Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nevw  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2019 08:16:57(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
looking to make up some carriage lights powered by a 3 v battery. I am looking for a very very small motion sensor that will turn the lights on and off by motion or lack thereof

I have some boards with a motion sensor but at $30 each makes it expensive for 24 carriages. they stay on for 3 minutes after stopping.

I have some 3 V light boards but are designed to go onto wheel pickups (with a resistor).

My idea is to connect them to a 3V button cell and wire it through a sensor.
Looking to find some tiny ones to go in a N Scale carriage
TIA
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline scraigen  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2019 09:03:56(UTC)
scraigen

These any good?

Train tech lighting
Must build something
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2019 12:50:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

This is a very interesting idea but you need to switch on & off and to replace batteries. The motion detector will cost money and draw current

On the other hand current conducting coupler may reduce the number of sliders to 1 per consist (in case some of your locos have a weak pulling power).
These can be installed on any NEM coupler pocket by using a tiny & flexible wire from one car to the next soldered to the very tip of the metal tongue going into the coupler pocket.

A regular small size capacitor, connected after a rectifier diode can totally remove any flickering).

Also it is possible (but not necessary) to install one function decoder per consist (where the slider is) to switch off the lights during day time or when parked in a yard.
Usually flexible LED tape comes at around 6€ for 5 meters (loads of cars to equip) and the voltage is usually 12V and need one resistor per car to reduce the luminosity.

The current draw is so minimal than even with all the coaches being lit, the current is small. My 30 trains, 15 lit consists draws (45 illuminated cars) only 2.8 Amp of which less than 0.5 A is used for illumination.

Cheers

Jean
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2019 15:09:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use the Train-tech lighting strips myself. I believe they also do the motion sensor on it's own for you to connect up your own LEDs. This may be cheaper?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2019 15:58:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I use Train Tech. Batteries last for ages and no flicker. Lights stay on for four minutes after stopping. Problem will be the cost for 24 coaches. Your layout must be getting bigger Nev with all these coaches.

Never was a fan of sliders and current conducting couplers. Noisy and lights flicker and the cost of a light bar and slider etc is probably more now than Train Tech.

How is the injured hand doing.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2019 11:00:39(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I've started using Train Tech. The removal of sliders from the coaches has made the whole signal/5146 type of operation very much easier to arrange. I also no longer need to link the lights in carriages and pick up via the loco's slider.

As to cost, as said above they are probably roughly the same, lighting coaches was never cheap and it isn't now.

Having said that, they are not the same, I still like the flickering, yellowish effect of the original...
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2019 11:51:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I've started using Train Tech. The removal of sliders from the coaches has made the whole signal/5146 type of operation very much easier to arrange. I also no longer need to link the lights in carriages and pick up via the loco's slider.

As to cost, as said above they are probably roughly the same, lighting coaches was never cheap and it isn't now.

Having said that, they are not the same, I still like the flickering, yellowish effect of the original...

Tran Tech also do the yellow type of lights. Don't know how you could get them to flicker though.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Michael4  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2019 16:26:17(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Yes, I used their warm white ones if that is what you mean. I suppose their lighting is far more accurate than the old Marklin set up of two exposed bulbs hanging from the roof!