Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2018 22:48:50(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Who else enjoys the Maxi line of tinplate gauge one here? I stumbled onto this line in person at a large scale hobby shop that had a few pieces that came in with a collection. I went home that day with a pair of UP F units, pair of UP passenger cars, UP caboose and a Western Pacific box car. One of the 2 F units is partialy done into the Chessie System colors for my wife(need to get decals to finish it up). The powered unit had its digital stuff removed and converted to onboard battery power to run on my outdoor/indoor railway. I upgraded the headlights to something a bit more prototypical including a working Mars light. Not really bright enough but better that stock for now. I just bought the two tone green DB electric locomotive and a box car to start my European collection and give me cars to pull with my Aster SBB Eb 3/5 live steamer. Its a shame that Marklin discontinued this line of trains, although its place was taken by the LGB line they aquired about the same time as the end of the Maxi line. I really enjoy the tinplate "shine" as I enjoyed prewar tinplate Lionel trains for many years. The shiny paint really picks up the twinkle of the lights on the Christmas tree on the holiday layout! Post up your Maxi pics! Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2018 01:11:10(UTC)
applor

Australia   
My dad has some 1 gauge including a maxi Glaskasten BR98. I upgraded the decoder and added sound to it, runs a lot better than the original Delta decoder.

The maxis are great for their price, though if money were not an issue he'd love a 1 gauge Croc or BR44 etc. but whos got $4k for that?
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2018 01:50:20(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I agree, the prices for the standard line Gauge one locomotives are a king's ransom. Definatly a whole different league of income to afford those. I would like to find one of the older P38 4-6-0 locomotives one of these days when funds permit. For now, plenty of Maxi that I dont own yet. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2018 03:07:27(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I was an N gauger when I first returned to the hobby while in Europe years ago. I started buying the MAXI line of trains because they were fun and looked great around the Christmas tree. When I got ready to “gauge up” to HO, I didn’t think twice about a brand or system: Maerklin meant quality and reliability... and still does for me. I’ve picked up a few more pieces since moving back and still have a few more on my wish list.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2018 03:21:32(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I would love to find someone that stocks Maxi parts for the F units, would like to find the better headlight reflector set up that was used in the engines that came after the UP version. Those have a poor set up for the headlights. I put an HO scale constant lighting circuit with Mars light in my powered unit, looks great indoors but not bright enough outdoors.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline grnwtrs  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2018 21:37:39(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
I agree, the prices for the standard line Gauge one locomotives are a king's ransom. Definatly a whole different league of income to afford those. I would like to find one of the older P38 4-6-0 locomotives one of these days when funds permit. For now, plenty of Maxi that I dont own yet. Mike

For a slightly different perspective, come west young man, and visit the 2019 Euro west train show, sponsored by the San Francisco ETE Chapter.

Usually held last week of July near bed and board, and close to San Francisco/airport. Quite an assortment of Euro/non Euro goodies. Prices for maxi much
much better than E bayFlapper /classified/other organizations.

I have gradually added pieces and more pieces, with smiles go go around.Love

Regards,
gene

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline schnell20v  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2018 00:38:52(UTC)
schnell20v

United States   
Hello,
I too have a interest and collect Maxi Trains. I usually set them up for Christmas around the tree with a village display. I wish I could have a permanent display but the size of my house doesn't permit. I usually troll Ebay to see what I can purchase for my collection when my wife and funds allow. Glad to see other people interested in them.

Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2018 01:51:37(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
While this year the Christmas tree layout has a LGB Stainz set circling the tree, I can swap in my Maxi Elok at any time if its battery is charged. As my outdoor line is battery power or live steam. Both of my Maxi engines have had their track pickups removed and onboard circuit boards removed as well and replaced with a rechargable battery pack. The UP F units are my wife's, one being partialy repainted to Chessie system, we got them cheap as the original boards were fried. The green Elok I got off ebay, and its boards are good and saved in the box incase I ever sell it, I can return it to as built by M. You can see it up on the shelf along with my Regner SKGLB Stainz type and Konrad live steamers. My new HO Emslandbahn is being built below the shelves, featuring the Langer Heinrich ore train. Mike the Aspie
UserPostedImage
Offline 9azizz  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2018 16:47:17(UTC)
9azizz

Hi,

I run 4 old Maxi gauge 1 locomotives on my LGB layout and they have been fitted with ESU decoders and smoke generators . I managed to find wagons from different sources ( tin type ) mixed with some newer stock from Marklin one of which is the track cleaning wagon and although expensive the level of quality and detail are a big attraction plus the fact that they run fine on LGB/ Piko G scale tracks .
Offline artfull dodger  
#10 Posted : 20 December 2018 17:24:14(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I run my Maxi on LGB track as that is what I have. The majority of my large scale is narrow gauge, so it looks good on that type of track. If I had the depth of wallet to go gauge 1, I would do it in a heartbeat. I love the look and detail of true gauge 1 trains. For now my Maxi E Lok fills that need at a price I was able to afford. Mike the Aspie