Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2018 10:25:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I'm going to connect my layout to the CS3+ and I'm confused as to which cables connect to which sockets, etc.

Here's what I have:

1 - CS3+
1 - CS2
4 - Boosters 60174
6 - Power packs 60061
2 - terminals 60125
1 Cable 60123

Here's what I want to do:

I want to have 6 isolated power sections on my layout, powered by the CS3+, the CS2 and the 4 boosters. I know that I use the 60123 cable to connect the CS2 & CS3+, but which sockets on the back of the CS's does the cable plug into.
The terminal needs to plug into the CS3+, but which cable and where on the CS3+

I hope someone can help me with this.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2018 11:49:26(UTC)
H0

Hi, Greg,

Just count the pins or holes respectively. Or check the symbols. The CS manuals tell you what the symbols stand for.

The terminal has a cable attached - and that cable fits only into one socket. The second terminal can be plugged into the back of the first terminal.
I think the 60123 cable has two different plugs. With a CS3 it fits only one way, with a CS3+ it fits either way. I think it does not matter which plug goes into which CS.

You only need one terminal for four boosters.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2018 12:25:56(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2018 04:05:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to connect my layout to the CS3+ and I'm confused as to which cables connect to which sockets, etc.

Here's what I have:

1 - CS3+
1 - CS2
4 - Boosters 60174
6 - Power packs 60061
2 - terminals 60125
1 Cable 60123

I want to have 6 isolated power sections on my layout, powered by the CS3+, the CS2 and the 4 boosters. I know that I use the 60123 cable to connect the CS2 & CS3+, but which sockets on the back of the CS's does the cable plug into.

Regards
Greg

Hello Greg,

the just published new security guideline from Märklin may help first to show

https://www.maerklin.de/.../Sicherheits-Vorgabe.pdf

on page 8 a picture of the structure and separations of a CS 3 and 5 boosters. Just the same amount of device you want to connect together. Important may be that there you see by the different colours where you shall seperate only the "Bahnstrom" (current) red alone. And where you shall seperate your devices completly "Bahnstrom" together with the "Masse" (mass) brown.

Here is a further picture of the digital architecture of Märklin systems.

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

In the picture you find your cable 60123 too. This 60123 is the basic cable for building the CAN bus. You start between the two CS. In the manual (English section) for a 60216 page 8 you see little graphic symbols with its description beside. These graphic symbols you find at the jack bar of both of your CS. Or see at the CS manual page 4 with description of the various sockets, plugs and conncectors - which is which.

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/60216
see picture 5 from the left.

So you only have to connect the various jacks with the cable 60123.

The CAN bus input is a jack with 6 pins and the CAN bus output is a jack with 9 pins. Actually the pins are at the cable and at the CS are the sockets with the wholes. The 60123 cable is also used for connection and/or extension for the 60125/60145 the so called Terminal. On this terminal on the one side you have a jack with 9 wholes and on the other side at the short cable is the plug with the 9 pins. So is it at mine 60145 terminal. But my information is that it is identical with the 60125 except the colour. At each longer side of the terminal you have 2 jacks with 7 wholes. This is the Märklin device connection with 7 pins. The same socket you also find at the CS 3 plus between the input and output devices. This Märklin device jack is e.g. for connecting booster or the L88 link.

Hopefully you understand my insufficient English description. Be aware please that the difference in the CAN bus signs is only a very little triangle. For the output device it stands on the peak point, for the input device it stands on the line segment in opposite of the peak point.

And please do not forget to program inside your both CS all these connections, which is the master and which is the slave of your controllers.

An further example of the Märklin digital structure you see at the CS 3 PDF-manual

download:
https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

on page 38 for a CS 3+ and on page 39 for the CS 3. There is also the article number listed at the applicable device, cable, box, etc.

Because of the different pins and sockets in the various jacks and if you are a little bit concentrated you cannot do very much wrong.

In the Mäerklin Magazine 05/2017 page 25 (page 6 of the PDF file)

https://www.maerklin.de/...setzen-Folge_1_und_2.pdf

you see another easy and clearly structured CAN bus connecting a CS 3, boosters and terminals and which cables were used.

Best regards

Wolfgang
Offline Thewolf  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2018 12:50:58(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post

Here's what I have:

1 - CS3+
1 - CS2
4 - Boosters 60174
6 - Power packs 60061
2 - terminals 60125
1 Cable 60123

Regards
Greg

Hello Greg,

the just published new security guideline from Märklin may help first to show

https://www.maerklin.de/.../Sicherheits-Vorgabe.pdf

on page 8 a picture of the structure and separations of a CS 3 and 5 boosters. Just the same amount of device you want to connect together. Important may be that there you see by the different colours where you shall seperate only the "Bahnstrom" (current) red alone. And where you shall seperate your devices completly "Bahnstrom" together with the "Masse" (mass) brown.

Here is a further picture of the digital architecture of Märklin systems.

https://www.maerklin.de/...emarchitektur_gesamt.pdf

In the picture you find your cable 60123 too. This 60123 is the basic cable for building the CAN bus. You start between the two CS. In the manual (English section) for a 60216 page 8 you see little graphic symbols with its description beside. These graphic symbols you find at the jack bar of both of your CS. Or see at the CS manual page 4 with description of the various sockets, plugs and conncectors - which is which.

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/60216
see picture 5 from the left.

So you only have to connect the various jacks with the cable 60123.

The CAN bus input is a jack with 6 pins and the CAN bus output is a jack with 9 pins. Actually the pins are at the cable and at the CS are the sockets with the wholes. The 60123 cable is also used for connection and/or extension for the 60125/60145 the so called Terminal. On this terminal on the one side you have a jack with 9 wholes and on the other side at the short cable is the plug with the 9 pins. So is it at mine 60145 terminal. But my information is that it is identical with the 60125 except the colour. At each longer side of the terminal you have 2 jacks with 7 wholes. This is the Märklin device connection with 7 pins. The same socket you also find at the CS 3 plus between the input and output devices. This Märklin device jack is e.g. for connecting booster or the L88 link.

Hopefully you understand my insufficient English description. Be aware please that the difference in the CAN bus signs is only a very little triangle. For the output device it stands on the peak point, for the input device it stands on the line segment in opposite of the peak point.

And please do not forget to program inside your both CS all these connections, which is the master and which is the slave of your controllers.

An further example of the Märklin digital structure you see at the CS 3 PDF-manual

download:
https://static.maerklin....065db123781498138103.pdf

on page 38 for a CS 3+ and on page 39 for the CS 3. There is also the article number listed at the applicable device, cable, box, etc.

Because of the different pins and sockets in the various jacks and if you are a little bit concentrated you cannot do very much wrong.

In the Mäerklin Magazine 05/2017 page 25 (page 6 of the PDF file)

https://www.maerklin.de/...setzen-Folge_1_und_2.pdf

you see another easy and clearly structured CAN bus connecting a CS 3, boosters and terminals and which cables were used.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang Cool .

The documentation you attach is very interesting but for me it is unfortunately unusable: most of the documents are in German and I don't see myself doing a copy-paste if it is

possible for a translation by deepl Crying

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2018 17:26:10(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

Hi Wolfgang Cool .

The documentation you attach is very interesting but for me it is unfortunately unusable: most of the documents are in German and I don't see myself doing a copy-paste if it is

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Hello Thewolf,

correct this language problem always exists. I agree with you about this new Märklin security guidline. It helps a lot for calculating your electric power consumption for a layout in different sizes. Never saw this from Märklin before. I am trying to translate these 14 German pages and I have to confess, this technical stuff is not as easy as I thought. Even the translating software gives me strange, not helpful translations. Again it tells me, KI or AI (artificial intelligence) is not exisitng, only a marketing gag.

But the CS 3 manual contains 6 different languages. And every page number in each language equals to all other languages and this manual is the major publication for reading.

The other sources are more or less only listed showing pictures, graphics, diagrams about the system and construction of a CAN bus, which I tried to explain the connection between the various devices. Obviously my explanations are not good enough. Where is it unusable to you?

Have a nice weekend

Wolfgang
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2018 17:52:12(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post

Hi Wolfgang Cool .

Have a nice day

Thewolf

Hello Thewolf,

correct this language problem always exists. I agree with you about this new Märklin security guidline. It helps a lot for calculating your electric power consumption for a layout in different sizes. Never saw this from Märklin before. I am trying to translate these 14 German pages and I have to confess, this technical stuff is not as easy as I thought. Even the translating software gives me strange, not helpful translations. Again it tells me, KI or AI (artificial intelligence) is not exisitng, only a marketing gag.

But the CS 3 manual contains 6 different languages. And every page number in each language equals to all other languages and this manual is the major publication for reading.

The other sources are more or less only listed showing pictures, graphics, diagrams about the system and construction of a CAN bus, which I tried to explain the connection between the various devices. Obviously my explanations are not good enough. Where is it unusable to you?

Have a nice weekend

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Cool

Don't worry about it.

I have my source of information, my friend and dealer Mike from Westend trains Etobicoke. I told him this morning about what I had seen in your diagram about the 60145 and 60126 and he and I concluded that 2x 60145 and some 60126 would be useful to me for my 2 x 60175. Look at page 25 of your 5th document: my layout is identical

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf