Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aclassifier  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2018 17:57:52(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
How can I possibly get the ability to program the CV registers? MM2 runs version 2.5 and is a 60657.

Both locos run mfx and sit on an isolated side track when I try. The MM2 sees them both, one at a time, but none allow CV modification.

I wanted to set register CV 50 to value 8 to disallow analogue modes, so that they would never (I assume) run away without control. This is related to [1]

[1]
Märklin 37514, SBB Ae 3/6 II SW update?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2018 18:20:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Disable mfx in the controller, which I assume is a MS2 (not MM2). Then register each loco as a DCC loco if they understand DCC. Once on you MS2 as a DCC loco you can read and modify cv's.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline aclassifier  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2018 19:00:46(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
I have tried the above, but I did not succed.

When i switched off mfx, by allowing either "DCC, MM2" or "DCC" only, the MS2 (!) was not able to talk with it.

When I registered it again as Manual DCC then the Program CV was active, but when it tried to read address 50 it reported a failure. This happened with both 37514 and 37511, both locos will allow mfx, DCC or MM. When I removed the loco in mind again and read it in with a loco card, and switched the protocols back to all inclusive, they both ran as they should.

So both manuals says the CV 50 may be set, but still I have not been able to do it with MS2 (2.5)
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2018 04:09:29(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: aclassifier Go to Quoted Post

When i switched off mfx, by allowing either "DCC, MM2" or "DCC" only, the MS2 (!) was not able to talk with it.

When I registered it again as Manual DCC then the Program CV was active, but when it tried to read address 50 it reported a failure. This happened with both 37514 and 37511, both locos will allow mfx, DCC or MM. When I removed the loco in mind again and read it in with a loco card, and switched the protocols back to all inclusive, they both ran as they should.

So both manuals says the CV 50 may be set, but still I have not been able to do it with MS2 (2.5)

What I do not understand, why did you bought a 60657 an got only SW version 2.5 and not the actual 2.7? On the other hand you got a 60653 too. This one is older, must have a lower serial number and therefore will always be the master, if you use both MS 2 at the same time. It might have unknowingly happened that you updated (actually better "downdated") your younger MS 2 with the older SW from the grey MS 2.

On the other hand your 37511 is also a mfx+ loco and is functioning very well, as you are writing. Strange is too, at the Märklin database a manual for your 37514 is not available. There your loco is only one year old, I recommend to send it back to your dealer and get it changed or repaired by guarantee for free. Than add one MS 2 with the request for an update to the 2.7 version.

You see, there are several possibilities for the male function. Your dealer or Märklin can help you much quicker having the hardware in hand instead of guessing around here in the community.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2018 17:56:45(UTC)
Goofy

When you disabled mfx protocol and want DCC to program locomotives decoder you must first call up locomotives new adress 3.
The adress 3 are DCC standard number to call up locomotive.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline aclassifier  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2018 17:15:25(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

What I do not understand, why did you bought a 60657 an got only SW version 2.5 and not the actual 2.7? On the other hand you got a 60653 too. This one is older, must have a lower serial number and therefore will always be the master, if you use both MS 2 at the same time. It might have unknowingly happened that you updated (actually better "downdated") your younger MS 2 with the older SW from the grey MS 2.

On the other hand your 37511 is also a mfx+ loco and is functioning very well, as you are writing. Strange is too, at the Märklin database a manual for your 37514 is not available. There your loco is only one year old, I recommend to send it back to your dealer and get it changed or repaired by guarantee for free. Than add one MS 2 with the request for an update to the 2.7 version.

You see, there are several possibilities for the male function. Your dealer or Märklin can help you much quicker having the hardware in hand instead of guessing around here in the community.

I will certainly have a look at your options and study them, and then come back here.
Offline aclassifier  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2018 17:17:18(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

When you disabled mfx protocol and want DCC to program locomotives decoder you must first call up locomotives new adress 3.
The adress 3 are DCC standard number to call up locomotive.

I will try this once I get to the HW in some days! Thanks!
Offline aclassifier  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2018 11:35:18(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I will certainly have a look at your options and study them, and then come back here.

It was so new that it came with 2.5. And I did not downgrade, as I was aware of that possibility. I took pictures of it. Besides, it would also have downgraded to 1.81. See an update below here in ten mnutes about how I further went on.

Offline aclassifier  
#9 Posted : 19 September 2018 11:45:58(UTC)
aclassifier

Norway   
With thanks to all of you, I do think I succeeded with setting CV 50 to 8 using DCC on my two mfx+ locos.

The recipe is here: "How to set register CV 50 to value 8 with MS2" (disclaimer: no money, no gifts, no ads on my blog notes. Only fun and expenses!)

However, here is the recipe pasted from my blog note. If you find any errors in how I describe this then please tell, and I will try to update both in the blog note and here:
  1. CV 50 value 8 means that the loco will not run on AC or DC analogue (conventional) lines. From the mfx+ loco’s manual. Disclaimer: Then, hopefully it will not sprint away with fast speed without control. If I ever see my two locos (37514 and 37511, both mfx+ enabled) sprint away again after this, I will update here. (Actually I have up to now only seen 37514 do this anyway..)
  2. Make sure you have a programmed loco card for each loco. It’s so nice to restore the loco to mfx+ afterwards (but of course not required)
  3. Make sure you have a track segment for just this one loco in mind or that no other loco is seen
  4. Place the loco on the track and power the track. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.) with your present configuration
  5. On MS2 set Protocols to DCC only. I have learned that this is the only protocol that may set any CV register. Also, with this, any mfx+ loco will not register itself as another loco in the middle of the procedure
  6. On MS2 remove the loco. Make sure that you remove the right loco, there is a list that comes up!
  7. Now we want to go DCC for this loco, but just for this short while, so some of the params won’t matter. On MS2 New Loco | Enter Manually | DCC address 3 (supposedly needed to connect the loco to the MS2) (no problem if address 3 already exists) | “ABC ..”as name is OK | Any symbol is OK
  8. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  9. On MS2 program CV address 50 to value 8. Easy as that. If it fails rading the value check that the loco is really seen by MS2
  10. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  11. On MS2 remove the loco. Again, make sure that you remove the right loco, there is a list that comes up!
  12. On MS2 set the protocols to the full list again : “mfx,DCC,MM2”
  13. Find your loco card for this loco and read it to restore the loco. (There’s nothing wrong about keeping DCC only, but I didn’t want to.) You have to be at the loco’s position (which is free now) in the MS2 list, if not that card’s loco will enter the first vacant position. More on loco card usage in the chapter below (in the blog)
  14. On MS2 set the address on the loco to that one that came with the loco card. It doesn’t look like reading the loco card updates the loco
  15. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  16. Have fun!
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 20 September 2018 19:00:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

With thanks to all of you, I do think I succeeded with setting CV 50 to 8 using DCC on my two mfx+ locos.

The recipe is here: "How to set register CV 50 to value 8 with MS2" (disclaimer: no money, no gifts, no ads on my blog notes. Only fun and expenses!)

However, here is the recipe pasted from my blog note. If you find any errors in how I describe this then please tell, and I will try to update both in the blog note and here:
  1. CV 50 value 8 means that the loco will not run on AC or DC analogue (conventional) lines. From the mfx+ loco’s manual. Disclaimer: Then, hopefully it will not sprint away with fast speed without control. If I ever see my two locos (37514 and 37511, both mfx+ enabled) sprint away again after this, I will update here. (Actually I have up to now only seen 37514 do this anyway..)
  2. Make sure you have a programmed loco card for each loco. It’s so nice to restore the loco to mfx+ afterwards (but of course not required)
  3. Make sure you have a track segment for just this one loco in mind or that no other loco is seen
  4. Place the loco on the track and power the track. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.) with your present configuration
  5. On MS2 set Protocols to DCC only. I have learned that this is the only protocol that may set any CV register. Also, with this, any mfx+ loco will not register itself as another loco in the middle of the procedure
  6. On MS2 remove the loco. Make sure that you remove the right loco, there is a list that comes up!
  7. Now we want to go DCC for this loco, but just for this short while, so some of the params won’t matter. On MS2 New Loco | Enter Manually | DCC address 3 (supposedly needed to connect the loco to the MS2) (no problem if address 3 already exists) | “ABC ..”as name is OK | Any symbol is OK
  8. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  9. On MS2 program CV address 50 to value 8. Easy as that. If it fails rading the value check that the loco is really seen by MS2
  10. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  11. On MS2 remove the loco. Again, make sure that you remove the right loco, there is a list that comes up!
  12. On MS2 set the protocols to the full list again : “mfx,DCC,MM2”
  13. Find your loco card for this loco and read it to restore the loco. (There’s nothing wrong about keeping DCC only, but I didn’t want to.) You have to be at the loco’s position (which is free now) in the MS2 list, if not that card’s loco will enter the first vacant position. More on loco card usage in the chapter below (in the blog)
  14. On MS2 set the address on the loco to that one that came with the loco card. It doesn’t look like reading the loco card updates the loco
  15. Make sure the loco is seen by MS2 (light on/off, it runs etc.)
  16. Have fun!

17. Here you get much cheaper lococards than from Märklin
https://www.reichelt.de/...arte-8kb-p37024.html?r=1

Same bus-card as the one from Märklin

needed Chipkarte mit I²C-Bus E²-Prom-Speicher 8 kByte (64 kbit) Chip: Microchip 24LC64 6-pol ISO-Format 85,7 x 54 x 0,81 mm
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2018 07:22:15(UTC)
Goofy

Märklins new locomotive today do have also DCC protocol on like mfx+.
The value at CV 50 are set at 15 from the factory.

If your MS2 are set on with the mfx it register automatic.
That means if you want adjust CV your MS2 must set at DCC and not mfx before you put locomotive on the track!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control