Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2019 03:30:55(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It's been a while that I have had my 36852 BLS Re 485. A few years back I got the 29486 Set, which contained a BLS Re 486. Maerklin then released the 36624 model, which had white LEDs and sound.
I am not a big fan of the dressed up hobby models. I much prefer my 37446/22631 to a 36606 with sound.

I intended to use the BLS Traxx loks to pull either my RAlpin ROLA train (43612 plus 47416/47417 cars) or one of my container trains.
I got the idea in my head to do a multiple unit consist with the 36852 plus 29486 Loks.

I recently noticed an offer for the shell for the 36624 BLS Re 486 on ebay.de and this offered me the chance to convert another Traxx Lok from my collection into a BLS Lok at a reasonable price. With a few migrated parts, I was able to turn my SNCB 186 into the BLS model. I now had one more BLS option, meaning that I could run the tandem as either a BLS 485 plus 486 or as a pair of 486s.

None of my locomotives have sound and they all have matching yellow LEDs, so they do not look out of place together and all of them can run together, something that the model with sound cannot do (if the sound is activated).

I can program the loks so that the lights on the lead lok are on and the second lok is off. It would be nice to have the Swiss light at the rear, but this is not bad for a hobby model.

The 29486 represents the model as when it was delivered, while the locomotive carried the markings showing that it was authorized for operation in Italy by then BLS partner Nordcargo. Nordcargo has since been acquired by DB Schenker and BLS is currently under minority ownership by SNCF Cargo. The 36624 represents a more recent version of this lok class and does not have I-NC markings.

Most likely, I will run the 485 and 486 (29486) with the Rola. The newer one will see use either instead of the 485 or on it's own with a container train.

I also have a pair of Re 465, will have 4 Re 425 (2 Rivarossi and 2 Roco) before long and have also recently acquired a Re 475 (Roco) and BR 186 (Railpool/BLS/ERS) (Roco). Those two will be heading my flagship Samskip and other container trains. The Re 465 will be split between freight (Hangartner) and passenger (EWIII/EWIV) and the Re 425 will handle my Goldenpass and EWI consists. My Re 420.5 will pull one of the EWI consists, hopefully eventually with LSM BDt (ex-SBB).

My oldest BLS Lok, the Ae 4/4 will be pulling my Interlaken-Amsterdam EC, made up of SBB EC coaches.

The BLS was not part of my original focus, but after repeated trips into the Berner Oberland and an increase of BLS traction on main routes, they started creeping into my collection and are now rivalling the SOB in my collection behind the SBB.

1 SBB
2 SOB
3 BLS
4 Crossrail
5 Foreign EVU (DB, NC, TXL, R4C, etc)

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2019 07:28:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike, sounds good, Ah I can't say that because your loco don't have sound BigGrin

I have or my son has bought some IKEA bookshelves and we are placing all our locos and rolling stock into it, eventually I'll buy some plexiglass and cover the front., since we've place most of our locos into the bookcases I found out SBB + BLS are plentiful, its on top of the list.
I think the time has past whereas we will ever see any of the individual designs, e.g. BLS Re 4/4's and most probably time will tell how long the SBB Re 4/4 - Re 6/6 going to last.
The trend I've seen from the Vectron and Trax locos, I assume it will be the norm in future., maybe a few electric - diesel (Switzterland-Italy)-(Austria-Italy), SBB/BLS seems to be happy with its bi-level carriages, RABDe 500 with a newer version ETR 610 and the question is: are we going to see any more Swiss produced locos ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2019 13:46:18(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

None of my locomotives have sound and they all have matching yellow LEDs, so they do not look out of place together and all of them can run together, something that the model with sound cannot do (if the sound is activated).

Hi Mike,
I have several locomotives without sound and severals with sound. There is no technical reason why I couldn't run sound locos and no-sound locomotives together. Furthermore, I never activate the sound of all.sound locomotives simultaneously, it wouldn't be a great event.

Moritz
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2019 18:58:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post
I have several locomotives without sound and severals with sound. There is no technical reason why I couldn't run sound locos and no-sound locomotives together. Furthermore, I never activate the sound of all sound locomotives simultaneously, it wouldn't be a great event.

The nicest thing about sound locomotives is the build up of sound when the locomotive gets underway. This requires a delay between throttle and acceleration. Locomotives without sound accelerate much faster, making the combination of loks with and without sound complicated.
The lok with sound would go through the sound/acceleration process while the other lok was already moving, meaning that the non-sound lok would be dragging the sound lok until it reached the same acceleration.

It may be possible to adjust the settings of the non-sound lok to match the acceleration or deceleration of the sound lok, but it would have to be readjusted when used with other non-sound loks unless all loks are adjusted, which is practically unfeasible because not all loks have the same delays.

For this reason, I tend to combine loks with sound with other loks with sound and those without sound with others without sound.

I have noted that a pair of loks with identical sound can on occasion create a phase effect. It would be interesting to see whether this also occurs in prototype.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mmervine  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2019 00:11:49(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I have all four of the BLS 485/486's that Marklin has produced. I normally run these double headed. I have installed Swiss lighting and Loksound/Lokpilot decoders in these by using boards from Luessi:

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca...h=2&products_id=2343

http://luessi.ch/shop/ca...ath=2&products_id=36

The Lokpilot decoders can be programmed to match the startup delay of the Loksound decoders in the lead unit.

mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/