Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline twmarklinfan  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:29:36(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Can you help. I am having problems with running these coaches on my C track. They often derail when going through the curve of the standard points or the 2nd radius curves. I think the long steps below the coach stops the Bogie turning enough with the curve. I have fitted the coaches with AC wheel sets but the problem remains.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Adrian
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:46:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, wich coaches?
And it will always worth to recheck the wheels gauge.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2018 15:07:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post
Any thoughts?
I hope you are not using Märklin couplers - neither on the Brawa coaches nor on the rolling stock next to them.
See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline twmarklinfan  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2018 16:20:08(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello, wich coaches?
And it will always worth to recheck the wheels gauge.
Regards

They are 46153/54/55/72/75/76. Most of the coaches are fitted with the original wheel sets but on one I have changed to Brawa AC wheel sets. It makes no difference.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2018 16:23:13(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Any thoughts?
I hope you are not using Märklin couplers - neither on the Brawa coaches nor on the rolling stock next to them.
See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/

I have Marklin couplers on the outside ends of the first and last coaches. all others are Fleischmann profi couplers which work so well on my other Brawa coaches. The problems arise within the consist, not with the Marklin couplings.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2018 17:04:26(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Hi Adrian,

Brawa rolling stock is very nice, but very fragile, and marginal on running characteristics on Märklin track.

I have some Brawa coaches (but not the ones you have), and they work for me with all the wheel sets changed for Brawa AC ones (I have to do this anyway for the automation on my layout), and I use Märklin couplers E313790 (aka 7204) or 239550 current-conducting ones. And I run them on K-track.

I can't find the manual for your series of coaches on the Brawa web site, but looking at the photos I think it's very ambitious to think that those steps on the coaches will allow them to run on tight curves like your C-track ones. I'm sure the steps will be separate parts, so I would very carefully dismantle the coaches and remove the steps, and see if they then run. You might try adding some weight inside the coaches too, as they are probably very light.

It's definitely tricky to get Brawa rolling stock to run reliably, but they look great when they do work! I have quite a lot of two-axle Brawa wagons, and they run well with AC wheels and some added weight (and couplings as above).

Best of luck,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline twmarklinfan  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2018 17:38:58(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
Hi Adrian,

Brawa rolling stock is very nice, but very fragile, and marginal on running characteristics on Märklin track.

I have some Brawa coaches (but not the ones you have), and they work for me with all the wheel sets changed for Brawa AC ones (I have to do this anyway for the automation on my layout), and I use Märklin couplers E313790 (aka 7204) or 239550 current-conducting ones. And I run them on K-track.

I can't find the manual for your series of coaches on the Brawa web site, but looking at the photos I think it's very ambitious to think that those steps on the coaches will allow them to run on tight curves like your C-track ones. I'm sure the steps will be separate parts, so I would very carefully dismantle the coaches and remove the steps, and see if they then run. You might try adding some weight inside the coaches too, as they are probably very light.

It's definitely tricky to get Brawa rolling stock to run reliably, but they look great when they do work! I have quite a lot of two-axle Brawa wagons, and they run well with AC wheels and some added weight (and couplings as above).

Best of luck,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

Your thoughts on the steps did cross my mind. They are cut away to allow the bogies to swing. They came ready fitted but the instructions for the detail parts do mention that after adding some parts the coaches may not be suitable for all tracks!

I will give it a go, as you say they are very nice models. If I don’t get any success then I think a change of ownership may be called for.

Best
Adrian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2018 00:16:37(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I had to remove the buffers on a Roco coach to get it to run properly on my layout.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2018 00:23:05(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i dont have those, just some long compartment cars that runs flawlessly.
Looking at the picture, dont think that the steps are removable
regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 12 September 2018 19:32:45(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
I have quite a lot of two-axle Brawa wagons, and they run well with AC wheels and some added weight (and couplings as above).
Nigel

Do you have any specific tips for adding weight to Brawa two axle wagons (I find they are too light for stability as well) or is it just a custom solution for each wagon type?
thanks,
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2018 20:56:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I find with my Brawa that trying different couplers helps by giving a bit more space between the coaches. Also if you have lighting using a slider this can cause a problem so I use battery lights.
Brawa stuff is really good for detail but some parts can fall off and they are expensive.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline twmarklinfan  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2018 11:27:56(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I find with my Brawa that trying different couplers helps by giving a bit more space between the coaches. Also if you have lighting using a slider this can cause a problem so I use battery lights.
Brawa stuff is really good for detail but some parts can fall off and they are expensive.

Indeed they are expensive, so even more frustrating when they won’t run properly. I have several rakes of Brawa coaches and have found that the Fleischmann profi couplings work best. Step one is to change all the wheel sets for these coaches to the AC version. I wish I had ordered them with AC axles. 20 axles at €4.50 each is going to lighten my pocket considerably
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2018 13:48:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Indeed they are expensive, so even more frustrating when they won’t run properly. I have several rakes of Brawa coaches and have found that the Fleischmann profi couplings work best. Step one is to change all the wheel sets for these coaches to the AC version. I wish I had ordered them with AC axles. 20 axles at €4.50 each is going to lighten my pocket considerably

Regarding AC wheels Lippe change these for me without any charge. Any decent dealer should do that. If they want to sell coaches to run on Marklin then they should be supplied with the correct wheels.
Hopefully you can get your coaches running properly as they do look very good.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar