you don't know how to take a loco apart again tell us the catalogue number and we will guide you in the right direction

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2019 16:09:32(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- we are here to help. A few notes:

- I think the branchline set is already digital, so no conversion work is necessary there?
- If you are good with a (fine point!) soldering gun, conversions are not that scary. And when combined with older analogue ebay locomotive purchases they make for a very cost-effective way to add locomotives. (~$100 "all-in" vs $300-500 new). Might I suggest having the first one converted by a pro (about $50 in labor, $35-50 in parts), then you have something to look at as you study the schematics and attemp the second one yourself .
- But that being said, if you are new I'd label that step two. Start by exploring the mobile station and reading all you can to familiarize yourself while you run trains.
- lastly, if digital still isn't your thing- you don't need it! They all run on analogue just fine. It is a lot more wiring, but if computers/digital aren't your thing it could be more satisfying that way.

We are here to help...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 02 February 2019 16:30:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Welcome to the forum - you have definitely come to the right place for answers to your questions. ThumpUp

There is a lot to learn about digital model railroading and I agree that it can be a bit overwhelming at first. What you have gotten yourself into is a complex and wonderful world that takes time to fully appreciate and understand. That is both a plus and minus but take your time and just enjoy the process. I know that is easier once you have something running, but that will come with a little patience.

My first suggestion is to post individual questions on specific problems here on the forum. You will be amazed at the depth of knowledge and the willingness to help that you will find here.

At first digital conversion can seem intimidating, but it is just a series of logical steps and taking one thing at a time. But it is a tough task to start with if you have not had much previous experience. I like the suggestion of having one loco done professionally because having an example to work from is a big help to me. But the suggestion about using analog operation at first is also very good, because it lets you deal with the nuts and bolts of Märklin trains without getting overwhelmed by the complications of digital. Once you become accustomed to digital MRR operations though the possibilities are amazing and you can just add new skill slowly as you encounter them.

Poor documentation is simply a fact of life with Märklin products unfortunately and something that you learn to overcome eventually. There are some books such as the one Wolfgang suggests which provides a good overview on digital control using Märklin products. But because Märklin's documentation is so sparse, asking individual questions or searching this forum is a great resource.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline tommysus  
#15 Posted : 02 February 2019 19:36:41(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
........So, is it possible to run a non-digital LOCO on my digital setup????????
Offline artfull dodger  
#16 Posted : 02 February 2019 19:49:07(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Other way around Tommy, you can run digital on non digital. But once you learn the digital side, it's much more fun. Especially sound equipped engines. I just converted an older loco to digital with a kit that Marklin sells. If you are blessed with a somewhat local shop, maybe the shop keeper can connect you to someone local that has a digital layout to help you learn the ropes of the digital world of Marklin. Good luck and dont give up. You can do it. I am and I am autistic and get easily confused by complex issues. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 02 February 2019 19:51:57(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

...So, is it possible to run a non-digital LOCO on my digital setup????????

The very short answer is "No", and basically, nothing more can be said about it.

Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Other way around Tommy, you can run digital on non digital.

Yes; but I don't think we should advise Tommy to go that way.

And just for Tommy, what was meant here was: "Other way around Tommy, you can run digital locomotives on a non digital layout."

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#18 Posted : 02 February 2019 19:52:20(UTC)
Webmaster

Not really - an older conventional/"analog AC" Märklin loco would run around at full speed only... Locos from other manufacturers would probably not run at all since they have DC motors.

You know, it would really help if we had the model makes and article numbers (or even photos) of your loco purchases - that way we could easily help you to identify possible problems... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline TEEWolf  
#19 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:05:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

any help is appreciated.

Hello Tommy,

all right, you bought the "Branch Line" starter set 120 Volts, Maerklin article #29245?

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/29245/

Several points: this starter set seems to be sold in the USA only. We in Europe know nothing about this one, because we always have in Europe 230 Volts. This always keep in mind please.

Good news: your starter set is digital nothing is analogue. But this means: no conversion for nothing has to be done.

If you scroll down on Märklin's website - at the link I added above - you come to the section features. As one feature you see the loco has a digitally fx decoder. At the moment do not bother please about, “what is a fx decoder”? Sooner or later we at marklin-users.net explain it to you, which decoder by which names and functions are used in the digital MRR world. First get your loco running.

Indeed Märklin is sometimes confusing and it starts with its name Märklin already. There in the English language you do not have this “ä” (a with “umlaut”) just write for this “ä” in English “ae”. It has the same meaning as the “ä” or “Ä”, even in the German language. No need to worry about the name and Märklin's confusions. One confusion is, not showing at the picture which components contains your starter set, what they normally do. For example see here

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/starter-sets/

But in the description in the Maerklin database for your BranchLine starter set stands, it must be a complete one. This means, not only a digital loco and wagons, you got tracks, track box, digital controller MS 2 and the finally a manual.

https://static.maerklin....d151bb1ec61434541815.pdf

which tells a beginner almost nothing. Especially not how to start. Sorry for this. So here I list some more links for you finding more information how to start. But the manual provides you with one very important information for a digital MRR: the digital address, which is for your loco "78" (see 3. Functions at the manual - even you see this manual has no explanations in German inside, because it is a special set for the USA). Do not forget this 78. I will come back to this digital address later. The digital adress is like your very and only personal name. If you do not know this address, your loco will never run on a digital layout.

https://www.maerklin.de/...t-up/tips-for-beginners/

https://www.maerklin.de/...uestions-about-h0-gauge/

https://www.maerklin.de/...quently-asked-questions/

or here for relaxing in between training videos to see as nicely a MRR is. But some shown tips in the videos are already more for advanced railroaders, less for brand new starter.

Yes, I understand why you are true frustrated. Nevertheless you did the right decision: joining this community and we all together will help you to have fun with your MRR. You read already offers for a lot of help by other members. But it needs time to get all this information in one line. Do not get desperate, sooner or later you will be there. This was and is my own experience when I started with my own digital MRR about 5 years ago.

Now get started:

https://static.maerklin....57ac95a9a31493730041.pdf

https://static.maerklin....306cd58fa91515411591.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60657

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60653

I listed here the MS 2 60653 and MS 2 60657 parallel, because probably you got a grey MS 2, the actual is a black one. Do not care about it, both are technically identical. Only the outside colour is different. The same is at the digital connector box, very often just named as trackbox. (art #60113 or in black #60116)

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60116

The manual shows how to connect MS 2 via trackbox

https://static.maerklin....84d7a763581537192298.pdf

First put the tracks together. Here are a few track plans for an idea.

https://www.maerklin.de/...C3%A4nzungspackungen.pdf

connect them to the trackbox and the trackbox to the MS 2.

Sorry plenty of information. So I do a break here. First have a look and read through all these PDF-files. In my next post I will write about how to get your loco programmed into a MS 2, which has to be done first, before running it on your just built new C-track BranchLine layout.

Best regards

TEEWolf

P.S.: ... and of course I do not want you, sending me your starter set. But I also do not want, you throw it into the trash box. I do want to get it running, so you can play with it.Cool Smile

P.P.S.: I am this Wolfgang mentioned by @dickinsonj - my avatar is TEEWolf. And yes, about the book I will write later about it. Above are plenty of information at the moment.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:18:25(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Sorry plenty of information.

Yes, a bit too much IMHO BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:22:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Sorry plenty of information.

Yes, a bit too much IMHO BigGrin

Per.

Cool

Yes and not yet finished and has to be still edited. But I think it is better as the trash box!Flapper Laugh
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:27:03(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But I think it is better as the trash box!

Sure, and I understand that you're trying to help; but sometimes a short answer is better help. Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Thewolf  
#23 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:28:47(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Above are plenty of information at the moment.

Thank you for all these informations WolfgangCool

directly into my database...I had forgotten a lot of things...excellent for memory

Serge
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 02 February 2019 20:38:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cool

Sure, and I understand that you're trying to help; but sometimes a short answer is better help. Cool

Per.

Cool

Normally, but not if the alternative of a layout is the trash box. We have to start at the real and only basics. And still the registering of a loco with a fx decoder at a MS 2 is still outstanding. If you do not know it, your loco will never run and then again: trash box. Do want this?Cool
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 02 February 2019 21:08:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cool

Per.

Cool

Hello Per,

perhaps you can help me. This BR 24 (fx decoder) is part of a starter set. As you know, Märklin does not offer a seperate manual for this loco in the starter set. Do you know which loco will be similar from Märklin's databse to this BR 24? So you can achieve a manual for this loco?

Thanks and regards

TEEWolf

Offline Purellum  
#26 Posted : 02 February 2019 21:45:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello Per,

perhaps you can help me. This BR 24 (fx decoder) is part of a starter set. As you know, Märklin does not offer a seperate manual for this loco in the starter set. Do you know which loco will be similar from Märklin's databse to this BR 24? So you can achieve a manual for this loco?

I expect the manuals for 36240 or 36241 to be the correct ones.

They at least tell you which CVs that can be changed; but I really don't see why you want to confuse Tommy,
giving him a lot of information he shouldn't need.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#27 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:11:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
No Idea what this starter set is however if Tommy can get a MFX loco then I presume it will register and start running. Digital is the way to go and conversions can be done at a later date. Get the basics right and then build from there. Keep it simple to start and the rest will come in time.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:13:28(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
all right, you bought the "Branch Line" starter set 120 Volts, Maerklin article #29245?

Several points: this starter set seems to be sold in the USA only. We in Europe know nothing about this one, because we always have in Europe 230 Volts.

This starter set was sold in Europe and NZ (and probably everywhere else with 230v mains supply) as item number 29240

The manual for the loco can be found here and the manual for the setup is here.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Purellum  
#29 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:16:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The manual for the set can be found here.

Which is ( almost ) the same manual as in the TEEWolf bible BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#30 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:18:33(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Digital is the way to go and conversions can be done at a later date.Get the basics right and then build from there.Keep it simple to start and the rest will come in time.

True.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:19:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Which is the same manual as in the TEEWolf bible BigGrin

Yes, but I was going cross eyed Woot reading so many words on my screen, that I must have missed that.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Purellum  
#32 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:30:13(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Yes, but I was going cross eyed Woot reading so many words on my screen

Ohh, so you didn't click on the 13 links or watched the 2 videos Confused LOL LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:50:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cool

Ohh, so you didn't click on the 13 links or watched the 2 videos Confused LOL LOL

Per.

Cool

Was that how many it was, I found the page down button useful ... BigGrin
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 02 February 2019 22:58:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cool

Per.

Cool

A you have not yet done too!Laugh But these videos are really not sophisitcated enough for such "oldies" as you are.BigGrin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 02 February 2019 23:02:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Now my BR-24 is not recognized by the controller!!!! Having to make a third trip to my dealer so he can tell me whats up.

Coming back to Tommys original problem, have you now got to a point where your Br24 loco running?

If the set you have is the 29245 that was linked to previously, the set is listed as being supplied with a card that has the loco details on it. This can be put in a slot in the ms2 controller to transfer these details to the controller to get this loco operational again.

Refer to the manual for the control unit on how to do this. Depending on just what caused the loco to go non-operational you may need to reset the loco. Again refer to the control unit manual for the details on how to do this.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#36 Posted : 03 February 2019 03:13:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Only some of them. Bad of me, I know.
Offline Mark_1602  
#37 Posted : 03 February 2019 08:01:59(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
As I calm down, I guess it's the "digital" element that is so frustrating. I mistakenly bought 2 Locomotives.....not realizing they were 'non digital'. [...] I get the impression that the digital upgrade is an excuse to make me buy only new stuff.....which stinks.
any help is appreciated.

Hi Tommy,

I have a few questions for you:

- Do you feel at ease in the digital world? Do you like computers, software, apps, cell phones, decoders, programming and all of that stuff? If you don't, you might consider going analog. Why not?

- How much are you planning to spend on this hobby? Analog is much cheaper than digital. You can buy a nice-looking second-hand loco for under 100 dollars as long as it's not a collector's item. Locos from the late 1970s, 1980s or early 1990s are the cheapest.

- Do you want sound locos? Is full sound important to you? If it is, digital is better for you.

- Would you like to build a large layout? There's a lot of wiring to do on an analog layout as every signal or point has to be connected to a control panel (3 electric cables for each item!), and on a large one you might have so many trains that you need a computer program to run them anyway, so you might as well go digital in that case.

Best regards,

Mark

P.S. No matter what you decide for yourself, make sure that you get some fun out of this hobby. It should be relaxing, not stressful.

Edited by user 03 February 2019 12:05:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline tommysus  
#38 Posted : 03 February 2019 13:28:38(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
Thanks again for all the help!!!! Good point about relaxing......I had to give up golf because I would get so worked up and crazy while "relaxing".
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tommysus
Offline TEEWolf  
#39 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:25:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks again for all the help!!!! Good point about relaxing......I had to give up golf because I would get so worked up and crazy while "relaxing".

But then your start with a digital railway from Märklin is a very good start for a new hobby. Like for anything else, you need some time for learning and experiences for understanding. But digital is a thousands time more fun than an analogue one.

One example: for an analogue railway you need for every loco an own transformer. You only can control one loco on one track line. At a digital railroad take the MS 2 controller and control 10 locos on one track line at the same time. (Honestly, I cannot do it. Trying it, I got crazy by all these running locos. I always had crashes because of my small layoutCool BigGrin - but I tried itLaugh).

For running and controlling your built up layout with your MS 2, I can do it very short. Refer to @kiwiAlans post #35, please. Indeed, just stick your little plastic card into the slot at the MS 2 and run your loco. This loco card registers your loco at the MS 2, which had to be done before running a loco digitally. Later on you may do it by yourself manually.
Offline tommysus  
#40 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:02:26(UTC)
tommysus

United States   
Funny thing is I feel like when I tried to show my
80 year old father how to program his VCR. !
Offline Mark_1602  
#41 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:22:28(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
But digital is a thousands time more fun than an analogue one.

I guess it's fun for you, but lots of people would disagree. They'd say something like: "If everything on the layout is programmed and controlled by computers, where's the fun?"

I'd say: "The numerous warranty cases I've had since the insolvency were not fun at all, and the problems that digital users report on this and other MRR forums don't sound like fun either."

It's all a matter of personal preference. Right now I enjoy collecting and servicing near-mint old analogue locos because I don't have the time to build a layout anyway. Maybe I will build a digital one in future, but I haven't decided yet. For other people, the fun consists in buying hundreds of (new or old) locos that they either use or keep in a cupboard. I don't want to spend that much money on model trains because I have a family with small kids, but I know a collector who can't stop buying: it must be entertaining for him.

Digital and analog are two valid options.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline dickinsonj  
#42 Posted : 04 February 2019 01:15:22(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post

I guess it's fun for you, but lots of people would disagree. They'd say something like: "If everything on the layout is programmed and controlled by computers, where's the fun?"

Best regards,

Mark

I agree that they are both valid options, but Tommy has a digital starter set so I would say he should just stick with that and work his way toward being able to convert the analog locos he bought.

My interface to my layout is digital and hence computerized, but I mostly do all of the control myself, because I agree that watching a computer run my trains is not much fun. With digital you can control things in nearly the same fashion as analog but you also have a lot more options. Running digital allows you to control multiple locos on one track or you can go crazy and let your PC do the driving - the range of choices is quite large.

I do like the options that digital gives you and I have had surprisingly few issues with the digital control of locos and accessories, although they definitely cost more. One size does not fit all needs and I am glad that analog is still an option for those who prefer it.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline TEEWolf  
#43 Posted : 04 February 2019 01:28:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

But digital is a thousands time more fun than an analogue one.

Indeed, my fun is learning by doing.

I'd say: "The numerous warranty cases I've had since the insolvency were not fun at all, and the problems that digital users report on this and other MRR forums don't sound like fun either."

Indeed, I read this quite often in different communities - not only here at marklin-users.net. I do not have so many warranty problems. But I have to confess, I am sitting hours try to get an answer to my question, why this article is not functioning. And yes sometimes I write a mail to Märklin service to clear it up. For me it is a part of the hobby. Probably not for everybody and less for collectors.

It's all a matter of personal preference. Right now I enjoy collecting and servicing near-mint old analogue locos because I don't have the time to build a layout anyway. Maybe I will build a digital one in future, but I haven't decided yet. For other people, the fun consists in buying hundreds of (new or old) locos that they either use or keep in a cupboard. I don't want to spend that much money on model trains because I have a family with small kids, but I know a collector who can't stop buying: it must be entertaining for him.

Best regards,

Mark

Oh, I still have a complete layout in M-tracks with some anlogue locos too - about 60 years old. If you want, you can service all my analogue locos and at the same time I built you up a digital layout.BigGrin

At the moment a part of my M-tracks are used for my storage station. The analogue locos sometimes I drive at my MIST meetings. Some don't fit because they are too fast for the layout, but the smaller ones ar running high speed around the cricle without any problems. I have to confess, they were running after over 40 years in the box and without no service, unbelievable. Well indeed I do not know, if a digital loco will do that too.

But myself I see me not as a collector but more as a gamer. And yes, Märklin has now achieved prices, which urges me heavily to reduce any buying too. Gives room for more playing. I do not have a fixed layout, so I always can do new layouts on the table or floor and this gives me fun.

Best Regards

Wolfgang
Offline hxmiesa  
#44 Posted : 04 February 2019 14:17:42(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

One example: for an analogue railway you need for every loco an own transformer. You only can control one loco on one track line. At a digital railroad take the MS 2 controller and control 10 locos on one track line at the same time.

Sorry for being off-topic, but I really want to stress that "analogue running" has nothing to do with such a simple approach that you are mentioning.
It ALSO has to do with electrical mechanisms and electronics.
Although I _DO_ use a computer-backed control, my layout runs around 40 trains electro-mechanically and in analogue.

But "yes"; Personally I only run ONE single loco manually. (a TELEX-equipped switching engine)

Sorry. Back on topic! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Mark_1602  
#45 Posted : 04 February 2019 21:57:48(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
I have to confess, they were running after over 40 years in the box and without no service, unbelievable. Well indeed I do not know, if a digital loco will do that too.

Why didn't you clean them once? It's learning by doing, and they'll run much better after that. Old locos were much sturdier and even suitable for children. Nearly all of the stuff Märklin produces now is officially recommended for teenagers over 14, but that's exactly the age at which they lose interest in model trains. I guess the MRR industry didn't have a choice with the low birth rates in Germany. To survive, it needs a never-ending supply of new items purchased by an aging customer base.

Digital gives you more options, choices and a much bigger variety in the models you can use on your layout, but product quality has been erratic at best for the last ten years or so. My warranty cases were not connected to how these products are used, but they were simply defects: scratches on brand new locos or freight cars, locos that didn't run well, defective decoders and/or motors, a broken screw thread on a new tooling Nohab, defective wheel sets on container cars, etc.

The question in this thread was what a newcomer should do. I'd say he should get some information before he goes on a shopping spree, try to read a few books about Märklin, buy some copies of the Märklin magazine and use the model trains he has to get some more experience. It does not matter a lot whether people opt for digital or analog, but they have to feel at ease and face the challenges. It's not a hobby for nervous or impatient people.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline dominator  
#46 Posted : 04 February 2019 23:11:47(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Tommy, the instructions I got with my first MS2 were crap I couldn't get my head around but with help from Angus and a few others I got to learn what was going on.
My layout has the ability to run on either analogue or digital. Part still runs on analogue and part on digital.

Maybe get yourself an analogue transformer, so you can at least play while you are learning. Make sure , that if some is still digital, that you isolate the circuits properly, including rockers at the isolated junctions between different circuits. I made rockers by gluing match sticks between the sleepers at the junctions. [ I run M track thought but very similar to C track with respect to rockers ]

Have fun. I am in my 61st year of Marklin ownership. Have owned digital locos for up to 20 years, but have only run a digital control for the last 4 years or so. big slow learning curve. Love it.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline dominator  
#47 Posted : 04 February 2019 23:30:46(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Careful guys, I cant see where Tommy has actually told us what he has. He mentioned a BR24. But what is it. Apply the KISS principle.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline dickinsonj  
#48 Posted : 05 February 2019 00:44:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Digital gives you more options, choices and a much bigger variety in the models you can use on your layout, but product quality has been erratic at best for the last ten years or so. My warranty cases were not connected to how these products are used, but they were simply defects: scratches on brand new locos or freight cars, locos that didn't run well, defective decoders and/or motors, a broken screw thread on a new tooling Nohab, defective wheel sets on container cars, etc.

That is what I have seen as well Mark. Some of my models from the last ten years have still been perfect but you certainly can't count on that as you once could. I have had enough problems to make me wary about new models now, particularly the expensive locos. I could accept the higher prices more happily if I thought that ensured better quality but so far that has not always been the case.

It is also true that we still don't know exactly what Tommy is running and are reacting to the speculations that we have made. Providing Märklin item numbers for the things that you have Tommy would allow us all to make better recommendations on how to best proceed.

I do think that we can all remember reading Märklin's documentation though, scratching our heads and wondering just exactly what they meant. Complex central station operations and signals come readily to mind. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline TEEWolf  
#49 Posted : 06 February 2019 02:18:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Careful guys, I cant see where Tommy has actually told us what he has. He mentioned a BR24. But what is it. Apply the KISS principle.
Dereck

Hello Dereck,

Tommy wrote he bought a starter set "Branch Line". In Märklin's database I found this one:

and it has a nice BR 24 steamer too.Smile

Best Regards

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline rbw993  
#50 Posted : 06 February 2019 03:28:45(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
So what happened to Tommy?
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rbw993