Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alko  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2018 18:22:40(UTC)
Alko

United States   
Hello Everyone

I have always been a fan of Marklin trains since they were part of my childhood. On a recent trip to Germany I stopped at a train shop, and inquire about some starter sets. The HO starter sets were too big to carry around with me, so they offered a vintage Z starter set(8167). I accepted and brought it with me. I have seen that train sets have change a lot in my year inactive in this hobby, they have gone from analog to digital and do all sorts of things, completely different than my previous experience. So I have a few questions:
1. As this set was bought in Germany, it has a different plug and works on 220V, I have seen some Marklin train controllers in Ebay for Z scale that are 110v and are made for the US(white box). If i swapped the one I have for the Ebay one, can it work by just plugging and play?
2. Are the newer sets interchangeable with a set like mine( If i wanted to buy a new locomotive, will it work)
3. Other than moving forward and backwards, are there other things that Z scale can do? ( lights, smoke? I have seen those in HO)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alko
Offline Crazy Harry  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2018 20:49:28(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Alko Go to Quoted Post
So I have a few questions:
1. As this set was bought in Germany, it has a different plug and works on 220V, I have seen some Marklin train controllers in Ebay for Z scale that are 110v and are made for the US(white box). If i swapped the one I have for the Ebay one, can it work by just plugging and play?
2. Are the newer sets interchangeable with a set like mine( If i wanted to buy a new locomotive, will it work)
3. Other than moving forward and backwards, are there other things that Z scale can do? ( lights, smoke? I have seen those in HO)

Hi Alko,

Welcome to the forum! In answer to your questions and as far as I know (I only have experience with an old Z scale starter set #8160):

1. A correct MiniClub transformer made for the US would be plug and play. I believe you are looking at the Marklin 67271 (click this number, it is a link so you can see Marklin's product description).
2. The newer Z scale is still compatible with what you purchased. So adding track, rolling stock and locomotives is possible without any issues.
3. The locomotives typically already have lighting installed. I've never seen a smoke unit for Z scale. I don't know if they offer lighting sets for coaches (maybe some non-Marklin suppliers?). Some people have gone digital with Z scale, but that's a whole new level of complexity.

You've come to the right forum, the members here are a great help. So any other questions you have, ask away!

Cheers,

Harold.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2018 23:46:10(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alko Go to Quoted Post

Other than moving forward and backwards, are there other things that Z scale can do? ( lights, smoke? I have seen those in HO)

I haven't seen smoke or sound for these tiny locomotives, although some are roomy enough inside to fit a small decoder for digital operation.

With the Marklin Z system there are a number of items you can add to make a layout more interesting:

Circuit track
Uncoupling track
Crossing track
Isolating track
Crossing gate kit
Reverse Loop kit
Turntable
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 12 July 2018 00:22:32(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
67014 is the latest controller still in production ... note that the link above to 67271 say it is no longer produced.

67014 is a universal white controller body, but comes with a region-specific plug. The 67014 linked below contains an AC adapter for USA wall current.
https://zscalehobo.com/marklin/67014.html
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo