Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skukuza  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2018 20:56:31(UTC)
skukuza

New Zealand   
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to load sounds etc to a mSD (not mSD3) decoder using the CS3?
I have downloaded the old tgz files from the Marklin website onto a mem stick and clicked the update button in loco edit but it just keeps giving me an error notification.
I have even tried by setting the decoder to factory settings but no luck.
The CS2 methodology doesn't quite apply to the CS3 and I can't find anything on the Marklin website for the CS3.
I have also tried using the path on the latest mDecoderTool3.
Any ideas??
Kevin
Offline gamolina  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2018 20:10:49(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello, I had had the same problem and I wrote to Märklin support!
Unfortunatelly you can not do it with CS3, you need a CS2 or a decoder MSd programer (not the last for MSD/L 3)
All msD files are not suitable to CS3

Greetings Guillermo
Offline gamolina  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2018 20:12:41(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
I f you find a Cs2, there is a German tutorial in Märklin support page,
Follow the pictures, but leave it loading more than 15 minutes as the video says....
Offline skukuza  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2018 21:08:53(UTC)
skukuza

New Zealand   
Thanks Guillermo.
That is amazing as you would have thought that the CS3 is backward compatible with all files.
I do have a programming stick but as you say it does not support mSD decoders.
Gosh this makes the CS2 is a very valuable piece of equipment!!??
Kevin

Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2018 21:12:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: skukuza Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to load sounds etc to a mSD (not mSD3) decoder using the CS3?
I have downloaded the old tgz files from the Marklin website onto a mem stick and clicked the update button in loco edit but it just keeps giving me an error notification.
I have even tried by setting the decoder to factory settings but no luck.
The CS2 methodology doesn't quite apply to the CS3 and I can't find anything on the Marklin website for the CS3.
I have also tried using the path on the latest mDecoderTool3.
Any ideas??
Kevin

Here is a Märklin documentations and a YouTube video (of course only in German - sorry - perhaps this translator helps a bit - https://www.deepl.com/translator) for your question.

https://www.maerklin.de/...1_Sounds_Hinzufuegen.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...oderTool3_A5_Deutsch.pdf

https://www.maerklin.de/...n/Leitfaden_online_D.pdf

http://downloads.cdn.re-...LOK_MIT_LEITERPLATTE.pdf

and another thread at marklin-users.net on this topic

https://www.marklin-user...unds-in-mSD-3#post575894

I cannot tell you, if it is working. Because I never have done it yet and I have the video (link above) I did not follow up to the end. But doing your own sound on a mSD/3 is possible but should not be very easy as a Märklin employee explained to me at one of these Märklin digital days.
Offline skukuza  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2018 21:21:36(UTC)
skukuza

New Zealand   
Yes TEEwolf,
I know all this but it is the sMD decoders I'm talking about not mSD3.
Thanks anyway.
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2018 22:26:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
You may use the mDT to upload a file to the CS3 (as though it was a CS2) for staging
(accepts only files up to 2M though - anything bigger and you get a "...too large" error )

Do not use the mDT to trigger the update into the decoder remotely, instead go to the CS3 and perform the update from there.
Peter
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2018 01:20:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: skukuza Go to Quoted Post
Yes TEEwolf,
I know all this but it is the sMD decoders I'm talking about not mSD3.
Thanks anyway.

Well the major problem for me is: you do not provide an article number of the decoder. Märklin says that you may use a mDT/3 also for mSD decoders, but not for every function. Same is with the mSD/3 decoders, which are built in new locos by Märklin.

E.g. the Insider 103 long. It has a mSD/3 decoder inside by Märklin. Märklin writes not all functions can be programmed with the mSD/3 as you can do with a single seperate upgrade mSD/3. I did not test it.

But by the way, programming a decoder can be done by a CS too. The programming stick is not necessary. But you need a much longer time and it is not as convenient as with a stick.
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2018 04:55:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

Well the major problem for me is: you do not provide an article number of the decoder. Märklin says that you may use a mDT/3 also for mSD decoders, but not for every function. Same is with the mSD/3 decoders, which are built in new locos by Märklin.

E.g. the Insider 103 long. It has a mSD/3 decoder inside by Märklin. Märklin writes not all functions can be programmed with the mSD/3 as you can do with a single seperate upgrade mSD/3. I did not test it.

But by the way, programming a decoder can be done by a CS too. The programming stick is not necessary. But you need a much longer time and it is not as convenient as with a stick.

I do not think anything in this reply is helpful or warranted

The very first post in this thread states ... mSD(not mSD/3)
Any subsequent reference to mSD/3 is superfluous - actually worse, it is confusing static.
Similarly reference to "the programming stick" (its name is "Decoder Programmer" , 60971 or maybe mDP/3) has no meaning with the mSD
While "programming a decoder can be done by a CS too" may be valid, the real , show stopping, issue is actually getting the sound file into the CS3.
Peter
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2018 16:56:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

Similarly reference to "the programming stick" (its name is "Decoder Programmer" , 60971 or maybe mDP/3) has no meaning with the mSD

I wouldn't describe this as static (noise) on this thread, as I have certainly been under the impression that the 60971 would program the earlier series decoders. However I don't (yet) own a 60971, nor do I have any experience programming earlier decoders, but I am getting the impression (from this thread) that programming the older decoder series is limited to CVs. As such it IS useful information.

Admittedly it would be more useful if the correct names (as used by the manufacturer) for devices are used.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 29 September 2018 23:18:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

I do not think anything in this reply is helpful or warranted

And what do you think would have been helpful? Unfortunately you wrote not very much about this.

Quote:
The very first post in this thread states ... mSD(not mSD/3)
Any subsequent reference to mSD/3 is superfluous - actually worse, it is confusing static.

Sorry you confusing me now. There is no mDP/3 existing. However, I understand what you want to say. The official name is “Märklin Decoder Programmer” or short mDP with art #60971. And yes, on Märklin's homepage the heading is only “Decoder-Programmer”. Anyway the hardware contains always two parts. An adapter for the decoder and a stick with an USB connector for the computer. But this one is only hardware and exists by 2 pieces, an adapter and a stick. Märklin named it in its book art #03070 “(Wieder-) Einsteigen in die Märklin Modellbahn”

https://www.modellbahnsh...-de-p-0/ein_produkt.html

on page 114 “Decoder-Programmer: Adapter plus Stick”.

But this is only the hardware. For programming a decoder you must have both, hardware and software. And the most important part for programming a decoder is the software. There are 2 different ones existing and available.

First the “Märklin Decoder Tool” (mDT) software which is only usable for the mSD 60940, 60945, 60946, 60947, 60948, 60949, 60965, 60966, 60967 and mLD 60942, 60962.

https://www.maerklin.de/...mldmsd/mdecodertool-mdt/
(make a click on the empty grey button - a red tickmark comes up and more information)

Second the “Märklin Decoder Tool“ (mDT3) software, which is named mDT3 and only usable for the new generation mSD3 60975, 60976, 60977, 60978, 60979, 60985, 60986, 60987 und mLD3 60972, 60982.

https://www.maerklin.de/...3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3/
(make a click on the empty grey button - a red tickmark comes up and more information)

Yes, Märklin confuses by naming two different software versions for different types of decoders by the same fully written name. Only by its abbreviations they refer to their type of decoder mSD or mSD3. But for both you are using the hardware mDP 60971.

Quote:
While "programming a decoder can be done by a CS too" may be valid, the real , show stopping, issue is actually getting the sound file into the CS3.

Well, again this is not perfectly correct, because it is not the programming (this had to be done always at a computer with the available software from the Märklin homepage), it is the transfer of data from a computer to a decoder. In Märklin Magazine 04/2016 page 55 at the bottom you find the following paragraph:

“What if I don't have a programmer?

The data transfer also works via a CS2, which is connected to the PC via a home network. In the Märklin Decoder-Tool 3 it appears white. For the transmission you click on the symbol, in which an arrow points to a slash. The program asks if a USB stick is connected. This is needed because the CS2 does not have its own memory for the files. After the "Yes" the program transfers the data to the stick. In the second step they are transferred to the locomotive. If none is actively indicated, although a model stands on the track, one should click on the locomotive symbol. At the latest then the program recognizes the model. Now the transmission can begin, with the eye symbol you can also test the decoder.”

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

You also can do it with a CS 3. But you always need an USB stick for transferring the data from the computer to the CS. For the CS 3 data transfer please read on page 115 in the book “Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3”

https://www.modellbahnsh...-de-p-0/ein_produkt.html

That is the way I see it – perhaps you see it different.