Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2018 14:32:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi,
I've recently sent a parcel to Austria, it was bought on the 03/11/2018 and was posted on the 05/11/2018 it arrived at the customs office in Vienna on the 14.11.2018 and since than has been delayed and delayed day by day, the parcel couldn't be delivered today because of some missing identification which at this point I'm inquiring about it, the receiver is perplexed about the way the customs office is handling the whole case including charging methods for the item.
I've sent hundreds of parcels overseas but never experienced anything like this but for our recipient in Austria its not new news for him., he has told me their handling procedures is similar to getting pigs lined up, he calls it a pigsty. apparently they're questioning their own shabby and incompetent work they're performing and asking the recipient to come up with the answers, with other words they can't keep their own house in order.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2018 18:05:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have had similar experiences with some European countries. Normally, the item is held at customs while it is assessed and then a notice is sent to the recipient informing them of any taxes or duty, that they must then pay in order for the item to be released to them. In some cases, the customs processing is not done at a central location, but is done locally at facilities close to the destination address.

I remember in the 1980s, having to go downtown to Old Montreal to present myself at the old Customs House, to pay the tax and duty on inbound parcels and pick them up once the amount owing was paid. Today, the parcels are delivered with the assessment and a $9 fee. The mailman collects the fee and hands you the package.

Postal regulations call for information to be in French for international mailing. French is the language of the Universal Postal Union, yet we know that not every customs officer is going to speak other languages than their native one. This means that a Canadian or American is not going to understand what Modellbahn means, or an Austrian might not recognize "trains miniatures" or "Model RR".
It can often be helpful to include the information in the destination language. I once got called out by a USPS clerk because I had added Modellbahn under the line "Model Trains" and they insisted that that space was "only for additional items"

What any shipper can do to reduce the risk of problems is to include a description in English, French and German (for parcels to D, A, CH) as well as the H.S.T. code (Harmonized System Tariff), which for model trains is 9503 (Model Trains and Parts thereof).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2018 02:46:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I've just been told by the recipient that the postman fills in forms prior to the delivery and is not bothered to ring the bell to deliver the parcel but rather puts the notice into the letterbox so he can get home sooner. I don't think a woman would do that.
the same scenario happens with Lou (HongKong), he apparently lives in a high rise building and the post man can't be bothered to take the parcel up to his floor and just leaves a notice, he gets very annoyed with this as the post office is quite a way from where he lives.

John
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2018 10:57:16(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well John, we don't export much from Australia these days, however, it looks like we're exporting our mail workers.

That trick of just leaving a notice and not the parcel has been going on for years in Sydney - it looks like the Canadians have learnt this one. At least the Canadian postmen leave it in the letter box - here in Sydney they leave it on the doorstep and 99% of the time it blows away. Opps - the Canadians might read this and start doing the same thing.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2018 11:15:06(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Well John, we don't export much from Australia these days, however, it looks like we're exporting our mail workers.

That trick of just leaving a notice and not the parcel has been going on for years in Sydney - it looks like the Canadians have learnt this one. At least the Canadian postmen leave it in the letter box - here in Sydney they leave it on the doorstep and 99% of the time it blows away. Opps - the Canadians might read this and start doing the same thing.

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg

I am happy with our system. The postman leaves a notice in the personal or community mailbox and the world picks up his package at the local post office.

Leave the parcels on the doorstep, I don't want them: I don't want them stolen from me

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2018 19:23:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In Quebec (Canada), for apartment buildings, they leave a notice and you have to pick up the parcel at the local post office or authorized outlet.
In areas where they have exterior community mailboxes, they now have a number of individual mailboxes to which you have a key for your own.
If there is a large parcel, they place the parcel in a dedicated box, and leave you a key in your PMB. Once you retrieve your box, you are supposed to return the key in a special box that the mailman will recover. I have heard a few stories that seem to indicate that some of those parcel box keys may have duplicates that have been used to make boxes disappear.
In my area, parcels are delivered by other staff than the regular (letter) mailman. The delivery staff is friendly and rings or knocks and if there is no reply, the shipment is available for pickup the next day. It has been over two decades since the last time we have had a notice without delivery attempt.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2018 03:57:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
The parcel has been picked up by the receiver on Sunday at a drop off point for parcels not being able to be delivered in person whereas a signature is required.

the reeciver had also mentioned the parcel wans't opened or damaged in any way., all I need know is a positive feedback and the long waiting time is over

John
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2018 05:54:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Using DHL you tell them on their website, where they shall place the parcel.

https://www.dhl.de/en/pr...en/pakete-empfangen.html

There I have a big garage, by internet I told them to deposit my parcels always there. I leave the key in the cylinder. They open and close the door and always leave me a note in my mailbox, informing they had a parcel deposited. It is perfectly functioning.

Don't DHL have these pick-up location boxes not all around the world?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2018 08:05:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Using DHL you tell them on their website, where they shall place the parcel.

https://www.dhl.de/en/pr...en/pakete-empfangen.html

There I have a big garage, by internet I told them to deposit my parcels always there. I leave the key in the cylinder. They open and close the door and always leave me a note in my mailbox, informing they had a parcel deposited. It is perfectly functioning.

Don't DHL have these pick-up location boxes not all around the world?

It most probably have but have you ever used this service either sending parcels from Europe to overseas or sending parcels from Australia to Europe, .if I had to depend on them I would give up trying to sell locos. the price is astronomically high, I get parcels from Germany via DHL for Euro 65,00 as Deutsche Post is near the Euro 30.00 mark. my parcel costs A$ 60.00 with insurance and signature with DHL it would have costed me A$ 192.00.

you know when you get ripped off.

John