Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2018 02:02:30(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Wishing Marklin would do a special car for Autism Awareness/Acceptance. Many on the spectrum, be it child or adult are drawn to trains and many are model railroaders. I myself am on the spectrum being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome several years ago. A whole train could be done over time covering the various subsets of Autism, Aspergers, PDD-NOS ect. I would take anything in HO or gauge 1. I have done a couple custom G scale items for myself using LGB European 2 axle passenger coach and a complete Kalamazoo USA style passenger train. I always get lots of comments when I run them at shows or open houses. Marklin has done many other special cars and locomotives such as the Unicef ones ect. With the rates of Autism on the rise, maybe if M does it on a model, the full size companies will do one as well! A simple 2 axle box car would be an excellent first piece to see how it sells. I personally would get several to run together at shows I plan to take my portable layout to. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline ShannonN  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2018 00:58:09(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Wishing Marklin would do a special car for Autism Awareness/Acceptance. Many on the spectrum, be it child or adult are drawn to trains and many are model railroaders. I myself am on the spectrum being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome several years ago. A whole train could be done over time covering the various subsets of Autism, Aspergers, PDD-NOS ect. I would take anything in HO or gauge 1. I have done a couple custom G scale items for myself using LGB European 2 axle passenger coach and a complete Kalamazoo USA style passenger train. I always get lots of comments when I run them at shows or open houses. Marklin has done many other special cars and locomotives such as the Unicef ones ect. With the rates of Autism on the rise, maybe if M does it on a model, the full size companies will do one as well! A simple 2 axle box car would be an excellent first piece to see how it sells. I personally would get several to run together at shows I plan to take my portable layout to. Mike the Aspie

Have you written to Marklin to tell them all this? I applaud the idea. Friends of mine have a boy now 17 that was originally diagnosed with asp. but at 15 was revised to be autistic, He's an incredible kid and winning awards for academic and other pursuits his family is super supportive. Yes there needs to be more awareness not only of the condition but but the perception of the disability. Many still think anyone diagnosed with these things are drooling mutants that need 24/7 care, NOT SO

get a petition going i'll sign it

Shanny

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2018 18:00:28(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have messaged them with no response to it. I would suggest anybody who is interested in seeing a car or even a lok made up send a message to M to push the issue to the board room table. Many different autism groups that cars could be done for to create a special train. Many of the folks I chat with on forums either are themselves on the spectrum or have children who are. Most times they love trains of any kind. I can say that when I run my G scale custom autism express, it generates lots of attention and discussion about being on the spectrum. At larger shows its hard to miss that I myself am on the spectrum as I will have my headset style hearing protection on to cope with being in a loud social event all day. Without it, I will probably have a meltdown at some point or at minimum be not so nice person to be around later in the evening from being over stimulated all day. Now that I am rebuilding my portable HO scale Marklin layout for shows, along side my home layout, a custom train is on my agenda. I just hope that Marklin would jump on the support bandwagon and make up a custom car, maybe donate a % of sales to an autism support/research group of thier choosing. It would be an excellent project for them to get fully involved with on many levels. With the big increase in diagnosis in both children and adults that were skipped over as kids, the very frequent love of trains among those on the spectrum, this should be an easy decision to say yes to. They can once again show the legacy of the oldest model train company and be the first(that I know of) to get behind and support autism research, awareness and most importantly, Acceptance of the condition. I have read that folks from M read these forums, so I hope they see this thread and take it to heart and consider doing this. Mike the Aspie.
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2018 18:07:45(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I would suggest if Marklin wanted to do a few different box cars, one like my avatar showing its ok to be different. I have an Asperger's version as well, then I have a magnet I got that shows, written on a school blackboard, "That you matter in this world" as suicide rates among autistics, espically high functioning ones, is very high due to many issues including bullying, lack of friends, extreme lonelyness ect. All of which I dealt with when I was a teenager. I would suggest a diesel lok as many on the spectrum have slower motor/cordination skills so the fragile pantographs on an Elok might be prone to breakage. One of the double ended, streamlined diesels or even the Ludmilla diesel could be used to keep tooling costs down. Most costs would just be in the printing dept and from they freight wagons I have gotten in Marklin's startup line, can be a home run at a very affordable cost. I really wish Marklin would participate in these groups with a designated contact person. Would go along ways to improving thier customer sales and support to the whole world, espically to those of us in the USA that love the brand. I myself suspect they do have someone here, that lurks and never or seldom posts without revealing they work for M. Ok, im off to run some trains! Mike the Aspie
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2018 18:29:45(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Here are some of my suggested images for freight wagons. If nothing comes of the idea thru them, I will get them made and find some very basic white box cars to put decals on as I do have someone that can made these as decals. The Austrian OBB Hercules diesel would be an excellent choice being that Dr Hans Asperger was from Austria. Mike the Aspie
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline ShannonN  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2019 00:57:00(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Here are some of my suggested images for freight wagons. If nothing comes of the idea thru them, I will get them made and find some very basic white box cars to put decals on as I do have someone that can made these as decals. The Austrian OBB Hercules diesel would be an excellent choice being that Dr Hans Asperger was from Austria. Mike the Aspie

Have you spoken to the Webmaster, he builds custom wagons with the clubs logo etc , maybe for 2019 he may do a set of reefers with your images for you we would all buy 1?
Or better all interested members donate $50 each to buy suitable stock etc for an ongoing project, sending a finished model to Marklin as an encouragement?
?

Edited by moderator 19 January 2019 21:01:38(UTC)  | Reason: Removed repeated images

Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2019 18:52:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post

Have you spoken to the Webmaster, he builds custom wagons with the clubs logo etc , maybe for 2019 he may do a set of reefers with your images for you we would all buy 1?
Or better all interested members donate $50 each to buy suitable stock etc for an ongoing project, sending a finished model to Marklin as an encouragement?
?

Another option would be to get this German site to do some wagons.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2019 01:31:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I could not find the English equivalent of this page (Promotion Service) on the Maerklin.com website: https://www.maerklin.de/...ce/werbemodelle/werbung/

See:
https://www.maerklin.de/...Werbemodelle_2016-17.pdf
https://www.maerklin.de/...ce/werbemodelle/anfrage/

I don't know what the minimum quantity is. I suppose you could try selling them as a fund raising operation. Perhaps there is a German Asperger's group that you could contact. I doubt that there are sufficent people with Autism or Asperger in the family who play with Maerklin in USA or Canada or Australia to do an entire run for one of those countries.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2019 17:52:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Offline Br502362  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2019 09:51:18(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

Märklin has made this wagon set earlier.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Kuhlwage...eafda:g:VZ0AAOSw38Bal9HZ

Maybe they could produce similar set with autism, aspergers, PDD-NOS etc. wagons?

Cheers

Åke