Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HO_Steve_OH  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2018 02:21:19(UTC)
HO_Steve_OH

United States   
Im not sure if this subject has been discussed here before, so I thought I would just ask my question.

Does anyone use DC to operate turnouts on your layout instead of AC?

I am in the process of starting a new layout from scratch and I will have an estimated 20 turnouts on my layout.
I have at this time, 1 32 volt AC transformer running just 1 train and 8 turnouts. I plan on running at least 4 engines
at a time and having at least 6 storage yards for parked engines and cars. I plan on trying an extra Astron
power supply to just run only the turnouts and any lights for buildings, streetlights or anything else.

Thanks....

Steve
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2018 04:49:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Are you talking about an analogue or digital setup?

DC works fine with solenoid turnouts if you want to. If its analogue they would be wired directly, if its Digital you would be supplying DC power to the decoders dedicated power input.

Viessmann manual prefers DC for their signals while Lenz prefers AC for their decoders to switch turnouts... So bit of a mix on what manufacturers recommend but AC or DC works fine for solenoids/turnouts.

Personally I have 3 transformers for my digital layout:
A Marklin 60VA 16V AC for the CS2 and trains
A Marklin 52VA 16V AC for decoders (which operate turnouts/signals etc.) with a Viessmann DC retifier for the signal decoders specifically.
A generic ebay 240W DC 12v power supply for all layout lighting.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2018 12:57:41(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I use 20V DC after this experience:

Marklin 24624 DKW switching problem - Solved
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline HO_Steve_OH  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2018 17:49:16(UTC)
HO_Steve_OH

United States   
Thanks for the info. Thats what I was looking for.
I am using old solenoid turnouts that Ive had for many years. I will be using a 30 amp Astron power supply so it should work fine.
I dont use the power supply anymore for my Ham Radios so I figured the PS should run fine with everything hooked up.
Im almost done with the AutoCad drawing of my layout. I will have to post a copy of it when Im finished.

It should look nice after its all up and running..
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2018 09:40:32(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I use a 100W 24Vdc transformer (and/or PS) for swtiching points. ON-time is limited in order to protect the point-motors, as I bridge the cut-off end-swtiches on them. I use it for the extra "oomph" the higher voltage gives, and it has worked like a charm for the last 10 years.
I run analogue.

For lighting the layout, an extra trafo es indeed a must, for but for switching pojtns and signals it is not really needed, as you usually only swith one thing at a time, and they dont use any power when not switiching.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com