Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 25 November 2018 10:18:25(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good morning everyone,
one simple question, actually two :-)
Is the article 74491 the latest switch motor?
This should not have the problems with the internal micro-switches, correct ?

Which article number do the motor decoders now have?
Thank you
Marco
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2018 10:28:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have 74490 and 74491 on my layout. I've had problems with the end cut-off switches on both types.

There is also a 74492 but I have no experience of those.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline blid  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2018 11:28:19(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
As far as I know the 74491 is the latest item number. I had a couple of 74492 but I think the were just 74491 with thicker wires for My World.

When I built the first version of my current layout the problem wasn't known, but I had experienced some problems with the previous layout. I assumed it was lack of power since I was feeding everything thru the C-track. Hence the s88 position feedback for all turnouts on the next.
I still have the s88 feedback on the current version and use Train Controller. This summer I used the TC tools to create a log of the behavior of the turnout motors since then. It can be saved and printed. Not a nice reading. The only good thing is that Marklin still seems to replace the faulty 74491. When I rebuilt the layout (2013) to the current version Marklin replace all my 106 motors to 74491. Since then I think that I have replaced about 50. 2 of the motors I received a month ago is now sent back.

Maybe shorting the end shutters is the best solution. I won't do that on my layout.

blid
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2018 18:10:36(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
The 74491 has been changed from what I have seen in the past. I have installed several new 74491s as recently as the past couple months and even though the number is the same the sticker on the switch is different and the design is also different when you open up the metal casing. I apologize that I do not have pictures as they are all installed at the moment.

I have several older switches, 2013 and 2014 and I have closed the circuit on the two micro switches on all of them. I was going to do that as a precautionary measure on the new switches before installing them but the switches have been completely redesigned. When I opened those switches I didn't see anything needing to be soldered together as far as micro switches went.

It is possible that you could order a 74491 and depending on how much inventory your dealer has you could possibly get the older problematic switches or the newer switches. Also, just because I have installed new redesigned 74491s I can't say they wont fail at some point, I haven't used them enough yet. However, I didn't see the same design as before so I am hoping the circuit has been modified to address the problem.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2018 15:14:42(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone, thank you for your answers. Very helpful.

Which is the article number for switch decoders ?
I have seen two numbers 74460 and 74461, I believe the latter are the newer types, correct ?

Thank you
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2018 17:36:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, thank you for your answers. Very helpful.

Which is the article number for switch decoders ?
I have seen two numbers 74460 and 74461, I believe the latter are the newer types, correct ?

Thank you

Take the Märklin art #74491

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/74491/

as the electric turnout mechanism and the art #74461 as a C-track built in decoder.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/74461/

But you also may use the m83 decoder, but then you have to do some cabeling, but it is much cheaper than these built in decoders.

At Charlie's Blog you get a explanation and cabeling plan for a k 83 which is the same as the m 83 today. Furtheron it explains something to the C-track remote controlled turnouts too, but nothing to the end switch problem.

http://ajckids.com/blog/...-scale/digital-h0-scale/
(scroll down please)

Because the motor turnout problem remains. It also remains with the old and new electric turnout mechanism, because it is the technique of a solenoid article and the used components, the limit switch inside. The break down is corresponding to the usage, the numbers of switches.

I found a good explanation and solution of this limit or end switch problem at these links:

https://www.stayathome.c...antriebe.htm#Endschalter
(scroll down to "3. Austausch der Endschalter durch Resettables")

http://zugkraft-stucki.b...riebe-problemlosung.html

Here is a dealers offer of the necessary PTC multifuse resettings.

https://shop.zugkraft-st...e-sicherung-ptc-pfra-020

Sorry - these articles are in German only. If you need further help please let me know.

I use the 74491 motors and sooner or later they break down and they waiting for a repair now too.

Forget about the art #74492 motor. This is only for the start-up system and you need as a turnout control box the art #72752.

P.S. The 74461 is the successor of the 74460, which is no longer offered by Märklin. The 74461 is usable by MM and DCC. Now Märklin needs only one turnout decoder for the Märklin and Trix system.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Jabez  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2018 20:09:21(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Forget about the art #74492 motor. This is only for the start-up system and you need as a turnout control box the art #72752.

Just a footnote to the above correct observation. If by any chance you have a 74492 and want to use it without the special control box then just snip off the plug at the box end of the wire harness, treat the BLACK wire is if it were the YELLOW wire of a 74491 motor and attach a yellow plug to it. The other two wires in the harness are effectively the red and the green. Attach the appropriate red and green plugs to them and now the 74492 motor can be connected to a regular switch box or decoder just like a 74491 motor.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline costing  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2018 21:46:31(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say :)

I started with the 74491 and like everybody else I had problems right from the start with some. One I couldn't fix by simply soldering the switches even.

Then I discovered the Viessmann motor + decoder, 4554 fits directly in the C track. Sorry to say, I will not go back to M* after them. It's a pleasure to see them switching.

Cheers,

.costin
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by costing
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2018 08:01:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've used the original in the beginning when they came out with the K-track and bought about 150 of them, they were useless when you used the underfloor kit as my board was thicker than the plastic lever going through the board and there was to much play with the underfloor mechanism., I've got a few C-track motors and haven't had any problems with them except one the circuit board was broken (from new). these days I use servo motors with switch pilot servo modules, I can program them exactly to the position they need to be and also the speed van be programmed. when the motor is turned off the tongue dosen't move as it is locked in.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline MaerklinLife  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2018 08:11:35(UTC)
MaerklinLife

I use the 74491. Drives from mid 2015 and on from there do not have the problems that earlier drives had. I have not had a single drive fail since I switched the older ones with new drives.

The 74492 is the same drive as 74491, but with a different plug for the StartUp control box.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 28 November 2018 10:27:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
https://shop.zugkraft-stucki.ch/de/9242/maerklin-2-stk-multifuse-rueckstellende-sicherung-ptc-pfra-020

Aussie and NZ source

https://www.digikey.com....A.020/486-3508-ND/639750

https://nz.mouser.com/Pr...52bVXeKJMnXKrGfuyexv4%3d
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline pab  
#12 Posted : 28 November 2018 11:22:51(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I use the Märklin switch motors on my lay-out (K track).
I hade to replace some of those during the last 35 years of use. But you can't expect that the motors live forever.
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 28 November 2018 12:33:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think if I were starting now on a new layout I would do two things.

1. I would make an access hole under the turnouts in case it need attention
2. I would think about using the Viessmann motors

I don't necessarily think that moving away from Marklin is the best solution. I have a few Viessmann semaphore Signals and one of them (the most expensive!) has given me no end of trouble with the signal refusing to move one of its two arms. The symptoms seem very similar to the Marklin turnout motor problem and is only experienced on one of the signal's two solenoids. I've fiddled with it so much that it has lost the slow action movement, but at least it mostly works now. I have no experience of their turnout motors though.

I am wary of the promises that "newer motors will not have the same problems as the older ones". Some of my older ones have never failed and some of my newer ones have failed straight away. At least on the newer ones I left myself an easy way of getting at the motor and I've now bypassed the end cut-off switches on those turnouts. As I work them with simple push-button switches I can control how long they stay activated and there is little chance of burning them out. It's important however to make sure that the switch boxes don't get jammed. They need to be mounted on perfectly flat bases and the holes for the buttons need to be loose enough for them to pop back up easily.

Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 28 November 2018 16:08:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Had a Viessmann three way turn out motor and decoder but had no end of trouble and went back. The Marklin one still works after a couple of years.
Marklin motors I have found to be OK with only one giving up. I do give them some WD40 every few months which may or may not help. I now keep a spare motor just in case. No real excuse for these not working and Marklin need to up their game if it continues.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 28 November 2018 17:07:55(UTC)
H0

It seems there were at least three hardware revisions for the 74490 and at least three hardware revisions for the 74491.

And hearsay tells that very early 74490 are pretty reliable. Don't expect too much longevity from early 74491.
Latest 74491 should be more reliable than early 74491.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mbarreto  
#16 Posted : 28 November 2018 19:31:08(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I have 2 early 74490 turnout motors and I confirm they work without problems.
One thing I "feel", and I say feel because it is just what seems to me and didn't do any measurement, is that when operated by MS2 they switch faster and stronger if using a laptop power supply instead of the 36VA from Märklin.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline ocram63_uk  
#17 Posted : 28 November 2018 19:56:40(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
thank you everyone. The Viessmann alternative is interesting, 2 components into 1 single piece. Not bad but the cost is higher by 10 euros. I have to buy 8 sets. So I really have to give a good ponder :-)
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 28 November 2018 21:30:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Viessmann also make the 4558, which is cheaper. I've no idea how good these are but I am considering ordering one just to see.

https://viessmann-modell...or-maerklin/trix-c-track
Ray
Offline Jabez  
#19 Posted : 28 November 2018 23:38:22(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
thank you everyone. The Viessmann alternative is interesting, 2 components into 1 single piece. Not bad but the cost is higher by 10 euros. I have to buy 8 sets.

That's the problem with all integrated turnout motor decoder products whether they consist of two components (Maerklin) or one (Viesmann).
You effectively have to buy a decoder for every single turnout. Whereas a standalone decoder can service 4 turnouts. In your case it would mean effectively buying 8 turnout motors and 8 decoders vs 8 motors plus 2 decoders.
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 29 November 2018 19:59:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

thank you everyone. The Viessmann alternative is interesting, 2 components into 1 single piece. Not bad but the cost is higher by 10 euros. I have to buy 8 sets. So I really have to give a good ponder :-)

Are you a carpet cleaner - ähh I mean a carpet railroader? BigGrin If not you do not really need the built in expensive decoder (does not matter which producer). You may use a m83, same effect and yes some cabeling necessary. On the other hand, the more built in decoders and motors, etc. you are using the more you should think about a separate electric supply of appliances beside your track current (Bahnstrom = red) supply.

But in any cases, if you are toggeling your turnouts always and only by a decoder digitally, then you can remove the limit switching in the turnout motors and solder all three points together. You only do never use this motor then in an analogue modus again. This destroys your motor. In my opinion, the best solution is to replace these limit switches by resettables, a PTC resistor (PTC=positive temperature coefficient).
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 29 November 2018 20:12:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
https://shop.zugkraft-stucki.ch/de/9242/maerklin-2-stk-multifuse-rueckstellende-sicherung-ptc-pfra-020

Aussie and NZ source

https://nz.mouser.com/Pr...52bVXeKJMnXKrGfuyexv4%3d

Thanks for the links. They are even helpful for Germans, because they have subsidiaries in Germany with a German homepage too. These who understood my post with the links will appreciate it too, I think.

But do you have experience with peaks of soldering irons too? What do you think, which peak size will be the applicable one for this small and fine solder bump? (hopefully you understand my used specific technically English words. Not quite sure, if they describe I am asking for).
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 29 November 2018 20:38:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Wolf, I think you are referring to the type / size of a soldering iron bit.

I have about 5 or 6 bits for my iron and without opening a point motor to see what size the solder pad is, I would use a bit with a fine tip to solder the fuses with.

You certainly don't want to over cook the solder pad and have it lift away from the circuit board.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
https://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/PFRA020?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsgjL4JkW1EER6i%252bVXeKJMnXKrGfuyexv4%3d

Thanks for the links. They are even helpful for Germans, because they have subsidiaries in Germany with a German homepage too.

Yes, for the Mouser link, just replace the 'nz' in the URL with 'de' and you will be taken to the German page for that item, with prices in euros.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 29 November 2018 20:40:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

But do you have experience with peaks of soldering irons too? What do you think, which peak size will be the applicable one for this small and fine solder bump? (hopefully you understand my used specific technically English words. Not quite sure, if they describe I am asking for).

I believe you are talking about the soldering iron tip, where the solder touches the soldering iron.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#24 Posted : 01 December 2018 02:50:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: costing Go to Quoted Post
I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say :)

I started with the 74491 and like everybody else I had problems right from the start with some. One I couldn't fix by simply soldering the switches even.

Then I discovered the Viessmann motor + decoder, 4554 fits directly in the C track. Sorry to say, I will not go back to M* after them. It's a pleasure to see them switching.

Cheers,

.costin

Great advice - I need to get some of these.

In the last 18 months I have gotten several 74491 motors which did not work properly - even right out of the box and not yet installed in a turnout. Blink

I opened them and up and filed some sloppy plastic parts, then used a bit of grease and cycled them a lot of times. Now they work reliably but not particularly cleanly.

I am aware of the issues with the limit switches but in my own use they are just part of the problem and bridging them is OK but sometimes it will not solve your problem.

This seems so basic and yet is vital and they obviously need to get this problem sorted out.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline ocram63_uk  
#25 Posted : 10 December 2018 12:09:52(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
good morning everyone.
as to the issue related to the 'limit or end switch problem' I recall that I had solved it years ago
NOT by replacing the internal micro switch but by bypassing it somehow after reading a post on a Marklin forum. Have no idea where to find the article now but will try.
Thank you
MrB32  
#26 Posted : 10 December 2018 14:58:23(UTC)

good morning everyone.
as to the issue related to the 'limit or end switch problem' I recall that I had solved it years ago
NOT by replacing the internal micro switch but by bypassing it somehow after reading a post on a Marklin forum. Have no idea where to find the article now but will try.
Thank you

Do you mean this:
?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#27 Posted : 11 December 2018 12:53:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Like some of you I tried the Viessmann 4554 but they all died very rapidly and went back to Märklin. I don't know about the 4558.

As you know Märklin had several changes made on their switch motors
- initially with one microswitch and reduced current & force
- changed to 2 end switches
- changed the solenoid strength
- added a surge-protection component between each coil connection.

Now I have 48 of these motors and they work reliably provided (a) they are the latest model with high energy coils, (b) their end position switches are shorted, they are driven by decoder with a close power supply (not one connected though a few meters of track). Yes on occasion one may fail and needs replacement but this happens once a year after 600 to 700 hours of operation with intensive switch opertion (by Rocrail). Switch issues tend to grow when not used frequently.

On C Track some issues were generated by deteriorating plastic becoming brittle (between 1996 and 2002)

Cheers

Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline TEEWolf  
#28 Posted : 11 December 2018 22:40:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
good morning everyone.
Thank you

Do you mean this:
?

Thanks for this video in English. This video is explaining one of the possibilities I mentioned in my post #6. Unfortunately these are mainly in German.

So the hint at the end of this video:

"Achtung: Endabschaltung deaktiviert! Nur kurz betätigen." = Attention: Limit switch deactivated! Only actuate briefly.

is necessary for the ones who are using this solenoid actuator without a decoder. Because a decoder is regulating the current impuls that the solenoid actuator is not destroyed. If you do this manually it can be destroyed pretty easy. Because of this, it is recommended, instead only soldering two or three the micro ending switch tacks together to replace this end switch with a PTC reset fuse. Which you et e.g. here:

Offline Drongo  
#29 Posted : 13 December 2018 12:26:38(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have about 120 74491 motors and the corresponding decoders for C track. About 75% of them are faulty and 50% of the decoders are faulty.

I'm really annoyed about this and I have decided not to buy anymore Marklin locomotives or electronic devices. They are just rubbish. I buy around 25,000 euro per year from Marklin and they won't listen to my complaints - all they do is send me messages from the ministry of propaganda. Marklin was bought by a toy manufacturing company and they are reducing the brand "Marklin" to a toy. There are some stupid businessmen in the world, but this takes the cake.
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Athistle  
#30 Posted : 04 June 2019 01:53:05(UTC)
Athistle

Australia   
Here is some further information which might help folks trying to solve the Marklin 74491/74490 point driver motor contact problems. I have a large Marklin C-track layout with over 30 points driven by Uhlenbrock drivers and have had my fair share of unreliable operation due to contact issues within the point motors. I have tried bypassing the contacts which seems to work but has the disadvantage when using route control that the point motors buzz even if the point does not need to be operated. I also have so many points embedded in Sculpturemould scenery that it was not really practical to pull them all up and modify the motors so I had to find another way.

The method I use has overcome problems with about 8 points without lifting the track and seems to work consistently. Firstly I drill a 2.5mm hole in the outer flange of the C-track "ballast" on the straight side alongside the rail and between two sleepers. For 24611/12 points this is 160mm from the throat, and for 24711/12 points this is 175mm from the throat. I then inject SERVISOL Electrical Clean and Lube spray (available from JAYCAR in Australia) into this hole and into the existing indicator lamp hole adjacent to the control lever using the plastic extension tube supplied with the spray can. This enables the cleaning vapour to get to both ends of the point motor. Given a certain amount of perseverance which involves operating the point manually and electrically at the same time and probably injecting more cleaner the point will eventually start to work. This can be a time-consuming frustrating process (taking anything up to 10 minutes of fiddling around) but once the point begins to to work correctly the problem is fixed. All the points I have worked on using this method continue to work reliably - any sign of erratic behaviour and I spray some more cleaner/lube through the holes.

I also make a point of regularly operating all the routes as part of my maintenance routine. Any points which do not appear to be operating smoothly get the above treatment. I use the same method on my double slip and 3 way points and no doubt it would also work on curved points. The key is to find a way of getting cleaning vapour to both ends of the motor without damaging the point mechanism. So far this has worked for me, but I cannot vouch for the long term.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Athistle
Offline Thewolf  
#31 Posted : 04 June 2019 15:25:23(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Like some of you I tried the Viessmann 4554 but they all died very rapidly and went back to Märklin. I don't know about the 4558.

As you know Märklin had several changes made on their switch motors
- initially with one microswitch and reduced current & force
- changed to 2 end switches
- changed the solenoid strength
- added a surge-protection component between each coil connection.

Now I have 48 of these motors and they work reliably provided (a) they are the latest model with high energy coils, (b) their end position switches are shorted, they are driven by decoder with a close power supply (not one connected though a few meters of track). Yes on occasion one may fail and needs replacement but this happens once a year after 600 to 700 hours of operation with intensive switch opertion (by Rocrail). Switch issues tend to grow when not used frequently.

On C Track some issues were generated by deteriorating plastic becoming brittle (between 1996 and 2002)

Cheers

Jean

Hi Jean

I guess that's the new generation of Marklin motors you're using : 74491

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital