Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2018 18:37:46(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
One of the best model train Christmas commercial I’ve seen in a long time!

Regards,

Michel
thanks 35 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline utkan  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2018 19:52:10(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
What else can be better than that blue transformator?Love
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2018 20:01:31(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

Regards,

Michel

Indeed. Made me a bit teary eyed when I watched it on YouTube on my large screen TV yesterday. The quality of the production is so high I had thoughts that this is part of a much larger production or even film. Very well made.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2018 21:52:02(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi, just a great video. We need more of these.

HANNES.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hannes Porsche
Offline cliff24g  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2018 08:26:04(UTC)
cliff24g

I was so moved by this comercial that I shared the video on some other model train sites. The responses have been moving and heartfelt by the memories between a grandson and grandfather. Every saturday were usualy spent with my grandfather, who I called Papa. In San Francisco, Marklin trains were on display and sold at two department stores; The White House and I. Magnin. I was with my grandfather when he purchased it for me at I. Magnin. Seeing the comercial brought a flood of powerful pleasant memories of grandfather and this beautiful Marklin train. Thank you Papa!! Thank you Marklin!!Gift from my grandfather.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cliff24g
Offline Troy Yang  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2018 08:58:50(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
Very well done. Yes. Thank you to Märklin.
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2018 15:52:27(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Regards, Michel

As you say, what a lovely video commercial for a change.

Regards,

PJ
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 23 October 2018 01:22:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Troy Yang Go to Quoted Post
Very well done. Yes. Thank you to Märklin.

I totally agree. BigGrin

Actually I have never seen a better depiction of the joy of model railroading done in such a short space of time. These trains were once real and important in people's lives, but now they only truly live on in our imaginations and models. Whatever your personal motivation is, a MRR allows you to revisit a time long gone and interact with it in a real and not a virtual way. This link between the young man and his forefather who actually worked the steam rails shows how magical this hobby can be. Cool

I bet that we all know this personally, in a very visceral way - we are model railroaders. But efforts like this can help pass the love to a new generation and keep this amazing hobby alive.

Props to Florian Sieber who is leading Märklin's efforts to revitalize this hobby for Märklin and a lot of other companies as well. I bet that this ad was his doing as part of that important campaign. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline analogmike  
#9 Posted : 23 October 2018 14:30:28(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Crazy Harry  
#10 Posted : 31 October 2018 17:04:19(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   

Regards,

Michel

The industry has recognize the ad and its creators as well:

Adweek article

Great ad, I hope it and the special starter pack associated with it are successful!

Cheers,

Harold.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline michelvr  
#11 Posted : 31 October 2018 18:20:30(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Chances are the industry recognizes that there is validity in this forum because we knew about the video when it hit the big screen! Okay my iPad is only 9” but it's a big enough screen for me!Flapper

Remember whoever, whatever, wherever and whenever anything happens you'll read it here first on the Marklin-users.net forum! Because we're the ones who keeps the industry going.Cool as long as we don't die off first!Laugh

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 01 November 2018 05:12:47(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Hannes Porsche Go to Quoted Post
Hi, just a great video. We need more of these.

HANNES.

Have a look here

https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2018/track1/

scroll down, then you see the video "Making of track 1"

Then switch to the German version at Märklin's homepage and you get (sorry only in German) the layout, nice screen saver, etc of Track 1.

https://www.maerklin.de/...&utm_source=facebook

https://www.maerklin.de/...lp/18/Gleis1/Gleis_1.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...rmschoner.1539318052.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 02 November 2018 18:41:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 12 November 2018 19:58:26(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Super nice video and I am going to purchase the track one set. Big shame that those in the USA cannot partake in the special offers thru Marklin and get the watch and savings on the set. Only those overseas and in the UK seem worthy enough to Marklin it seems. I will let it slide but come on M, you can do better for those of us in the USA that love the trains of Europe and Marklin in particular. I need to freeze frame the video and see what station kit most closely matches the one we get a glimpse of when the scene pans away above the train. AD.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2018 22:52:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
I need to freeze frame the video and see what station kit most closely matches the one we get a glimpse of when the scene pans away above the train. AD.

Look at the 'making of Gleis 1 Video', they are using a Kibri model.

Offline artfull dodger  
#16 Posted : 13 November 2018 23:13:33(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thanks, I found the links further down the page as to which Kibri kit they used. Looks like a fairly easy kitbash but I think it takes 2 kits to build it the way they did. Should make for a fun project! Hats off to Marklin for one of the best model train commercials I have seen. Shame that nobody in the USA takes this kind of approach to reviving the hobby. A regular spot during "prime time" evening TV broadcasting would do wonders to reawaken the hobby IMHO. If that video was redubbed in English and broadcast in the USA, even with the German theme to the trains, the effect would be the same.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 16 November 2018 00:12:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, I found the links further down the page as to which Kibri kit they used. Looks like a fairly easy kitbash but I think it takes 2 kits to build it the way they did. Should make for a fun project! Hats off to Marklin for one of the best model train commercials I have seen. Shame that nobody in the USA takes this kind of approach to reviving the hobby. A regular spot during "prime time" evening TV broadcasting would do wonders to reawaken the hobby IMHO. If that video was redubbed in English and broadcast in the USA, even with the German theme to the trains, the effect would be the same.

I have just been looking at the 'making of Gleis 1' video, and I believe you only need one kit to make the station. However I would suggest that you be quick ordering it as the Lokshop web page suggests it may not still be on the production line, it looks like once existing stock goes, then that is it. Lokshop has it for around Euro 30 (Kibri #39366).

Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 26 November 2018 22:19:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin Pocket watch is now available - Ref number 322449 at 20 EUR.

But it will be free pocketwatch plus free catalogue/brochure with coupons from Marklin after fill in at site - https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2018/track1/ offer end 31 December 2018.

There is also coupon for 29013 starter set offer 199.99 EUR (70.00 EUR off RRP).

I got coupons from Marklin and send to lokshop for 29013 offer and free watch.Wink
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline artfull dodger  
#19 Posted : 27 November 2018 00:43:45(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Its to bad that Marklin doesn't see fit to include the USA in the special offers, atleast the watch is available at a price for those not in the special offer area. Marklin should do a special version of the Mobile Station control in the same blue plastic that was used for those older transformers. That would be really neat to see. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline SteamNut  
#20 Posted : 28 November 2018 13:36:19(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I too was moved with this commercial, almost to tears. One of my favorite authors, Terry Pratchett, wrote Raising Steam and did a great job putting in written word why we are so fascinated with trains especially with steam.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 28 November 2018 15:21:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Marklin Pocket watch is now available - Ref number 322449 at 20 EUR.

But it will be free pocketwatch plus free catalogue/brochure with coupons from Marklin after fill in at site - https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2018/track1/ offer end 31 December 2018.

There is also coupon for 29013 starter set offer 199.99 EUR (70.00 EUR off RRP).

I got coupons from Marklin and send to lokshop for 29013 offer and free watch.Wink

I got a free pocket watch without filling in any coupons or buying the Gleis 1 set ... BigGrin

Note that the pocket watch doesn't have a watch in it. You can change the indicated time by twirling the knob on the top, but as far as I can ascertain there is no actual clock working inside it.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Nigel Packer  
#22 Posted : 29 November 2018 09:18:04(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

I got a free pocket watch without filling in any coupons or buying the Gleis 1 set ... BigGrin

Note that the pocket watch doesn't have a watch in it. You can change the indicated time by twirling the knob on the top, but as far as I can ascertain there is no actual clock working inside it.

Yes, there is a clock. Mine tells the time, but I haven’t found a way to adjust it yet!

Ben‘s fell apart as soon as he opened it, so I wonder if any of them actually works completely!

There’s a tiny white part that has to be removed to start the watch, I think. And there seems to be a small thumb notch on the back where I presume it opens to change the battery, but I can’t make it open (I don’t want to try and force it).

The watch is a lovely-looking thing, but the build quality is not quite in the same realm as a Rolex!

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline MalinAC  
#23 Posted : 29 November 2018 11:33:31(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Guys if your after a good watch go Swiss like my 1905 Omega pocket watch which still keeps perfect time .Dont expect to get a good watch from Marklin. Eddie
Offline kiwiAlan  
#24 Posted : 29 November 2018 15:53:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Yes, there is a clock. Mine tells the time, but I haven’t found a way to adjust it yet!

Ben‘s fell apart as soon as he opened it, so I wonder if any of them actually works completely!

There’s a tiny white part that has to be removed to start the watch, I think. And there seems to be a small thumb notch on the back where I presume it opens to change the battery, but I can’t make it open (I don’t want to try and force it).

The watch is a lovely-looking thing, but the build quality is not quite in the same realm as a Rolex!

Nigel

Ah, OK. I hadn't got around to investigating the back yet. I only found that by pulling the knob at the top up I could turn the hands, then the knob free wheels when pushed in.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#25 Posted : 29 November 2018 15:59:41(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   

Ah, OK. I hadn't got around to investigating the back yet. I only found that by pulling the knob at the top up I could turn the hands, then the knob free wheels when pushed in.

I've worked out how to adjust the time now! Still haven't opened the back . . .

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline jvuye  
#26 Posted : 29 November 2018 17:51:51(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
Guys if your after a good watch go Swiss like my 1905 Omega pocket watch which still keeps perfect time .Dont expect to get a good watch from Marklin. Eddie

Sorry Eddie
But you'll have to change your opinion there Wink : this one was made by ITS in Switzerland for the 140th anniversary of Märklin GMBH
It as a high precision automatic caliber and is at par with Longines and Omega in terms of quality and precision

And it's also completely in the subject of this post: it's a present from my grandson! (Yes another Märklin lover!) that some people have met! (Hi Nigel, Mike, Dave, Dreadnought, etc..)

+ mARKLINPB290279.jpg

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline MalinAC  
#27 Posted : 30 November 2018 09:11:55(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
A very nice watch from a good maker indeed, but how good will it still work in 113 years like my Omega. Eddie BigGrin BigGrin