Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Andy Foster  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2010 08:55:16(UTC)
Andy Foster

hello

I use an intellibox and windigipet 8.4 to run my marklin layout via a computer. I have several mfx locomotives with more than 5 functions. Is it possible to access additional functions with another address on both the intellibox and windigipet.
I am thinking of upgrading the intellibox to either the intellibox 2 or marklin central station 60214. I will also be upgrading to the latest version of Windigipet. if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

Andy
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2010 10:10:25(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I can't speak for Windigipet, but the IB can access 9 function (f0 through f8) with mfx decoders using 2 addresses.
CV 1: primary address; CV 75: secondary address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2010 10:14:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Andy Foster wrote:
hello

I use an intellibox and windigipet 8.4 to run my marklin layout via a computer. I have several mfx locomotives with more than 5 functions. Is it possible to access additional functions with another address on both the intellibox and windigipet.
I am thinking of upgrading the intellibox to either the intellibox 2 or marklin central station 60214. I will also be upgrading to the latest version of Windigipet. if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

Andy

Full mFx functionality was not available in WindigiPet (English edition) until version 2009. Even then, you need a control unit that understands mFx - intellibox does not understand mFx, but you can control 8 (F1-F8) functions by setting the second decoder address this will work with WDP 8.4 (I think).. I can't remember the detail and unfortunately my old intellibox fried itself nearly four years ago, so I can't experiment to provide the steps for you... Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2010 14:00:51(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Long time since we had an Intellibox thread going. If you are changing then I would go for the Marklin CS2 which should keep up to date. Cant help with running via a computer as to which is or more importantly will be the best.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2018 17:05:11(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The Intellibox has for more than a decade supported F0 through f8 without any secondary address.

For manual control:
To access F5-F8 press the LOC button and the F1 through F8 keys at the same time
Functions F9 through F19 can be accessed through a secondary address, by calling up that address and accessing the functions F0 through F8

Using software control:
F0 through F8 have always been supported.
Software can of course do the same as a human by sending the commands to the secondary address.

This all works even with version 1 of the firmware.

Version 2 of the firmware added programming commands to access functions F9 through F28 directly using the primary address.
It also added the ability to access F9 through F12 using the keyboard and native access to F5 - F8 for mfx decoders.
http://uhlenbrock.com/de...-Software-Upgrade-V2.pdf
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline White Buffalo  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2018 05:00:05(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Dale, do you think this procedure will work with ESU decoders as well? Or is this a different protocol/language?
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 18 June 2018 07:37:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
The Intellibox has for more than a decade supported F0 through f8 without any secondary address.
For DCC decoders the IB supports 9999 functions per address.
For MM decoders there is a protocol limit of 5 functions per address.

The IB uses two MM addresses internally when you use a single MM address with the IB to control F0 through F8. You do not have to access a different address on the IB, because the IB automatically uses the follow-up address internally. But the MM protocol needs two MM addresses to get more than 5 functions.

Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
Dale, do you think this procedure will work with ESU decoders as well? Or is this a different protocol/language?
This thread is very old and before 2008 all mfx decoders were ESU decoders.
For decoders that support MM, mfx, and DCC you should use DCC to avoid the limit of 5 functions per address.
With modern mfx decoders you can use 4 MM addresses to get 15 functions (Märklin) or 17 functions (ESU).
But I assume the IB only uses 2 MM addresses automatically, so you may have to use two addresses on the IB to get beyond F8.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 18 June 2018 12:33:24(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Tom's reply is good. (I think the extended function support applies to firmware 2.0 and above)

ESU make MM (Motorola) decoders and others that are not MM.

In addition not all MM decoders are mfx. My Mobile Crane and Köf loco have the programmable on the main decoders but they are not mfx.

There may also be non-MM and non-mfx decoders that go into programming mode in a similar same way that Märklin ones do but I don't know of them.

Some of this is protocol specific. If you have an Intellibox, buying DCC decoders will work very well. More speed steps, proper programming track configuration etc... I think ESU make the best ones out there.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com