Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jeffd  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2019 00:29:22(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
I have 2 F800 locomotives that are in mint condition except for the ever popular white zinc growth/corrosion on the tender. While these have what appear to be average growth and corrosion around the top rim of the tender I know WD 40 does a pretty good job of cleaning it as I learned from this community. My question is....I want to sell these and do I clean these up a little before I sell them or does the true collector want them in their original white dusted state?

Any advice/direction would be appreciated.

IMG_6025.JPG

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeffd
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2019 01:48:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: jeffd Go to Quoted Post
I have 2 F800 locomotives that are in mint condition except for the ever popular white zinc growth/corrosion on the tender. While these have what appear to be average growth and corrosion around the top rim of the tender I know WD 40 does a pretty good job of cleaning it as I learned from this community. My question is....I want to sell these and do I clean these up a little before I sell them or does the true collector want them in their original white dusted state?

Any advice/direction would be appreciated.

IMG_6025.JPG

I don't think so, they will ask you to reduce the price because of the state the tender is in, normal wear and tear is essential unless the locos is new and has never been run and you get a premium price for it. the other question is, how much demand is there in the States for these locos and you could get an indication what other (if any) sellers asking price is. the coal in the tender is or was real coal but you can use anything and spray paint it black, so long your restoration is done equally to the state of your loco you shouldn't have problem, may be mention it that the tender has been restored because I assume the tender and the loco will look different after the tender has been restored.
Good Luck and a Happy New Year

John, here is my restoration from a G 800 for a friend of mine

update (4).JPG

update1 (4).JPG

update 3.JPG

update.JPG
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline jeffd  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2019 19:41:25(UTC)
jeffd

United States   
Thanks for the input and pictures. You do find these for sale in the US from time to time but they always leave the white zinc corrosion. Seeing that it is difficult for me to sell one like that, I will probably clean it up with a little WD 40 and advise in my ad that the tender has been cleaned up a little.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeffd
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2019 22:38:34(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
It is Magnesium oxide, Tenders are cast in a lighter alloy than locomotive housings, with much more magnesium. A change was made when the last sk 800 tenders were cast, they used the same Zamak as the locomotive housings, and are considerably heavier. The production of metal freight cars from light weight alloy had ended, and only plastic was used , and only Zamak was at hand.

Henrik
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Henrik Schütz
Offline Henrik Schütz  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2019 22:42:41(UTC)
Henrik Schütz

Sweden   
About your question, I would leave it as it is, Its a collectors Item, and collectors normally wants untouched things, but a sensible cleanup and repaint do no harm to the value, if you add original style coal to the tender you might even raise the value a little.

Henrik