Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin61  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2018 00:01:40(UTC)
marklin61

I have just taken delivery of 3 x m84 ( 60842) units. I programmed the first unit with my CS2 via the programming output using DCC ( mainly due to address limitation of mfx). The first unit worked flawlessly. However the next two units after programming exhibit a condition where the outputs would switch on then off intermittently, even though no load was connected to any of the outputs. This condition only occurred when all 4 outputs were set to the on condition via the CS2 keyboard. It didn’t matter which order any of the ports were switched, once all 4 were in the on condition the m84 would then start turning all output off then on. The only way to recover was to hit the stop. If I switched each port on then off one at a time the unit seems to work. Given the m84 has no load connected I can only assume I have 2 faulty units as my first unit seemed to work ok. Unless there is something I have missed and was wondering if any members had seen this behaviour before or make any suggestions.
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2018 01:58:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: marklin61 Go to Quoted Post
...( mainly due to address limitation of mfx)...

Do you mean MM, and "address range (1-320) limitation"?

The relays are not latching and do take (some) power to be held picked (approx 22mA = 180mA for all 8 picked - as measured by a CS3)
You also mentioned the programming track, which has limited power (deliberately)

Do you have an external power supply for the m84s?

So, not withstanding the comment that one of the 3 is OK, do you observe a difference if you connect to the main track output.

Edited by user 12 September 2018 06:18:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
Offline marklin61  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2018 08:05:56(UTC)
marklin61

Thanks Peter.
Yes, sorry I did mean MM 320 address limitation. I need addresses above 500 so using DCC.
I could connect the m84 to a spare booster dedicated for decoders only, and see what happens.
Never though to try another power feed given the first unit behaved normally. Will report back when I get back home at the end of the week.
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........