Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fossie  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2018 05:14:05(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Dear All

My ice3 p/n 37780 front / rear lights and interior lights have now stopped working. The model still goes forward and backwards and you can hear the relay clicking sound when a reverse option is initiated. I have opened up the model and checked all the wiring between the cars and it seams OK. I believe the decoder is faulty as one chip seams to be very warm. My question is does any one no where i can source a replacement decoder or purchase another decoder that will give me all the light functions and may be sound as well.

Many thanks

Andy
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2018 05:59:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
is it still under warranty and could you take it back to your dealer, what type of decoder are we talking about ? 21 mtc pin or an 8 pin ?
you could go to a Märklin dealer and check if the decoder is faulty before going down the track and buying a new one

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2018 06:07:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
what type of decoder are we talking about? 21 mtc pin or an 8 pin?
A decoder with DIP switches, no socket, everything soldered. The train was a new item in the last century.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2018 08:22:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Are you trying to use the train on an analog or digital layout?

Pay attention to the position of the dip switches as mentioned in the instructions:

"Manually setting the operating mode.
The digital address is set to “03” ex works. In order to operate this version with alternating current, the settings at the switch groups on the decoder must first be changed.
In this case, move all switches in both switch groups to the “off” position.
Note: As a result, this train cannot switch from one system area with a digital power supply to another system area with conventional alternating current."

Both versions of this train cannot be operated with other makes of locomotive controllers
(DC power, pulse width control, other makes of multi-train systems).

"Safety Warnings
This locomotive is to be used only with an operating system designed for it (Märklin 6646/6647
AC transformer, Märklin Delta or Märklin Digital).
This locomotive must never be supplied with power from more than one transformer."

I do not know what happens if the model is used on a system with those switches not correctly set.

Might I also inquire as to which controller you are using (6021, MS, CS)?
The instructions might suggest that there may be some issue when used with the MS/CS with DC power.

As far as lights, it says that the LD lights will only work if the 6021 has dip switch 2 set to "on"

Right Click and select "Open in New Window": https://static.maerklin....f6ecf2c4921434542204.pdf
Apple. Two fingers on the trackpad and select "Open in New Window"

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2018 10:14:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: fossie Go to Quoted Post
My question is does any one no where i can source a replacement decoder or purchase another decoder that will give me all the light functions and may be sound as well.

This model is relatively old (late 1990's so 20 years old) and I don't believe decoder parts for it are available from Marklin anymore.

You would need to follow the same conversion process I did for my 34780 delta version of this train.

https://www.marklin-user...-ICE3-digital-conversion

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
is it still under warranty and could you take it back to your dealer....

I've heard of a 5 year Marklin warranty, but never a 20 year one....
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2018 13:21:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I've heard of a 5 year Marklin warranty, but never a 20 year one....
When you buy a 20-year-old shelf-queen from an authorised dealer, you will have 2 years of warranty.
But odds to get spare parts would still be not good.

In this case it seems the train is out of warranty.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0