Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HO Collector  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2018 21:20:38(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Next Friday (5/10) at 21:00h a program about model trains.

Edited by moderator 11 February 2019 00:49:21(UTC)  | Reason: Added show title to thread title

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2018 21:38:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Yep will watch but I doubt Marklin or HO will appear. Hornby I expect and Peco but be to the fore.
About time though we had a model rail programme.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2018 22:40:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
5 series - Friday 8pm every week for next five weeks.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2018 22:45:21(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Well now in my opinion that was the most embarrassingly awful load of drivel that I have ever wasted an hour of my life on!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2018 23:36:30(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It look a Bake off.

Not very impressed.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2018 12:07:32(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Gave up half way through. I am not sure what they were trying to achieve but for me they certainly didn't achieve it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline twmarklinfan  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2018 12:54:10(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
I watched in after the family had gone to bed, as Steven said it’s Bakeoff. I fell asleep and missed a bit but can’t say it affected things at all.
I have recorded the series but not sure I will watch it......
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline hennabm  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2018 21:13:26(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Watched the first episode this afternoon. Well, I tried. Saw the first 15 minutes and then FF to the last 15 minutes.

I agree it is a bake off format. That Tim guy does the Car SOS show in UK with Fuzz Townsend. He is as annoying in that as he is this.

I'll probably do the same with the next episodes and miss out the nonsense.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Ian M  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2018 15:50:42(UTC)
Ian M

United Kingdom   
Anyone who was expecting "exhibition standard" modelling or in-depth coverage of techniques and skills was always going to be disappointed.

First and foremost it is TV entertainment so it has to be easy to follow, have an element of competition/jeopardy and have some individuals/teams that you want to succeed/fail.

It did all that quite well.

Given the constraints (size of board, build time, budget, allowable commercial offereings, etc.) the winners produced an excellent model.

Bske Off has evolved over a number of series to a very slick presentation and this is in a similar mould. It won't win devoted fans amongst the serious modellers but as a bit of fun and, dare I say it, good publicity it is absolute gold.

(The Missenden team were people who had been on courses there, rather than the elite professionals they were presented as. That's entertainment.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian M
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2018 12:58:15(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
A lost chance to show what a good hobby model rail is. What materials were used and what track and locos etc were never mentioned. Nothing to encourage anybody to take up model rail in my view.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Rwill  
#11 Posted : 10 October 2018 12:52:30(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
So there is a general consensus (almost) about this programme. Now I may be slightly out of sync as I will admit that a portion of my evening yesterday was spent watching Bake Off. My daughter then pointed out to me a show on Channel 4 which I have never seen called Extreme cake makers where on 28th September a lady called Rosie Drummer researched and made 100Kg of iced cake which incorporated a running layout and a beautiful steam engine in cake. If you can stand it its on Catch up!!!! - cant give you any links or photos at present.
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2018 00:29:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I watched the repeat of the Model Railway Challenge today. I have to say that I was not as disappointed as I thought I would be after some of the comments here. Given the constraints of the competition in terms of time I think the teams did a good job to get their layouts going (with various degrees of success).

I don't think any audience would really have enjoyed an in-depth discussion of tree-making or weathering techniques. The coverage of the technical aspects of the hobby (such as track laying and scenic treatment) will never be more than superficial so as to maintain the interest of the general public. Instead we were treated to some fun cameo scenes and working models, and of course some nice model trains running at realistic speeds!

As with other similar programmes they used well known people for the judges. Steve Flint in particular, as editor of Railway Modeller magazine, added a degree of professional authority to the competition.

I actually find myself looking forward to the next one!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
MrB32  
#13 Posted : 12 October 2018 01:36:33(UTC)

I found it quite enjoyable: simple entertainment, not to be taken seriously, with little pedagogic value. I think a few dads might even get a nudge from junior to get them something like what they see on TV for Christmas....

A minor disappointment from my side is the lack of younger contestants. After watching this program, one could think the hobby attracts mostly middle aged potbellied men, which we all know couldn't be further from the truthBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Nothing wrong with a bit of light entertainment from time to time, i'll watch the second episode...
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2018 21:45:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I watched both episodes that have been broadcast thus far today, and while I agree with the "Bake Off for Model Railways" comment i did find it reasonable light entertainment for a Sunday afternoon. They could have done with some time lapse shots showing progress on the better done layouts so you could see the progress being made, especially as the scenery was progressed.

I thought the scratch build challenge brought out some real inventiveness, the results of some of those were excellent considering they had only one working day to do it, even though there were some contestants who thought it a waste of time.

In both cases we worked out who the winner was before the judging actually happened, but I don't recognise either of the judges. I haven't kept track of who the editors of the MRR magazines and there are four major ones in the UK. But who the woman is I have absolutely no idea.

I don't know how one got onto the show, I hadn't heard of it until I saw the broadcast advertised in the TV schedules. I presume there was some advertisement inviting contestants to apply in some magazine or other.

I'll keep watching it for the light entertainment.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Michael4  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2018 17:39:55(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I didn't enjoy the first episode at all but the second seemed much more enjoyable. I don't know why, perhaps I expected them to be wiring up old Marklin signals or a recalcitrant turntable.

Anyway, happy to watch it now and particularly liked the man with a pneumatic drill actuated by an electric toothbrush!

Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2018 23:16:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I didn't enjoy the first episode at all but the second seemed much more enjoyable. I don't know why, perhaps I expected them to be wiring up old Marklin signals or a recalcitrant turntable.

Anyway, happy to watch it now and particularly liked the man with a pneumatic drill actuated by an electric toothbrush!

When I saw that I figured they had used a Noch pneumatic drill figure, but it turned out to be scratchbuilt from a much cheaper source ... BigGrin

Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 18 October 2018 11:02:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Watch series 2 last night

Not a bad round, BBQ pots to build make a UFO spacecraft.ThumpUp

Blackadder layout build by Callum Wilcox was the winner round.

Offline Rwill  
#18 Posted : 22 October 2018 15:55:23(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Family and friends describe me as a grumpy old sod. Currently I am six weeks into recovery from total knee replacement surgery which went very well, and I am making good progress. However, I have been upgraded to VERY grumpy old sod. My dreams of three months of undisturbed train room pleasure have been thwarted by my layouts needs for acrobatics, stretching and kneeling none of which I can currently perform. So, I watch endless crap TV at most times day and night. I also have a problem currently with a concentration span of about 15 minutes before I become restless for change.

So last Thursday evening I was flicking though the channels and came across the last few minutes of the latest episode of the model railway thing. The model railways were to me of very low standard, with emphasis on “special effects” Dinosaurs etc which have never been a part of the hobby I know and love. The judge who is the editor of Railway modeller looked entirely underwhelmed but smiled as he was probably going to pick up a good appearance fee for simply being there and could plug his publication discreetly. The lady judge was one of those bossy strict boring women who knew nothing about the subject but felt her opinion was important and indisputable. The contestants were picked to fit a stereotype that people believe makes a “railway modeller”. So, the grumpiness made me flick onto something else before the few minutes was up.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 22 October 2018 17:06:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Family and friends describe me as a grumpy old sod. Currently I am six weeks into recovery from total knee replacement surgery which went very well, and I am making good progress. However, I have been upgraded to VERY grumpy old sod. My dreams of three months of undisturbed train room pleasure have been thwarted by my layouts needs for acrobatics, stretching and kneeling none of which I can currently perform. So, I watch endless crap TV at most times day and night. I also have a problem currently with a concentration span of about 15 minutes before I become restless for change.

So last Thursday evening I was flicking though the channels and came across the last few minutes of the latest episode of the model railway thing. The model railways were to me of very low standard, with emphasis on “special effects” Dinosaurs etc which have never been a part of the hobby I know and love. The judge who is the editor of Railway modeller looked entirely underwhelmed but smiled as he was probably going to pick up a good appearance fee for simply being there and could plug his publication discreetly. The lady judge was one of those bossy strict boring women who knew nothing about the subject but felt her opinion was important and indisputable. The contestants were picked to fit a stereotype that people believe makes a “railway modeller”. So, the grumpiness made me flick onto something else before the few minutes was up.

Agree with that. The contestants I believe are good model makers but they are asked to make stupid layouts which the producers appear to think will appeal. I expect 90% or more who watch this will already be into the hobby and may well like me feel sorry for those involved with a task that does nothing for them. For those watching who may be thinking of taking up the hobby I can not see why the programmes would encourage them as no explanation (even if only in passing) is given as to how the locos are run etc. A chap with a fishing rod with a supposed space ship on the end coming into land makes me cringe.
A decent programme about building a proper model railway layout from making the baseboards to the finished article would in my view be more beneficial for the hobby and those wanting to start or folk like us looking for new ideas.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
MrB32  
#20 Posted : 22 October 2018 23:31:32(UTC)

I couldn't care less about the program... But at this point in time, what really would be beneficial for the hobby are hoards of young people who would hassle their parents for a train set... May be a bit of non educational family entertainment might contribute to increased sales, and make the hobby appear approachable.

There is a bit more to the hobby than the high quality rendition of a given part of the world with matching rolling stock and locos... There are a lot of enthusiasts who see the hobby as a way to express creativity, explore technology or simply run trains.. and there is nothing wrong with any of the approaches in my view.

- Want to build a 100% accurate model of Berlin Anhalter Bahnhof in the 1930s? Go for it
- Want to put a space ship on top of the village church? Go for it!
- Want to pull a set of Donnerbüchsen with an E120? Go for it!
- Want to stage the destruction of London Waterloo station by Godzilla? Go for it!
- Want to scratch build your tracks and points? Go for it!
- Want to set-up an oval on your carpet and watch trains go in circle? Go for it!

It is all about having fun in the end....
Offline mikemasey  
#21 Posted : 03 December 2018 05:09:20(UTC)
mikemasey

Australia   
As others have said, this show does nothing to getting rid of the stereo type view of rail model makers.
Skilled modelers using heaps of new and good quality equipment can obviously make a good job!
So much nit picking, rivet counters!!!!!!!!
Not really like the most of us that model on a very tight budget!
Not Laugh for me but I did like the layout with the dino's and space ships.

Good for ideas though.

mike.javascript:insertsmiley('Laugh ','/forum/Images/Emoticons/msp_laugh.gif')
Offline steventrain  
#22 Posted : 03 December 2018 17:49:36(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I hear Great Model Railway Challenge will be back next year.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Carim  
#23 Posted : 03 December 2018 18:36:05(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Whatever reservations I may have about the format of the programme, I think it is great that a television company is making programmes about our hobby. No such thing as bad publicity and the model railway industry needs all the help it can get!

Carim
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#24 Posted : 10 February 2019 09:52:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
In a recent conversation with one of our club members, he mentioned regarding a model railroad competition which was held in the UK and broadcast on UK Channel 5. ‘The Great Model Railroad Challenge’ pits teams of 6 against each other in which the teams have 3 days to completely build a model railroad to a specific theme that is set for each episode. Winning teams progress to the final, where they meet the other winning teams. The show consists of 6 episodes, and since they are all on Youtube I thought I would share the links with you.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6 - Competition Final

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Rwill  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2019 10:34:42(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
There has already been at least one thread on this topic which stirred up differing opinions from "the locals"

https://www.marklin-user...sts/t41239-Channel-5--UK

In the interests of efficient moderation you may which to merge said topics

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#26 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:03:58(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

The bossy grumpy lady was Kathy Millatt. She was, until recently, the NMRA Atlantic representative. She has a superb double stack US outline HO layout and brilliant blog at Kathy Millatt blog. I admit to being a great fan but she didn’t come over very well in that programme
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline MaerklinLife  
#27 Posted : 11 February 2019 06:30:22(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
...and since they are all on Youtube I thought I would share the links with you.

Thanks, but since they are all copyrighted they are taken down faster than anyone can watch them. Us without Channel 5 will just have to wait for someone to purchase the right to broadcast the show.

I managed to watch a few episodes.

I think the show is fine. Yes, it might not be a show for a "true modeller", but the point is entertainment. I am pretty sure that a guy sitting at a bench doing actual high quality modelling will be boring to most people. Making it a competition and setting a few rules puts a much more exciting element into the show.

What I did not like was the way that some of the people was presented a bit "goofy" (no pun intended) and some more than arrogant (the super fine scale type guys). One could say that they asked for it with their comments. Are people really that arrogant in public?

I like the point of view that Kathy Millard takes, I usually agreed with her, the other judge I don't know.

That being said, I am not a fan of space themed layouts, and layouts with Santa's Workshop or what ever. I think they have little to do with model railways. But that is my point of view, and I am sure that there are someone out there who finds it fascinating. If shows like this can get people started, no matter what sparks the interest, I welcome the effort.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 11 February 2019 06:52:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Episodes 1 and 5 are still working on users.net....

Only playback on other sites such as users.net is disabled, you can still go to Youtube and play them there.

Right click on one of the videos above and select Copy Video URL. Paste that into a new browser window.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 11 February 2019 15:04:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

I like the point of view that Kathy Millard takes, I usually agreed with her, the other judge I don't know.

The other judge is the editor of the Peco publication Railway Modeller, the companion publication to Continental Modeller.

I had never heard of Kathy Millard until i saw those programs.

Offline LongHairedDavid  
#30 Posted : 11 February 2019 15:54:52(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

The other judge is the editor of the Peco publication Railway Modeller, the companion publication to Continental Modeller.

I had never heard of Kathy Millard until i saw those programs.

Kathy Millatt - highly respected modeller in the USA -
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline Minok  
#31 Posted : 11 February 2019 18:14:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'd been watching Kathy Millat 's modeling videos for over a year, (her older stuff is more ON her attic model railway, the recent stuff is all focused on kitchen table diorama building, which I find less interesting).
Kathy is active in the NMRA via the UK.
The show itself was pointless, it was the normal tv-make-artificial-tension nonsense, that isn't so much model railway but just do alot of stuff in limited time with a model rail theme behind it..
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134