Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos52  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2018 03:18:22(UTC)
Carlos52

Chile   
Hello members:
Perhaps my question is solved somewhere, but I could not find it ...at lesat clear and easy to my level of knowledge. Well, I'm planning to build a layout of about 6x8m with 6 track circuits (let's say 6 ovals that should be connected), 12 locomotives, aswell 1 turntable, lightnning (for railroads and scenery), turnouts and I would like to control them remotly. I own the starter set 29711 that includes the mobile station 2 (60653) and a 36VA transformer...this is my starting point.

As far as I have read, I would need extra power to cover my layout, so here come my questionsConfused :

1) Do I need 1 booster for each track circuit or 1 booster for each X meter of tracks? Do I need to insulate them?
2) What do I have to consider for wiring ("bus wiring"?) and what kind of wire?
3) Is the mobile station able to handle my layout, or do I need a second one?
4) Could I use some kind of switches to handle the lightnning, turntable and turnouts instead of connecting them to the mobile station?

I will appreciate any help and hopefully a schematic draft.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2018 21:55:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
That is going to be a good sized layout indeed. Do share your track plan as you develop it, I'm curious.

So on the size and power - the size (feet) of track do NOT mean you need more power - its not the size of the layout but the number of simultaneously operating consumers (locos, lights, etc) that draw power and determine the additional needed power via boosters. For 12 locos, that will definitely be needed if running them all at the same time.

Basic recommendation - put any layout lighting and power for turnout movement and other non-"To a decoder" circuits on their own DC power supplies. Any readily available 12v-19v range supply will do, based on the voltages that are needed to power your lighting type or turnout motors. Save the digital controller power for the track to power locos and decoders.

Boosters - the boosters basically provide a fresh batch of power (Amps) and impose the digital data signal on that from the control system, but the track powered by a booster must be electrically isolated from the other track sections. Each main controller section and booster section needs to be isolated and only powered by the amp(booster/controller) assigned to it.

How you divide up your layout between boosters and your main controller can depend a lot on how the layout eventually works.

A common approach is to run a power bus wire (thicker gauge) under/along the track and feed smaller feed wires from the power bus to the track every x meters.
With boosters you want to have the power region they feed be meaningful and reduce unneeded wiring, so you may cover a section along a wall with one booster, or a square area with a booster, or the main station and yard with a booster. Its a geometry problem as well as a 'maintaining the wiring' problem. What would be easier to work with if you have to track a problem back to a broken power feed wire. Depends on the layout itself, not the size.

Maybe divide up the layout (once you have the main design of the track finished) based on a partitioning where at most some # of trains are in the section at once.
So if your thinking based on power (I haven't done the math so my number is just out of thin air) - that 3 full trains at most will consume the power from a single controller/booster, then divide your layout into sections where at most 3 trains will be in a section. So a long mainline run of one track in each direction may be a single booster. On the other hand, with an 4 platform main train station, one would divide the main station into multiple boosters if you consider there may be a train at every platform at the same time.

For wire, folks use different types. For long power runs, I'd favor a thicker multi-strand wire as it has some flexibility but also lower resistance than a single core solid wire. Think about wire colors - come up with a color code and use it; don't use one big spool of wire for everything - if its all the same color it really gets hard to work issues later.

The mobile station itself won't be able to power all of those 12 locos, lighting, etc by itself. You'll need boosters. But I'll let more experienced larger-layout folks answer definitively.

Switches - some folks do operate lights, turnouts, and turntables in an analog way (toggle switches or buttons) while running trains digital. If you think you will computer control, then maybe less analog switches and more control over digital devices that switch (which can come from various makers, as they can also be DCC controlled and still be commanded by your MS or CS or computer.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2018 22:47:31(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Here is an example of bus wires below the layout and how they are connected to track above
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2002/02/wiring-track-feeds-to-bus-wires.html

You will also need to consider benchwork:
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2017/04/benchwork-construction.html

This may be useful:
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2007/02/changing-wire-color.html

For some lighting, I leave them lights on all the time (no switching) this matches the real world where people have lights on in buildings during the day too.

Street lights are different and do not usually burn during the day so I switch them:
https://cabin-layout.blogspot.com/2016/09/illuminated-street.html
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Carlos52  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2018 01:16:58(UTC)
Carlos52

Chile   
Thank you very much Minok and DaleSchulltz for your information...you are very kind!

I will need some time to process your answers, but I will back with some questions ...for sure. As far as I finish my layout plan, I will send you some images.

Thanks a lot again!

Carlos52
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carlos52
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:39:36(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

A layout 8x6m is huge!
Don't forget the main criterion in order to build and operate a layout is accessibility.

As a result, all tracks must be accessible with your arms in a radius equals to 0.70m-0.80m.

Good luck
Fabrice
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by French_Fabrice