Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2018 18:28:37(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

First off I would like to thank the forum members that helped me out with my new track plan.

Johnvr and dennisb thank you for reaching out to me!

This really was a labour of love for me because I wanted to use C track exclusively.

Hopefully this is as close to my final plan as can be! Please tell me what you think and if something needs tweaking.

The red colour track is level 1. Grey is the Hamburg station level 2. My rendition of John Allen’s Timesaver is green level 3. Left side of the plan is the ore mine (needs some more track) and the mountains on that side of the layout. Right side of the layout will be a two track four span bridge. The plan might need some moving on the bench but besides that Hallelujah!

Please note level 1 will also have the staging yard which presently I do not have the track for.

For the curious the small red dots indicate where I have to cut the c track to fit correctly. I successfully cut the pieces using a carbide tipped tooth saw blade in a compound mitre saw. Works very well as long as you have a clamping jig to rest the track into while cutting.

Please note the dark grey rectangles are 3 sheets of plywood.

Michel

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2018 22:06:00(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Michael,

Nice plan. But I see no possibility to turn around a train or a locomotive.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2018 22:33:07(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Michael,

Nice plan. But I see no possibility to turn around a train or a locomotive.

Regards

Markus

Hi Markus,

I never thought about that and that is a very valid point! Let me correct that on my plan and I will post an update tomorrow.

Thank you for letting me know!!

Regards,

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline jcrtrains  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2018 02:26:15(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Looks great.

It is a bit hard to see the throat on the right. Are there double slips that allow continuous running of both tracks through the station?
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2018 02:53:30(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Lots of smart thinking here- the time saver to enable operations and fiddling, but still planning a layout around that to just enjoy and watch trains circulate, be it for yourself or for visitors! So many people forget one or the other, or implement non-functional sidings
SBB Era 2-5
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2018 04:06:14(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Looks great.

It is a bit hard to see the throat on the right. Are there double slips that allow continuous running of both tracks through the station?

Hi Jon,

I'll post another plan without the plywood so that you can see the right side of the station. Unfortunately Marklin doesn't make wide double slips so I just added more turnouts to get the results that I wanted.

Michel

Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2018 04:20:45(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Lots of smart thinking here- the time saver to enable operations and fiddling, but still planning a layout around that to just enjoy and watch trains circulate, be it for yourself or for visitors! So many people forget one or the other, or implement non-functional sidings

My plan to build this model railroad was to have the design on paper before I started building. Usually I build and then plan which never really worked out because I always forgot to incorporate real railroad features. Now I know what I need to do and to do it the right way! Not like before where I made changes after the track was laid.

Most times it's just me downstairs in my train room and I would like to have fun switching so that's why I incorporated the timesaver. On occasions (weekly) I'll have friends who actually miss the old layout. Now with this layout there'll be more operating interactions than watching the trains go by!

Michel
Offline Johnvr  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2018 07:10:37(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Michel,

I am looking at the gradient which you have on the two loops. In my mind, the gradient will be too steep for the trains which you plan to run.
I usually work on having about 20 sections of track to climb to the next level up in order to have a 2.5% gradient.

I am glad that you have incorporated a Timesaver, and I hope that you will be using the Marklin Uncoupler Tracks to perform this function.
Perhaps a detailed track plan of the Timesaver which you are planning would be useful, because remember also to not place an uncoupler track after a curve turnout, you should place a 064 or something between a curve turnout and an uncoupler track. This is to ensure that the wagons uncouple on a straight line.

Of course, you can also add little sidings around the layout with industries, ie logging plant, beer factory, refridgeration trucks, banana wagons, etc, so that the freighting of trucks between the Timesaver and the various Industries around the layout also becomes a feature for when your friends come to visit.

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2018 17:06:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Jon (jcrtrains) & Johnvr,

Hopefully this helps to see what I have done. Once I start to lay track I will see how the elevation separation is. If I need to make changes to increase the height I will do so. I agree with adding sidings and industries it will make the railroad more like the real world. I will incorporate those after I see how everything looks.

Michel

Offline michelvr  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2018 19:19:38(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Michel,

I am looking at the gradient which you have on the two loops. In my mind, the gradient will be too steep for the trains which you plan to run.
I usually work on having about 20 sections of track to climb to the next level up in order to have a 2.5% gradient.

I am glad that you have incorporated a Timesaver, and I hope that you will be using the Marklin Uncoupler Tracks to perform this function.
Perhaps a detailed track plan of the Timesaver which you are planning would be useful, because remember also to not place an uncoupler track after a curve turnout, you should place a 064 or something between a curve turnout and an uncoupler track. This is to ensure that the wagons uncouple on a straight line.

Of course, you can also add little sidings around the layout with industries, ie logging plant, beer factory, refridgeration trucks, banana wagons, etc, so that the freighting of trucks between the Timesaver and the various Industries around the layout also becomes a feature for when your friends come to visit.

RegardsBigGrin
John

Hello John,

As mentioned on the other post I'll deal with the gradients once I see how everything fits in. Here's my rendition on John Allen's timesaver......

Edited by user 28 November 2018 23:40:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 28 November 2018 20:48:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Very cool... as I was not familiar with what the "The Timesaver" was, I had to go read up on it and what it is all about. Very neat idea, and a concept I may try to fit into my layout at whichever locations I place a switching yard. For other readers who are also unfamiliar with the puzzle game that lets you try to solve the 'problem posed' in the least amount of time without derailing anything, I found this PDF that contains the layout restrictions (the length of sidings and uncoupler locations are critical to limiting what can be done where) - and the rules / how to play.
https://www.div3.ncr-nmr...ary/TimesaverContest.pdf
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline fynrfin  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2019 21:58:29(UTC)
fynrfin

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

First off I would like to thank the forum members that helped me out with my new track plan.

Johnvr and dennisb thank you for reaching out to me!

This really w
Please note the dark grey rectangles are 3 sheets of plywood.

Michel

Hello Michel,

Do you have a picture of the track plan, I would love to see how you built in the time saver.

Steen
Steen Jorgensen
Planning a Northern European (DSB and DB) C-track layout with IB control.
Offline michelvr  
#13 Posted : 22 February 2019 14:51:53(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Steen,

Attached below is my track plan for Hamburg. You will notice that I moved my rendition of the"The Timesaver" so that you can see it clearly.

Michel

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr