Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2018 01:16:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I purchased the 48059 set about a year ago, but only had the models out of the box a week ago to compare them to the newly delivered Roco models.

One of the three cars (the German language one) had significant rolling problems. When I examined the car, I found that one of the bogies on that car is different from the other bogie and the ones on the remaining cars. I sent an email to the dealer along with photos and am waiting for a reply.

Here's the beef. That one bogie does not look like any Maerklin bogie I have ever seen. From it's design, I would say it might be a Bachmann-Liliput model.
I hope that the dealer is able to procure the proper Maerklin part, but it bothers me that something like this made it past Quality Control, at the plant in China? and at Maerklin.

The good bogie (typical Maerklin)
48059.01.jpg

The bad bogie (does not look like a Maerklin part - different form, no axle clips)
48059.02.jpg

Have any of you experienced the same issue?

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 02 July 2018 17:49:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PhillipL  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2018 12:05:21(UTC)
PhillipL

United States   
I wonder if your Marklin car was manufactured in the same factory as Bachmann/Lilliput in China? Lilliput is owned by Bachmann. I know that all Bachmann HO scale trains are manufactured by one firm (who owns Bachmann) in China. I have noticed a similar problem with the motors installed in one of my Walthers Mainline GP 15 and a Atlas Trainman locomotive. Both have the same cheap droning motor which has poor performance issues. Your theory may indeed be correct. I have become very frustrated with quality of model train in general these days. Recently I have been purchasing my US rolling stock made by Kadee (made here in the US).
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2018 18:02:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am not certain of the provenance of the part, but the product quality and design looks similar to that of the bogies of some of my Liliput/Bachmann models.
The way that the cutouts for the wheels are finished is very reminiscent of the Liliput Lightsteel coaches and other Liliput cars.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 15 June 2018 21:11:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My dealer confirmed to me that this is a known issue and that Marklin will provide a replacement part upon dealer request.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2018 05:55:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I am pleased to report that my second set (48062) arrived and all of the cars have the correct Maerklin bogies. Once I receive the replacement bogie for the car from the 48059, I will be able to run these cars as a unit train behind a Re 420/421 or Re 620 Cargo. I will be running the Roco cars with some of the Liliput container cars as a separate postal train, also with a Cargo lok (maybe Re 482 or Re 620).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c