Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Wasp  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2017 17:40:24(UTC)
Wasp

United Kingdom   
HELP PLEASE
Iam debating on one or the other I do run Marklin trains MFX but esu price sounds good and you get a transformer.
I would appreciate any tips or comments .
Many thanks
Wasp
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2017 18:16:52(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I would prefer the ECoS - any ECoS (50000, 50200, 50210).

But you have to decide and you should get your hands on both controllers before making a decision.
You need a CS2 or CS3 to make use of mfx+ and the "World of Operation".

The ECoS supports "mfx" without "+".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2017 21:01:21(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi,

I was initially planning to go with new Ecos, but finally settled on the new CS3.

My feeling is that Ecos is better in terms of more advanced flexibility and letting the users decide their configurations. E.g. on Ecos you decide how many amps you want, CV programming is better supported and Esu manuals are written much better than the competitors.

On the other hand Marklin CS3 is more of a easy plug and play system, the Mfx registration is ultra fast, it has better screen with track diagrams and it has more advanced route memory function. On the downside it ultilize a touch screen which best is used with a mouse and still has some software bugs.

If you primarily drive only Marklin locos with Marklin decoders, and want the Mfx+ option I would go with CS3, and hope the Marklin will solve the software bugs.

If you have a mix of locos with DCC and Marklin Ecos might be an better option. But as Tom said you should have a play with each of them to decide what works for you.

What put me off Ecos was some reports on Stumi regarding slow Mfx registration and then seeing below YouTube video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_jLi8WRO4

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2017 00:05:45(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Having played with a CS3, even though it was only for a short time, I think that the choice between CS3 and eCOS is much harder than it was between the CS2 and eCOS. Marklin have done a great job with the CS3, but there are some obvious bugs, which are expected, as these days it seems that the first buyers of a new product are really the unpaid beta testers of the latest product. Marklin is not alone in this behaviour - testing is expensive and less reliable the more complex the product. Hence my advice, "never buy the first of a new model of anything - cars, computers, women, or model trains".. Laugh

Tom's advice is very good - read all about it (especially the online manual) and find somewhere that will let you try out the CS3 and eCOS for an extended period. If you think that the CS3 is for you , then wait patiently for the next production run..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2017 09:18:14(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Wasp Go to Quoted Post
HELP PLEASE
Iam debating on one or the other I do run Marklin trains MFX but esu price sounds good and you get a transformer.
I would appreciate any tips or comments .
Many thanks
Wasp

Depends what kind of model railway you want.
If you want sort of mixed with all protocols.
CS3 do have:
mfx
mfx+
MM
DCC

Ecos 50210 do have:
DCC
DCC + (Railcom plus)
MM
M4 ( type like mfx)

Both CS3 and Ecos supports all kind of decoder with protocols.
An rumor says that ESU will change design of the Ecos 50210 next year as new ( probably)
CS3 are nice design but i don´t like the soft program and there is still bugs to fix it ( Märklin fix not until autumn).
If you want CS3 i suggest wait until autumn/winter if Märklin did fix the problems with the CS3.

Digital system do always have Pros and Cons.
There is youtube which you can see test results.

Digital market is big and there is always competitors which do produce digital system.
I suggest you to wait and check after others products like Viessmann Commander 2.
It seems promise system and if you use Apples latest Beta version ( arrives download autumn) in the Ipad you control digital model railway much faster and more advance functions.
Commander 2 can also download upgrades of the soft program (possible with same type like Märklins "world of the operation").
Viessmann Commander 2 do also support:
DCC
DCC + ? not sure
MM
mfx

Good luck!

Cool

P.S.
The most important is to have digital locomotive which do have multi protocol decoder. ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline DB Fan  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2017 12:36:05(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
I had the same question a while back and I decided to get the Ecos. For me it was that I can get a wireless controller for the Ecos and the lok programmer for changing/ adding the correct/different sound for a engine. Just go to the ESU website and listen to the sound files they have. For me it was the BR 03 sound file Love . But the most important part is to take your time with it and research both controllers thoroughly. And like it was mentioned before try out both units. Maybe there is a store or somebody from this forum that is not that far away from where you live.

Happy Model Railroading

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2017 14:25:11(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Robert,

Did you have any issues with Mfx registration?

I fully agree with you the sound files are much more advanced that Marklin. Iam having lots of fun running one of my locos with full throttle diesel feature. The lokprogrammer is also brilliant for CV programming.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2017 18:20:29(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
...and the lok programmer for changing/ adding the correct/different sound for a engine. Just go to the ESU website and listen to the sound files they have. For me it was the BR 03 sound file Love

Just to avoid confusion: The LokProgrammer and the sounds has nothing to do with the ECoS. You can go for the CS3 and still have fun with the ESU decoders and their awesome sounds.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 18 June 2017 00:02:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Absolutely right, just buy Loksound M4 and ask your dealer to load the sound project of your choice ( what i do ) or go also for a Lokprogrammer ( what i am thinking to do ).
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline DB Fan  
#10 Posted : 18 June 2017 00:40:04(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
So far I didn't have a problem with mfx but then I have only 4 engines with mfx. I have a lot of analog engines I'm going to convert with ESU decoders. The sounds where not the only consideration why I chose the ECOS system. Since I'm still in the beginning stages of building a layout (4' x 14') I found that having a wireless controller helps tremendously for seeing up close a trouble spot and controlling the engine without having to run back and forth to the controller. Another factor was price. All I want the digital controller for is the convenience of having multiple engines running and and some of them to have sound. I'm not into cv values and controlling everything digitally. That's just my preference. And that where the deciding factors for me. I think the CS 3 will be great controller once most of the bugs are corrected. That's why I said to research it thoroughly and see what controller is the better one for what you want to do with it. And this forum was a great help with that for me. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum. BigGrin

Happy Model Railroading Smile

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 18 June 2017 10:09:30(UTC)
Goofy

I have told you that of years now about ESU loksound are better than Märklins mfx sound decoder.
You can use ESU sound decoder with Märklins CS3.
Ecos 50210 support RailCom plus while Märklins CS3 doesn´t have it.
RailCom plus can been use too with the Märklins three rail tracks.

If TS want to use better locomotive decoder i recommend ESU.
No matter of CS3 or Ecos 50210 to use.
H0
Offline SNAFU  
#12 Posted : 18 June 2017 13:32:40(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Well I have not long bought a Ecos 2 and as far as slow MFX registration goes, who cares.
you'll still have plenty of time to play.
For me it was about not restricting myself to Marklin. Its about being open minded to your needs/wants or desire. Oh and cost did come into it.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 18 June 2017 17:13:45(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: SNAFU Go to Quoted Post
...and as far as slow MFX registration goes, who cares.

Judging from years of discussions on Mfx vs. Railcom+ on this forum: Quite a few...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 18 June 2017 18:59:39(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Jeje, you are right, the only thing that bother me so far of my CS2, is the ultra sloooooooow user interface, adding an configuring CV becomes really a ptiente exercise, hopefully i will try to put my hands on a CS3 on September, if it is as fast as people are saying it will surely climb some steps in my wishlist.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mrmarklin  
#15 Posted : 18 June 2017 23:11:20(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Jeje, you are right, the only thing that bother me so far of my CS2, is the ultra sloooooooow user interface, adding an configuring CV becomes really a ptiente exercise, hopefully i will try to put my hands on a CS3 on September, if it is as fast as people are saying it will surely climb some steps in my wishlist.

I too will eventually upgrade to CS3+. The MFX+ feature is something I wish to explore as I progress in the hobby. I'm also concerned with backward compatibility. Marklin, as it incorporates more functionality in its Loks will not concern itself with other brands. I've already run into this, and it's getting worse with time, as the ETE module group continues to use the Uhlenbrock system. Granted, it's obsolete, but still.........

I fail to see what remote control has to do with this debate. I already use my iPhone and IPad on my layout as remote controllers and see this as the future for all systems. I'm not building any control panels etc.

When one accumulates a bunch of MFX Loks, one will appreciate the speed of CS3. I look forward to the next iteration for faster Lok recognition.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline GlennM  
#16 Posted : 19 June 2017 14:26:01(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I would say that based on my experience both controllers are very good, and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses, dependent upon what you want to do with your layout. I would suggest you could buy either and be very happy.

You will find on this forum lots of opinions, and some people are entrenched one way or the other, and will tell you that 'X' is the best without any reason or factual basis for their choice. Then there are people who just have the need to have the latest of everything, and will tell you you must have the latest to be best.

If you can try and see and feel both items and see if you like one over the other, then check how each performs against what you want to do with your layout now and maybe in the future and then decide based on your criteria and budget what is best for you.

I personally run a CS2, I have used the CS3 (beta version) and do not feel that for me personally at this moment in time that it offers me anything more than the CS2 does not offer. Accordingly I see no reason to upgrade. I am currently running a layout that has two main loops with two main areas in the center for storage and shunting and an area at the front for loading and programming locos, and I have had up to 6 locos running at once, with a maximum of 25 (mfx and other digital locos on the tracks and registered in the CS2) and found the CS2 copes admirably with this setup. In addition to this I can (using Marklin software) plug a computer into the CS 2, and this allows me to access more screens and help control, signals, trackwork and locos through the computer screen, or as is usual my son uses the CS2 and I use the computer, and so we can both enjoy driving fun at the same time.

It might be that a CS2 might suffice your needs, or as many Forum users (do quite successfully) run their layouts from the MS controllers, and would represent a saving over the other two choices, leaving you a surplus to spend on new locos/wagons/coaches.

I have used several ESU units at various exhibitions and toy fairs and must say I was as impressed as I was with the CS2, and so would not discount buying an ESU unit in future if my needs permitted.

I see you are not far from me, and I would be happy to bring my CS2 round one day and you could see it in action and maybe that would help you to make a reasoned decision, and I can also bring along the Signal Book you requested in another post.

All the best
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Minok  
#17 Posted : 19 June 2017 22:06:42(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I found that having a wireless controller helps tremendously for seeing up close a trouble spot and controlling the engine without having to run back and forth to the controller

With Märklin one can just run the smartphone mobile apps to make a wireless controller out of the smartphone most folks already have. I expect that is the case with any modern controller, so that shouldn't be a concern with a new controller purchase unless the controller you are looking for doesn't support a remote phone app controller.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Wasp  
#18 Posted : 27 May 2018 12:23:28(UTC)
Wasp

United Kingdom   
Ma
My thanks for all your help it’s a mine field
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 29 May 2018 17:36:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I found that having a wireless controller helps tremendously for seeing up close a trouble spot and controlling the engine without having to run back and forth to the controller

With Märklin one can just run the smartphone mobile apps to make a wireless controller out of the smartphone most folks already have. I expect that is the case with any modern controller, so that shouldn't be a concern with a new controller purchase unless the controller you are looking for doesn't support a remote phone app controller.

ESU...Roco...Viessmann do have theirs system which also support smartphone/tablets by use apps.

H0
Offline klarinettmeister  
#20 Posted : 03 June 2018 09:30:24(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Just remember that the. CS3 needs to be connected to a network bridge or to a router to be wireless.

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

Offline salmarklin  
#21 Posted : 21 July 2018 21:52:13(UTC)
salmarklin

United States   
So, I was in this position a few weeks ago with having to decide between the CS3+ or the ESU ECoS (50210). For me, there were a number of reasons why I chose what I chose. I read this forum before I made my choice and looked at what you guys all had to say. Then I did more of my own research online and also weighed my own experiences with the CS2 that I have owned for 10 years. First off, I have owned the CS1 and later the CS2 and I have never been really impressed with either. I sold the CS1 years ago, didn't like the fact that Marklin left everyone who bought it hanging so to speak because they soon stopped offering updates for it, and you were left out in the cold unless you sent it into ESU to be reloaded. Despite that, I bought the first CS2 when it arrived in 2008. I was never in love with the CS2, the processor was extremely slow even in 2008, and updates over the last 10 years did little to help the software's glitches and issues. For example, I still, 10 years after I purchased it, have many menus and prompts which are in German and not English, despite the fact that I have the CS2 set to be in English language mode.

I recently purchased some new loks, and started reprogramming the locomotives' CV values using the CS2. That was a big mistake. No matter what I did, and how I did it, I could never get the CS2 to reliably work at changing CV values. You select the CV, change its value to what you want, hit program, then hit the program to the track button with the arrow pointing to the track, and it would work sporadically at best. You'd have to do the same process 5, 10, or 15 times to get it to finally work. I actually had much much more luck using my ancient Marklin MS1 controller to change locomotive addresses than I did with the CS2! It worked very well, and I soon stopped using the CS2 for changing addresses. But I then ran into an issue reprogramming digital decoders and I needed the CS2 to get more in depth, but again, the CS2 did not work reliably. So in desperation I emailed one of the largest Marklin dealer/service centers in the United States explaining the issues I was having with the CS2, and asked if I should purchase a CS3+ in order to finally get a machine which would work. I was shocked at his response, he said: "you need to find someone with an ESU ECoS that you can borrow or use to do all this CV work". Keep in mind I had NEVER mentioned the ESU ECoS to him, I only asked if I should buy the CS3+, and essentially he said get the ECoS instead. Also, keep in mind I have never owned any control system except Marklin, I have never owned any ESU devices except the decoders pre-fitted in loks, and FYI around 90% of my 70+ loks are Marklin, many of them are MFX.

I then talked to another huge Marklin dealer in Germany regarding the same question and they told me that they themselves use the ECoS for their store. That to me said a LOT, and sealed the decision for me. So, as you might've already guessed, I purchased an ECoS (50210) instead of the CS3+. I can only describe the change as going from the dark ages to the 21st century. The comparison from the ECoS to CS2 isn't even a comparison. The ECoS is so much faster and more intuitive, if you think a button does a certain thing/function, it likely does it. That's seldom been my experience with the CS2, it's one of the most UN-intuitive devices I have ever used, but you force yourself to learn and get used to it. The ECoS makes reprogramming decoders and changing CV values so easy compared to the CS2 that you swear you must be doing something wrong, but you're not! It's just that much easier and faster. To me, the CS3+ looked like an amazing machine in videos and reviews, with the ability to drag icons and items, pinch to zoom, etc., but I know that the software is going to have a lot of issues, Marklin has had a decade to fix the CS2 software bugs with updates and they never did and it's still awful. I have no reason to believe that they'll change their ways now since they never did in the decade prior. I also suspect that while the CS3+ is certainly powered by a much faster processor than my old CS2, it will likely not be as good at programming and working CV values as the ECoS. ESU knows their decoders and software, and when you own an ECoS it really shows. I love my new ECoS, it's so nice to have a machine that when set to English actually has all its menus and prompt boxes written in English!!! Imagine that?

Looking up menus of all your locomotives is fast and easy with ECoS, and one other little detail that I liked was that on the menu list of locomotives you have saved on the ECoS, that it shows you the address number next to the name. It's nice that you can just see that, instead of having to select the lok, hit the wrench button, and then see the address like on the CS2. And even though money was not an issue for me, and I could have easily afforded the CS3+, I really liked the idea that I could get an ECoS for less than $700 with the transformer included in that price, the CS3+ with transformer would run me close to a grand at the cheapest. Yes, the graphics and display are more fancy shall we say on the CS3+ than the ECoS, but in my opinion, I want a control unit that can control and modify trains reliably, and some of the stuff on the CS3+ like MFX+ capabilities seem like a gimmick to me. When I'm running my trains I'm looking at my trains, not a fake engineer's cab on the screen!

So, all in all, I still own the CS2, and now I also own the ECoS, and when I had to upgrade and choose between the CS3+ and ECoS, I chose the ECoS and could not be happier. It's a very fast and intuitive machine that does what it's supposed to do incredibly well, which is control/modify trains and accessories. I really feel I made the right choice, but hey, do what you want to do.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by salmarklin