Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline scraigen  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2018 18:52:13(UTC)
scraigen

Hi all,
I'm planning a new layout and I want to use K-track and slim switches which put standard track spacing at 57mm due to depth restrictions of the layout board I need to know if longer rollingstock will collide with each other if I use R360 curves and a flextrack parallel curve at R417mm. Is this too close together? Does anyone know how to calculate max overhang at specific radii (obviously depends on the length of rollingstock involved so happy to accept a consensus from forum members as to sensible allowances here).

curves.png

Cheers

Stu
Must build something
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2018 19:03:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Overhang depends on both the length and the construction of the rolling stock (position of pivot points etc.).

There is a table in the NEM you can use as a rule pf thumb.

See NEM 103, NEM 112, and others in the low 1xx range.

As I read it you need about 13 mm extra clearance on each side when using 303 mm coaches with 400 mm curve radius. If you stick to "new longer length" shortened coaches, 10 mm extra should be enough.

At 57 mm track spacing and using 360 mm radius for the inner curve, you do not have those 10 mm. So expect problems even with "new longer length".

The 77 mm used by Märklin may have a few mm in reserve, but with scale coaches you probably cannot go much lower than that.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline scraigen  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2018 20:00:00(UTC)
scraigen

Thanks HO I was afraid that would be the answer, I think I can mitigate the issue in most places where I plan to keep the curves as hidden as possible by offsetting the curves so that although the radii are as discussed they are not concentric by moving the centre point of the R360 away from the other by 40mm - 50mm should be OK I think.

I've not bought the track yet otherwise I'd just set it up and try it with my longest rollingstock. On my old M-track layout the only vehicle that gave me any grief was the 3126 Red Arrow - a superb model apart from slow noisy whiny motor BigGrin it used to catch the side of the girder bridge when going into an R360 curve direct from the bridge.

curves-offset.png

Cheers

Stu
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2018 06:08:36(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Flex track is not going to work at that tight of radius.

You are much better off using standard R2/R3 curves with the 64.6mm spacing for your parallel curves.

You can then either keep the 64.6 for the straight sections and use the slim turnouts with the 30mm spacer to get the wider spacing, or you can transition from 57mm to 64.6mm at the start of your curves.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor