Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2018 01:37:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

today I received my Piko 51785 SBB Brown Boveri (BBC) Ae 4/7, completing my set of 2 Ae 4/7s, the other being the Maschinen Fabrik Oerlikon (MFO) version of this locomotive.
I had a chance to run it on my test track, along with a handful of Maerklin Lightsteel coaches (43360, 43370 and 43380).

This new locomotive is equipped with sound. For the initial MFO model, I had opted for the AC version without sound.
This might affect how the two locomotives would operate with each other, but as I was not initially planning on running them in tandem, this should not be a major problem.

One lok will be pulling an early 1970s (1971-72) regional train, which will be made up of Lightsteel and other coaches, as could be found on the line on the south side of the Lake of Zurich (Zuerichsee) down the hill from the town of Wollerau, where I spent that year.

The other will be pulling a typical 1965-1972 short mixed freight as could be found pretty much anywhere on the SBB network.

The new model is very nicely detailed and has a nice weight to it. The coupling shafts are mounted to the pivoting bogies on each end. From what I can see, there is no close coupling shaft, which would have been a challenge given the design of the prototype. I will do some testing to see how the locomotive fares with Maerklin (7203), Roco (40397) and also test it with Hag's short 152074-50 hook, which was designed for Hag's BDe 4/4.

So far, I have been able to test the functions using the 6021. The Function button turns the headlights on and off. By default, the selection is three bright white LEDs at the leading end and a single red light (lower right) on the trailing end of the locomotive. F1 turns on the sound, F2 activates a sound, F3 activates another sound and F4 turns on the cab lights in the leading cab. I will test using the MS2 later to see what other functions can be accessed. Hopefully on my Lokprogrammer Test Stand, I will be able to access all of the functions (F0-F23) for testing.

This model is worlds away from the old Hag (Buco) model. It seems to be better designed that the 1980s model from Liliput. From an aesthetic point of view, benefitting from the latest design technology, I think that this model probably surpasses the 1980s Hag model in appearance. It is still very hard to say that anything can be the Hag motor in terms of quality and performance.

I definitely hope that for both of my Piko Ae 4/7s. that spare parts will be available for years to come. I got pretty frustrated with a few expensive models over the past few years where replacement parts were almost out of the question from day one.

The Ae 4/7 and the RBe 4/4 (540) were among the last models missing from my wish list, so I am very happy to be able to cross these off that list.
I think that if I can find a handful of 44200A/44065 coaches from Roco, I might use those with this lok either with or instead of the lightsteel coaches.

I intend to add some photos when I get around to it, and any additional comments will be appended to this post and I will post a new message advising users of the update, so that you can come back and see what else I have had to say.

I hope that this is in keeping with the spirit of the guidelines expressed by the moderators and that you will all allow me a little time to get acquainted with my new model.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 21 December 2018 06:34:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike, I've looked at this loco and I may get it next year again to close off some of my missing loco from the SBB.

one thing does annoy me when the lights are fixed 3 white front 1 white rear and you can't select them individually but we will see with your final report when you test all the functions.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 21 December 2018 07:03:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
John,

I don't know how many of this model were produced or whether this, like the RBe 4/4 (540) was a special production for Switzerland.
I don't know if there are differences in the programming of the decoder for AC and DCC models. The function mapping may be a little different.
I was happy with the original model (without sound) and decided to get sound for the second one.
I understand that there has been some frustration with decoder function mapping and that Arwico, the Swiss distributor of these models is aware of those concerns.
I am monitoring the Swiss Hag Forum and other forums to see what people have to say. I hope to be able to do a full test (F0-F23) using the Decoder Test Function of my ESU Lokprogrammer.
F9 is supposed to change the Swiss tail light from red to white. F25 and F26 are supposed to be Zugbeleuchtung functions. I don't know exactly what this is supposed to do.
I would rather see Sound on/off, horn, and light functions in F1-F8 and doors and pantograph sounds further down the list.
I think that those are the sounds/features that would be used most often.
Any observations will be added to my original post and members will be advised of the update

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c