Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cocolarue916  
#1 Posted : 17 August 2018 21:13:30(UTC)
Cocolarue916

United States   
20180817_115859.jpg

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this train? Year made? What it's worth? All I know is that it's the only train left in a set my husband got as a boy (born in 1949) and he's no longer here to tell me about it. Was hoping somebody on this forum could. Thanks

Edited by moderator 19 April 2022 23:33:16(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot to upload image

Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 17 August 2018 22:52:41(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
You need to find the missing wheels/bogie parts.

http://www.bigio.it/Elec...sche/SET-800/SET-800.htm

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2018 00:11:19(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
SET 800 (or 3011) is a plentiful loco. Complete (which this is not) and in average condition it fetches around £35-£50 in the UK. Don't know about US prices. It is often advertised for far more.

The missing parts are probably available from Ritter Restauration but their cost may exceed the value of the loco.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 18 August 2018 21:15:39(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
I recently had a chance to service one of those locomotives
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The locomotive is really well preserved
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
The saddle that moves underneath the body changes the power from the skis to the pantograph
UserPostedImage
And I have one in my collection since the early 60's but it does not look so good!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline Rainer B  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2022 21:49:06(UTC)
Rainer B

Canada   
I just purchased one - in very nice shape and runs well. Just need to replace a couple of the bulbs.
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2022 00:03:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Cocolarue916 Go to Quoted Post

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about this train? Year made? What it's worth?

The Loco is Märklin model "SET 800", it was first introduced in the 1954 catalogue to replace the earlier nearly identical "SE 800"

It remained in the Märklin program for several years but from 1957 was known as "3011" due to the factory numbering system change.

Below are some images, first from the 1954 catalogue.

It last appeared in the 1961/62 catalogue before being withdrawn but would have been available from many retailers and possibly ex-factory for some time after this.

It was available as a single item, as well as being part of a complete starter-set with coaches and track.

The model was also re-released under different numbers over the years with refinements, different colour schemes etc.

As with most Märklin models, it is based on a real-life Locomotive, the German Class E44. "039" is its series / road number.

It's quite a nice Loco (I have three of them), and is popular among enthusiasts of that era. As others have noted, yours is unfortunately missing the two bogies / trucks at either end.

These are only held on with a screw so they are easily removed and are still available if you wanted to return it to its former glory. Unless they are tucked away in a box or bag somewhere.

It actually looks to be in reasonable condition. If you wanted to keep it, or pass on to another family member you now have some info and can just display it as it is, but if you prefer to find a new home for it, someone will likely make you a fair offer.

Back at the time, it was a moderately priced item. Approximately 2.5 times the cost of the most basic Loco in the Märklin range.

Plus there would have been track, a controller, additional rolling stock etc to make it actually playable. I would suggest he was a very lucky boy when he got it and quite possibly the envy of his friends. Smile

If you could find some historical prices for common commodities (Milk, Butter etc) or even other toys you'd see how it stacked up (hence I used $US catalogue images). Interesting to note that the retail price barely changed in a decade.

Because of the missing parts, and unknown operational state, and being a relatively common model the $ value is not high in the current market. I'm not in the US so would not want to venture a guess but here in NZ, that item would likely sell for around $75, give or take. $US value perhaps a little lower, or maybe higher?, totally depends on the day.

It would be appealing as a restoration project rather than dismantled for parts, but that's without knowing the internal condition.

Hope this helps

Steve
NZ

From 1954 ....

SET800-1954.jpg

The 1954 complete set

SET846-3J-1954.jpg

1961/62....

3011-1961.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2022 12:28:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Cookee, I hope you realise that it's nearly 3 years between your post and the OP opening this thread. Other than that good post!
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 20 April 2022 21:10:14(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Cookee, I hope you realise that it's nearly 3 years between your post and the OP opening this thread. Other than that good post!

Lol, I must have missed it first time round. It was the reawakening post that brought it forward.

No matter, someone is bound to have learned something new BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz